Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:52:29 PM
713375 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  FAHRENHEIT 9/11 « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Author Topic: FAHRENHEIT 9/11  (Read 46743 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 04, 2004, 08:39:20 AM »

Let me start off by saying that I think Michael Moore acted like an idiot when he went off on his tirade against President Bush at the Academy Awards.  Let me also say that I do not have any allegiance to any political party.  I am an Independent.  Sometimes I agree with the Republicans, sometimes I agree with the Democrats, sometimes I agree with the lesser-known political parties, sometimes I think they are all full of hot air.

Anyway, I saw FAHRENHEIT 9/11 yesterday, and here are my thoughts:

1.  I am glad that Michael Moore admitted that he editorializes throughout the movie, because he does.  The movie is an all out attack on George Bush and his administration, carefully edited together to show only the negative side of every issue, and full of Michael Moore's voiceover opinions;

2.  The movie is often funny and amusing, regardless of which side of the fence you might be on;

3.  The movie is also depressing;

4.  The last 30 minutes tend to drag.  I think the movie would flow better if they cut about 10 minutes out of it.

Do you need to see it in a theater?  No.  Wait for video, DVD, television or whatever.  The only reason you might want to see it in a theater is to experience audience reactions.  I had a group of Bush haters sitting behind me who kept cackling every time the movie made fun of Bush or his cronies.  They kept saying stuff like, "Oh, my God" every time the movie showed something "shocking" about Bush's policies or business dealings.  At the end they stomped their feet and applauded and made asses of themselves just like Michael Moore did at the Oscars.

My overall opinion:  Michael Moore knows how to assemble documentary footage in a way that will (for the most part) hold an audience's attention.  However, he blames the Bush administration for cover-ups and "spin doctoring," yet Moore himself is guilty of these things throughout this film.  He is like a sleight of hand illusionist who lets you see only what he wants you to see.  This is okay.  It is a free country and he has a right to express his opinions.  The danger is that many people will think that they are watching an unbiased representation of reality when they see this movie,  But that isn't Michael Moore's fault, it's the fault of the misinformed public.

Overall, I'd say I believe about 10% of what Moore is saying.  The other 90% is VERY SUSPICIOUS . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
lester1/2jr
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2004, 10:44:37 AM »

I kind of agree.  He is like a lawyer making his case and he does it well, particularly on Bush himself.  Bureacracy gets in the way of important things getting done, etc.  That was the strongest stuff.  But I don't really have a problem with people mkaing money on a war, particularly if it helps getting rid of hussein who to me was just in a whole other catagory of dictator.  I'd like to see someone in Iran or Syria make a movie like this about their government hahahaha
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2004, 02:45:55 PM »

I liked Fahrenheit 9/11, but there were a few things that bothered me. First of all, those shots that they put in of Iraq before the war, with all the kinds on playgrounds and flying kites and dancing in the streets? The war may be unjustified, but let's not act like Iraq was heaven on earth.
Also, there's that mother whose son died in Iraq who is featured prominently in the second half. I have a suspicion that the interview taken with her before her son's death (with her being a pro-was conservative) was staged. It just looks too good to be true.
Max Gardner
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 10:37:40 PM »

Moore was accompanied throughout the Fahrenheit 9/11 project by the New Yorker's top fact checker.  I have no particular reason to believe he'd lie outright, as the stakes are rather high to allow any sort of loophole in his credibility.  Certainly, he contextualizes footage to suit his anti-Bush agenda, but he's said as much.  As for the case of Lila Lipscomb, it wouldn't be the first time someone's hubristic bubble was popped by a quick, nasty shot of reality.
Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 10:42:31 PM »

Michal Moore is still Rick Moranis loudmouth fatter evil twin.

save the world, kill a politician or two.
Chris K.
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2004, 10:53:13 PM »

Michael Moore has rarely interested me, both politically and filmmaking-wise. I've seen BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE and, for a documentary, it was nicely put together. However, on the issue of being "accurate" and "truthful", it can be challenged. FAHRENHEIT 9/11 hasn't really kept my interest, but I will say that I await for the DVD release instead.

Speaking on the topic of FAHRENHEIT 9/11-and not to take it on a too political route-I'm getting a bit tired of the radio Conservatives like Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, etc. being all in a huff about the film. True to form, it is an Anti-Bush film. And coming from the likes of Michael Moore, Limbaugh and Hannity act as if they are quite suprised by this. They shouldn't be; it's typical Moore and it's no suprise. However, what worries me is their "double standard" approach to the film. Rush Limbaugh is a perfect example: weeks ago when the film first opened, Limbaugh recieved an on-air caller asking Limbaugh's opinion on making a petition to ban the film for playing in theatres. Limbaugh's response: give it a shot. Funny, because when Limbaugh attended a private screening of THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST and singing praises towards the film, he also was telling the Jewish Community rallying against the film to basically "Get a life" and give it up. For a guy who says he doesn't have double standards and is not for full censorship (which he has been lately re-canting with more double standards), he sure is showing a different side here. Just something to think about.

Me personally: I choose not to see the film. My personal preference. But, FAHRENHEIT 9/11 doesn't need to be banned. Maybe avoided, but not refused a theatrical showing.

Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2004, 11:05:57 PM »

I liked it a lot, though I didn't think it was nearly as artfully done or as entertaining as his other movies. I think that this is probably due to the fact that its focus was a lot more narrow than his others; Bowling for Columbine was about a lot more than the Columbine massacre. Still, I'm glad it's out, and getting the widespread release that it is. (For the record, I agree for the most part with Moore's views, though I do agree that he can be a bit overbearing at times)

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2004, 04:13:46 PM »

Rick Moranis?! Whatever.
lester1/2jr
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2004, 04:24:39 PM »

I came away from the movie feeling like we really haven't had a president for the last 4 years.  More like a committe headed by Condi Rice and Dick Cheney.
Acidburn
Bad Movie Lover

When I was your age, television was called Books!

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2004, 04:28:11 PM »

That is exactly the kind of things he wants you to think.   Do not believe anything you see in this movie.  it is propaganda plane and simple.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The flowers are still standing...
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2004, 05:00:45 PM »

Here's  all I will say about this subject:

Michael  Moore  -  a dickhead who bends the truth to fit his agenda

Sean Hannity  -   a dickhead who bends the truth to fit his agenda

Rush  Limbaugh - a  dopefiend dickhead who bends the truth to fit hi agenda

If I left someone out please keep it to yourself.  Farenheiht 9/11 is making a big splash because of all the news media free publicity it  got for being  'controvesial', the same way the Passion of the Christ  did.  Everyone has to run out and see what  it's about.  It probably won't convince anyone to change their point of view unless they were already leaning that way.  

p.s.  You can add Bill O'Reilly to that list  as well as the great majority of  politicians both  Democrat and Republican.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Writer
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2004, 03:59:55 AM »

Heh. This piece of obvious crap succeeds at making money only by appealing to the comfortable fictions of the "blue state" leftists. I imagine a film in the same style taking the exact opposite position could raise an equal amount from the "red state" righties, although of course it would be villified by the same 90% of newspaper film critics who are currently pretending this leftist crap from Michael Moore is the greatest thing since sliced bread. After all, a film showing that the Democrats really are anti-capitalist anti-life anti-Christian anti-American haters of all humanity would rather tend to puncture every fiction our far-left media monster tends to believe. (Remember, we're talking about people who didn't even know anyone who knew anyone who'd voted for Reagan, here....)

In fact, as I recall, that's what a whole lot of these critics did to the Passion, albeit for puncturing a different set of popular fictions. (Turns out, to no one's surprise, that the far left also believes everything Pontius Pilate's enemies said against him, thinks Caiaphas deserves our sympathy, and only listens to  theological "scholars" who attack everything the Bible says.) In my local paper, one critic was such a moron that he even knocked the film for not advocating gun control! Gun control in ancient Rome? "Hey, Peter, don't you know there's a five-day waiting period on that sword?" Ha! Gimme a break!
beatrix
New Visitor

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2004, 09:16:05 AM »

So, anyone hear going to buy the book "Michael Moore is a Big Fat Stupid White Man" (Jason Clark, David T. Hardy) or see the documentary by Michael Wilson "Michael Moore Hates America"?  If the leftist media pushed Michael Moore's film than I am sure the rightist media will do the same for these.  Personally I am interested in seeing both sides of the coin.

"I assure you the thought never even crossed my mind, lord."
"Indeed?  Then if I were you I'd sue my face for slander." ...T. Pratchet
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2004, 11:27:31 AM »

I'm a little concerned with the warm reception the movie has gotten here in Canada, from the folks who just aren't comfortable with that Bush fellow (although many can't give a good reason why). Up here, people like politicians who pay a lot of patriotic lip service, while not doing anything to offend anyone (or anything at all). As a nation, we're kind of obsessed with being liked. Politicians who stand for something, left or right, make a lot of Canadians nervous. Helps that only a minority bother to get any facts for themselves. Our federal election last week was true to form - middle-of-the-road government whose highest priority is holding onto power. Goes nicely with our country's whole doormat mentality.

Personally, I can't speak to the content of the movie, because I haven't seen it. I generally believe in seeing something before I criticize it, but in this case, I don't want to do like everyone else, and give my money to an a***ole like Moore just to satisfy my curiosity. This is especially true because I think the whole sensationalistic idea is in very poor taste. This seems to be the secret to Moore's success - tie your movie to a horrific tragedy that touched a lot of people, promise to provide some additional insight, and watch the money roll in. Moore is being hailed as an important filmmaker, and basking in the publicity, by hitching his wagon to a major disaster. Sick.

I don't care if he does say he's doing a service to society, or even believes it himself. It's all about his ego and his wallet. Feel like a bigshot by shooting at the biggest target you can find. Make yourself feel important by taking down somebody who has accomplished more than you could.

I used to work for an editor like that. Over about 25 years, he went from promising young newspaper entrepreneur to local crank. At first, people listened to him and believed him, then they debated what he said, then they hated him, then they laughed at him, then they ignored him, even when he made a good point. Oh, he always had supporters, but most people couldn't stand the constant negativity and paranoia and egotism. And nobody could try to accomplish anything without him sticking his nose in. He got worse and worse, lost what credibility he had left, and was eventually run out of town. By that time, I really think his cheese was slipping off his cracker, so to speak.

Looking forward to seeing it happen to Michael Moore, the arrogant smartass.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
maria paula
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2004, 11:30:07 AM »

andy c wrote

"I'm a little concerned with the warm reception the movie has gotten here in Canada, from the folks who just aren't comfortable with that Bush fellow (although many can't give a good reason why). "

i could give u some good reasons.

pauli
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  FAHRENHEIT 9/11 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.