Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:14:46 AM
713384 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Actor trends « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Actor trends  (Read 3891 times)
Perk
Bad Movie Lover

« on: July 06, 2004, 12:05:12 PM »

OK. Now I don't know about the rest of you but I feel that Christopher Lambert is not the greatest actor in the world. However I like his movies. That being said I have come to see that his movies follow two distinctive patterns (okay maybe not all of his movies but a few that I actually like and or saw). He always has some traumatic experience involving a dying wife (Highlander) A dying kid (Resurrection) someone getting raped (Highlander, although he didn't find out until a few hundred years later) or girlfriends getting killed (Knight moves). That I can understand. However it is his second feat that really p**ses me off. I have only really seen it in 2 movies (Highlander 2 Renegade Version, and Knight Moves) this feat is the ability to make out with a chick almost five seconds after they meet. In the case of Knight Moves he p**ses the chick off, I turn away and the next thing I know he's in bed with her, not to mention that his "girlfriend" was killed 2 days earlier (but he says he was seeing her casually but o well). In Highlander he kills some people and then says, "I am Conner McLeod of the clan McLeod and I cannot die and then they make out.

That’s frustrating. I don’t know why. Maybe I'm just bitter because that never happened to me, no matter how many times I tried. (I'm Jason Perkins of the clan Perkins and I am I mortal. Hey come back why are you running?)

Ok back to the real reason for writing this topic. Certain actors make movies that follow a trend. Lambert and his traumatic make out stories, Casper Van Dien hating anything not human, Bruce Campbell being a wise ass. SO I'm asking you guys to list actors and their little trends that either make you keep watching their movies or just p**s you off.

Well that was fun...in a f****in' sick, terrible, not at all fun kinda way.
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 12:09:29 PM »

Tim Thomerson being Tim Thomerson :)

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Acidburn
Bad Movie Lover

When I was your age, television was called Books!

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 01:22:00 PM »

I am not sure, but I think he was in a movie call something like "The 18th angel"  or something like that.  That did not have to do with anyone dying.  But I could be totally wrong, may not have even been him in the movie. It has been a very long time since I have seen it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The flowers are still standing...
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 01:35:10 PM »

How about someone who plays the same character in every movie? Charlie Chaplin's 'little tramp' for example.

Besides that, Woody Allen is neurotic in just about every one of his films.
Acidburn
Bad Movie Lover

When I was your age, television was called Books!

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 01:40:26 PM »

That is bacuse Woody allen really is neurotic and is not a good enough actor to play somone who is not,.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The flowers are still standing...
Kory
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2004, 05:23:21 PM »

Gabriel Byrne seems to play the devil quite a bit.
IguanaGirl
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2004, 05:42:16 PM »

This one isnt a character trend, but a quality trend I suppose. I will usually see a Johnny Depp movie because they are almost always interesting and unusual in some way. He seems to have a knack of picking good scripts, or the just plain weird, such as Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Fry: "Im having one of those things. You know, a headache, with pictures!"
Yaddo42
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2004, 09:00:15 PM »

Most of the Steven Seagal flicks I've seen portray him as this sneaky and seemingly invulnerable martial arts/sharpshooter/avenging angel; "Marked for Death" and "Executive Decision" being rare exceptions. I don't recall him getting into a martial arts fight where he had an even fight with a foe that seemed credible. I rarely get a sense than his character is in danger even as the action happens around him. Which just stretchs the suspension of disbelief more and more as he gets older and fatter and he moves even more stiffly than usual. Even John Wayne knew how to play into his image as he got older, having character underestimate him because he was old, or having to hand off activities to a younger cohort or his character's sons.

Most Adam Sandler films seem to follow the pattern of him being a lazy but happy misfit underachiever, often slowwitted but sincere, who must either rise to some challenge to save the family business; rescue a grandmother from debt, foreclosure, the nuthouse, etc; or to win the love of a girl percieved as too good for him (sometimes these are combined in one film). Invariably the very quality that makes him the misfit he is at the beginning saves the day and the people who look down at him are defeated, revealed as crooks or frauds and/or humiliated. The soundtrack is usually filled with the same tired songs that have been played to death on classic rock radio; and he throws in some cameos or supporting roles for untalented SNL and comedy chums like Rob Schneider.

Christopher Lambert did play an amoral bad guy in "Mean Guns", who kept a lillte girl around who we were meant to think was his daughter, but she really hated him. Beyond that he had no real character development (but one really good line), but since it was an ALbert Pyun movie no one had much character development.
JohnL

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2004, 12:56:59 AM »

>Christopher Lambert did play an amoral bad guy in "Mean Guns", who kept a
>lillte girl around who we were meant to think was his daughter, but she really
>hated him.

At one point he tells another character that she really was his daughter. And I don't remember any scenes that showed that she hated him.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2004, 11:38:26 AM »

I've mentioned this one before - Bill Paxton as a loudmouthed jackass. Prior to Twister, that was all I'd ever seen him play, and he played it well.

Good call on Johnny Depp. His characters are nearly always weird, or at least quirky, yet no two are alike. He's great.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2004, 11:57:00 PM »

If you want to see Bill Paxton at his most jackassish, check out The Dark Backward. Easily one of the most hilariously repulsive human beings in any movie, ever.

As for actor trends, I need only quote the Pinky & the Brain parody of Apocolypse Now:

PINKY: *Gasp* Wasn't that Dennis Hopper? I love him! Did you see the one where he plays the manic sociopath?

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Yaddo42
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2004, 06:14:39 AM »

Re: Chistopher Lambert and "Mean Guns"

IMDB says the girl is his daughter as well, but I vaguely remember a scene at the end when the Deborah Van Valkenburgh character retrieves the girl and she mentions Lambert to the girl, who says that he wasn't her father. Possibly she says he was "a creep" who kidnapped her. I may be wrong, it has been a while and I don't have a copy of the film, but that seems like what I saw and the girl didn't seem too worked up over his death. Strange either way.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2004, 10:11:00 AM »

Deborah Van Valkenburgh? That must be one quality movie to feature the brunette from Too Close for Comfort. Wow, now I know of two things she's been in :)

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
SadClown
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2004, 10:57:55 AM »

Julia Roberts is usually the whore w/a heart of gold......
Hugh Jackman is always a smart ass/bad ass......
hhmmm... Christopher Walken is always creepy....
i think that once an actor/actress plays a certain part really well casting directors are just going to see them in that role... and it's not like they're gonna be like "No! I don't want 20 million dollars to say  the same lines over and over agian."LOL....
Surprisingly enough Brad Pitt (wiping the drool from my chin) is a great actor and can play very diverse roles.... hmm or maybe i was just blinded by his striking good looks.... it's possible
And i fully agree that Johnny Depp plays strange characters.. but does it well.... i love him....
Fearless Freep

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2004, 11:08:20 AM »

i think that once an actor/actress plays a certain part really well casting directors are just going to see them in that role...

I suspect it's the other way around.

I think a writer/director/casting director will see a role and think "who would fit in this role, I know...so-and-so does this really well, let's get him/her"

I don't think it's a case of "Actor A can only get work doing X because  that's all anyone sees him as" but "Actor A keeps getting offered a lot of work as X because the director wants X andActor A is really good at it so he keeps getting the call"

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Actor trends « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.