Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:21:24 PM
714349 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Roger Ebert bashes original GODZILLA « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Roger Ebert bashes original GODZILLA  (Read 8100 times)
Chris K.
« on: July 02, 2004, 10:39:24 AM »

You would think that a critic like Roger Ebert would realize that the miniature buildings were not constructed out of cardboard and the rubber suited costume was not cheaply made? But then, this is Roger Ebert: a man who hasn't the ability to do any of his homework even if his life depended on it! And what do you know, he has seen the re-issue of the original GODZILLA and his review is up. The results: a low rating and the typical comment "bad film". Ebert put alot of thought in his review, and yet Ebert really missed the point of the film. Even comparing it to FARENHEIGHT 9/11 in terms of it's political message is as absurd as Ebert saying the special effects of Eiji Tsuburaya were not revolutionary for their time (And yet Ebert doesn't seem to realize that the effects were state-of-the-art and revolutionary for their time; and like the original KING KONG, the effects work in GODZILLA really stunned people back then).

Despite my bitiching, I do realize that this is an opinion of a critic. What really irks me is that he treats the film like many other classic B-movies like they were really nothing worth noting. And for a film historian, Ebert just really has no clue on why a film like GODZILLA is appreciated. Sure, it's 60 years old and in black-and-white, but it has more atmosphere and story, and even the effects work still has a certain creative charm that can be effective when you suspend disbelief (something Ebert can't do, I assume). Yeah, and his review for FARENHEIGHT 9/11 makes me really want to rush to my local theatre and pay $7.50 to see it. Sorry, but I'll watch GODZILLA instead. I'm just really disgusted by these critics who act like they know what is good or bad, but boy they sure know how to pick the real lousy ones. Oh well, enough of my b***hing, here is his crappy review if you really care what this hack has to say:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/ebert1/wkp-news-godzilla02f.html

Looking at Eberts review, it's much more innane than his "review" for Lucio Fulci's re-issue of THE BEYOND. And that's saying alot.

daveblackeye15
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004, 11:48:36 AM »

OOOOOH! He was a bit too harsh for me, he went over the line and he's not only insulted Gojira but me as well. As you said he needs to suspend his disbelieve.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2004, 02:11:23 PM »

Roger Ebert can go f**k his mother for all I care.  Goddammit, big-time movie critics suck!  Why don't they let people like us, who actually KNOW THINGS ABOUT MOVIES, write these articles?

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
nobody
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2004, 02:21:12 PM »

I don't know about Godzilla. I've never seen the movie myself. But Ebert has given some terrible movies the "thumbs up"- most recently for example, "Garfield" the movie. If that doesn't fully discredit the guy, nothing will.
Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2004, 02:35:22 PM »

hes just getting kickbacks from the studios to give crap a passing grade.

save the world, kill a politician or two.
nobody
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2004, 02:47:49 PM »

I'm not sure it's kickbacks he's interested in... I think he's just seriously retarded.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2004, 03:03:13 PM »

If I was particularly concerned about someone else's opinion of a movie would I be posting on a message board at a site called "badmovies.org"?

I'll read others opinions, sure, but I don't really worry about whether or nor I agree

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Chris K.
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2004, 03:09:58 PM »

True to form, it is another persons opinion, and rightly so. Does it really bother me? Not really, but I think it's just interesting. And in the long run, my $7.50 will go to GODZILLA, if I can just plan a date to go see it!
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2004, 03:20:53 PM »

i dont really listen to critics reviews anyway. if all the critics said spider man 2 sucked i would saw it anyway. people have to remember that critics are just giving thier opinon. their just on tv and write in magzines and we dont do etiher. i think people take thier reviews like facts sometimes. i like godzilla since iwas little. some critic aint going to change that and i think most of the people on the board will agree.

"I know I know ive been exposed permeant psychoses..
at least the colors are nice"- Aeon Flux

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2004, 04:43:10 PM »

I disagree with Ebert's review of the original "Godzilla" (heck, I even liked the Raymond Burr version of "Godzilla"), but I don't really take it personally. It's just his opinion. However, I think it's a bit unfair to criticize a Godzilla movie about its special effects (because, frankly, what were you expecting when you came in?, and the average cost of a Japanese movie has always been about one quarter the cost of an American movie). I think perhaps Ebert was a bit jaded by the tradional Western consensus of Japanese monster movies ("they're all low-budget crap for undemanding children").
Chris K.
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2004, 05:12:05 PM »

Bubba Ho-Tep wrote:

> However, I think it's a bit unfair to criticize a Godzilla
> movie about its special effects (because, frankly, what were
> you expecting when you came in?, and the average cost of a
> Japanese movie has always been about one quarter the cost of an
> American movie). I think perhaps Ebert was a bit jaded by the
> tradional Western consensus of Japanese monster movies
> ("they're all low-budget crap for undemanding children").

Exactly! Thank you, Bubba Ho-Tep for making this comment. Here was Ebert's chance to see a non-English dubbed pic in original ratio and uncut, with the mindeset on when the film was made and what important timeframe it was (i.e., Japan's postwar after WW2), and yet the Western mentality of Japanese monster movies has not changed. And for a guy who likes THE SEVEN SAMURAI, Ebert sure missed the boat with GODZILLA.

As for the review in general, I don't take it too personally. But it really upsets me that a well-known mainstream critic/film historian just doesn't do his homework and it shows in his review (hell, he admits it in his "Answer Man" column). He may like the film or not, which is fine, but please do the homework!

Plus, Ebert should know this fact: the first GODZILLA was released in Japan and aimed towards the serious adult rather than the young child, which throws out the "they're all low-budget crap for undemanding children".
daveblackeye15

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2004, 06:10:01 PM »

Yeah, Bubba Ho-Tep you got it right. As you said "Ebert should have done his homework" and Gojira was not for children it was aimed at children. That part is what got me kinda annoyed about his review.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
JohnL

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2004, 09:32:34 PM »

Ebert often plain gets his facts wrong. I also think he occasionally goes back and changes his reviews when such mistakes are pointed out to him.

For example, I clearly remember reading his review of Mars Attacks and he had a small rant about how a love story had been inserted between Natalie Portman and Lucas Haas, when she tells him at the end "You got a girlfriend.". Umm, no, she ASKED him "You got a girlfriend?". I knew it was a question and not a statement the first time I saw the movie. I've gone back to look up that review and that part is no longer in it.

That's just a minor mistake. I've read reviews where he completely misunderstands part of the plot or what's happened to a character and then says the film doesn't make sense. I can't think of any examples right now, but I know I've seen them.
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2004, 10:27:39 PM »

If you really want a bad one, check out his review for Wet Hot American Summer. I don't care whether you agree with him or nor, that's just painfully bad writing.

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
StatCat
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2004, 10:45:00 PM »

Ebert is a total moron and it's just been made more obvious right here.

So I guess there is going to be a 50th anniversary run of Godzilla? Haven't heard this until now.

-----------------------------------------------------
Wear a suit and tie when I'd rather sit and die
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Roger Ebert bashes original GODZILLA « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.