Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:42:03 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  3D « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 3D  (Read 3931 times)
Susan
3D
« on: July 05, 2004, 01:03:18 PM »

Are there any particularly good 3D movies out there? I don't mean IMAX either. Good ol' fashioned movies. I was remembering as a kid how once in awhile there would be a promotional thing and they'd show a 3D movie on tv.  One of them I recall as my first was "Gorilla at large", which was very hammy but I was little and the whole idea was kinda fun..heck we just thought the glasses were cool even tho our mothers told us we'd go blind if we kept wearing them around. I wonder why they never show anymore on tv - I can see to an extent kids are spoiled with their lavish cgi movies. But it was fun to sit and adjust your tv with the goofy old guy in th suit and watch a really bad movie with those glasses and a bowl of popcorn. I still have an old pair of glasses from the last 3D movie i ever saw on tv, I don't recall the name it either, i guess it's on the glasses which are put up in a drawer somewhere. What were some of your favorite 3D movie memories?

I haven't been to these new imax and themepark places that show 3d or 4d movies, are the glasse even the same?

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 01:29:23 PM »

I used to love those. I still have a tape somewhere of a Halloween double feature of the Mad Magician (Vincent Price) and Gorilla at Large, with the Three Stooges short, Spooks (also 3-D), in between. I can also remember seeing Revenge of the Creature and other movies on TV. I used to have several pairs of glasses that I accumulated from these. Don't know if they're still kicking around somewhere.

I used to look forward to the occasional 3-D special on TV in the 80s, as did many of my friends. Wish they'd still do it.

I would just be satisfied if all the old 3-D movies were released on DVD with the 3-D intact. That used to p**s me off when a 3-D movie came out on video without the 3-D. With DVDs, it should be possible to offer both versions. I'd love to see some of the old classics, as well as a few from the 80s, like Parasite, Treasure of the Four Crowns, Metalstorm and Spacehunter. Not to mention Friday the 13th Part 3, Amityville 3D and Jaws 3D. Some might be better than others, but the 3-D effect is still fun.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 03:36:19 PM »

Probably the best 3-D movie of all is HOUSE OF WAX with Vincent Price.  ANDY WARHOL'S FRANKENSTEIN is another good one.  I have 3-D versions of both on DVD.  You need the special "shutter" glasses and the synchronization box to watch them.

CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON and IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE are also pretty good.  JAWS 3-D, FRIDAY THE 13TH, PART 3, SPACEHUNTER, and that DESTRUCTION OF JARED SYN movie (I can't remember the full title) have some good effects, but the movies stink.

I have some other 3-D movies that require the shutter glasses, such as HUNTING SEASON, ZOMBIE CHRONICALS and CAMP BLOOD.  They were all shot on video and are pretty cheesy, but some of the 3-D effects are decent.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Jay
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 04:00:52 PM »

that DESTRUCTION OF JARED SYN movie (I can't remember the full title)

MetalStorm
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 04:09:17 PM »

"House of Wax" is by far the best, just for that scene with the paddleball guy.
Susan
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2004, 05:10:52 PM »

Burgo - what's the difference in shutter glasses and 3D?

peter johnson
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2004, 06:55:01 PM »

Alfred Hitchcock's "Dial M For Murder" was originally released in 3-D.  I caught it in Boulder, back when they still had single-screen art-houses, in 1983.  Really amazing scene wherein the gal reaches out of the screen & into your lap for the scissors she uses to stab one of the bad guys!
peter johnson
Deej
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2004, 07:12:49 PM »

The only 3-D film I've ever seen is John Wayne's Hondo. It was on the local Fox station when I was a kid, and you had to buy the glasses at 7-11. I recorded it, and watched it a few times, but strangely, the 3-D eventually wore out, not sure if it was the tape or my eyes.

Everyone has potentially fatal flaws, but yours involve a love of soldiers' wives, an insatiable thirst for whiskey, and the seven weak points in your left ventricle.

DJ
The Burgomaster

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2004, 08:10:57 PM »

Susan wrote:

"Burgo - what's the difference in shutter glasses and 3D?"

Nothing.  The shutter glasses system is just another type of 3-D system.  Instead of having red and green lenses, or gray polarized lenses, you have gray lenses that operate on an electric shutter system.  The lenses "flicker" on a rapid alternating pattern (right eye, left eye, right eye, etc.) that synchronizes with the flickering of the picture.  If you watch the movie without the glasses, the picture appears blurry and vibrates (it will give you a quick headache).  When you put the glasses on, it produces a 3-D effect.  You can buy the glasses and the synchronization box online.  I have also seen them in Best Buy.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
JohnL

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2004, 10:45:33 PM »

>What were some of your favorite 3D movie memories?

None. 3D doesn't work for me since I only have sight in my left eye.
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2004, 10:56:43 PM »

I recently caught a midnight 3-D screening of an old kung-fu movie, Revenge of the Shogun Women, at the Coolidge Corner Theater in Boston. A lot of it worked pretty well, including possibly the most tasteless use of 3-D ever: In a long pillaging scene, there's a shot of a raider raping a woman, with her leg sticking out into the audience!

The most memorable part of that experience, though, came after the movie. When the movie ended (around 2 in the morning), we decided to walk back to my friend's dorm wearing the glasses. We had barely left the theater when a cab drove by, and the passenger rolled down his window and screamed, "THIS IS THE REAL WORLD, NOT 3-D, MOTHERf**kERS!!!" Doesn't even make sense when you think about it.

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Acidburn
Bad Movie Lover

When I was your age, television was called Books!

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2004, 08:21:31 AM »

My son and myself just recently watch a 3D version of Shreck.  You should be able to find it at any wal-mart or store like that. It was actually very fun since it was my sons first 3D movie.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The flowers are still standing...
james
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2004, 10:44:08 AM »

hi,
whtat up.......read your message on your 3d dvd of house of wax and the others you mentioned.......i have the shutter glasses also...i was wondering could you help me out...... on those titles......can i get any of thease copys...if so  please help.....                                          thanx james...

james
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2004, 10:45:55 AM »

hi,
whtat up.......read your message on your 3d dvd of house of wax and the others you mentioned.......i have the shutter glasses also...i was wondering could you help me out...... on those titles......can i get any of thease copys...if so  please help.....                                          thanx james...
The Burgomaster

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2004, 10:56:50 AM »

james:

I bought HOUSE OF WAX and ANDY WARHOL'S FRANKENSTEIN on Ebay.  The guy who was selling them also had some other titles like JAWS 3-D, DIAL M FOR MURDER, etc.  The HOUSE OF WAX print is very good.  The FRANKENSTEIN print is pretty good, but the picture jumps in several places and is a bit scratchy at times.  I think they are DVDs that he created himself, maybe from imported VHS tapes or something.   The other movies like CAMP BLOOD and ZOMBIE CHRONICLES are available online (I can't remember the website, but if you search for those titles or search for 3-D, you will probably find the site).  I have also seen them in Best Buy.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  3D « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.