Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:24:05 PM
714238 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Urban Warriors: The Science of Crap. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Urban Warriors: The Science of Crap.  (Read 4587 times)
Flangepart
« on: September 22, 2001, 11:14:06 AM »

Did it ever occur to anyone, that this film defines a new oxymoron? " Warrior scientest". Goes from lab coat to camos in seconds! Can use a slide rule (pre 70's) or Calculator (Post 70's) as a deadly wepon! "Here, choke on higher math, mutant scum!". Sure, its possable......but ya' better set the scene for it, or the audience can't be blaimed for yelling "Baloney!". Sure, Spock can fight,....hummmm..how many "Battle scientest" can you name? And what new Oxymorons do you think belong in the B-movie hall of fame?
Jay O'Connor
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2001, 07:37:17 PM »

Buckaroo Banzai
Mofo Rising
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2001, 09:33:56 PM »

A little off-topic, but there was a comic that came out a few years back called TWO-FISTED SCIENCE.  It was actually about Richard Feynman, but, man, what a great title.

I for one would like to see more warrior-scientists.  Sure, there was quite an upsurgence of scientist heros in the eighties.  REAL GENIUS, GHOSTBUSTERS, etc.  But there hasn't been any scientists that really kick ass.

Maybe Herbert West, Re-animator, but he was a villain.
AndyC
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2001, 11:38:39 AM »

Some of the 50's sci-fi movies featured a rugged, he-man variety of scientist, although they weren't really warriors. Dr. Cal Meecham, from This Island Earth, would be one of the better examples.

Cartoons and comics have many examples of scientists and engineers who actually duke it out with the bad guys when necessary. Guys like Reed Richards and Tony Stark immediately spring to mind.
Gerry
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2001, 11:50:29 AM »

The true warrior scientist:  Doc Savage!
Apostic
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2001, 08:32:25 PM »

'how many "Battle scientest" can you name?'

Start by counting the field technicians in the military, of which I was one.  It's an awesome career choice when you get to use basic electronic engineering principles to accomplish an emergency repair on a circuit board by fabricating on the spot components like inductors AND you get to shoot people when they're bad.

regards,

Apostic
Andrew
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2001, 08:51:42 PM »

In Flange's defense I have to say that the movie never once mentioned that Brad had any sort of military or police background.  Had they paid some lip service to that (then backed it up here and there) I would have been more forgiving.

Once again, scientists and doctors running around long after I am dead...

Andrew
Apostic
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2001, 11:44:07 PM »

"In Flange's defense I have to say that the movie never once mentioned that Brad had any sort of military or police background."

With respect, I must note that even if the HAD mentioned such a background, it still be as credible as JAG.

OK, combat lawyers.  THAT srikes me as amusing.

regards,

Apostic (who doesn't have to hide laughing at officers anymore)
Squishy
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2001, 05:01:04 AM »

"Don't thank me...thank the Earth's gravitational pull!"
--McGyver, on "The Simpsons"
Flangepart
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2001, 10:26:21 AM »

I diden't mean real guys, Apostic! I ment movie types who just don't look/act the part. A guy in our office was a Navy Comm tech on U.S.S. Whidby Island,( LSD-41), so i know what you ment. I ment, as Andrew said, guys who don't set some foundation for advanced asskicking. S.E.A.L.s and S.A.S. ect, are smart guys,and it shows. When it dosen't show, then my suspension of disbelief takes a hard chop to the windpipe. AH, an almost Battle Scientest, Artimus Gordon on the REAL Wild,Wild,West! Thats what i ment! :)
Apostic
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2001, 11:28:51 AM »

"...guys who don't set some foundation for advanced asskicking."

I suppose in the realm of cinematic stereotyping, that would be people like the machinegun accountant in The Untouchables.  Could that also be a supposition that people who look like nerds aren't expected to do well in a fight?  In the real world, I think a lot of people have made that miscalculation.  :)  And given how character stereotypes (as opposed to real characters) are often used in movies, it's a common standard.

Aside from shallow movies like Urban Warriors and Stealth Fighter, wouldn't it be nice to see credible characters with unexpected combat potential, like the machinegun accoutant above, that actually seems to fit the character and doesn't seem so much like a dichotomy?  In other words, something a tad more realistic?  After all, a few years ago, running a website was an activity for a defenseless milksop.  Or so anyone who believed in stereotypes could tell you.

But then, a "foundation for advanced asskicking" usually isn't revealed until the moment of truth.

regards,

Apostic
Sakerson
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2001, 11:54:04 AM »

What are some examples of the reverse of all of this?  Say, a football jock who also looks for cures for diseases ... or even knits sweaters.  Or a Ninja Master who does advanced particle physics (wait a minute ... Buck Bonzai comes to mind...).
Gerry
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2001, 01:07:10 PM »

How about Sly Stallone in DEMOLITION MAN--He knits sweaters!!!!

My DEMOLITION MAN Review
Apostic
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2001, 01:13:04 PM »

...or a commando extraordinaire who likes to do needlepoint and favors cats.  Just plain old ffolkes.

Or the mild mannered reporter for a major metropolitan newspaper who is...oh, you know that one already.

You want to talk about the really surprising dichotomies, both reel and real?  It ain't the whimp who can level a biker bar on a Saturday night.  It ain't the mountainoid with the intelectual career.  It's the nice guy who turns out to be a serial killer.  "He seemed like such a nice boy.  Who knew he was sodomizing those corpses in his basemen while chopping those women into tiny pieces."  (More recent examples about nice guys wuth a surprising secret come to mind, ya know.)

regards,

Apostic (who seems like a nice guy....)
Flangepart
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2001, 05:21:25 PM »

Hummmm....This is an intresting thought. I've read TO HELL AND BACK, and Audie Murphy's combat reality versis his apperiance does live up to Apostic's thought. This kid, like many, became a tiger in circumstances that would make most of us cower in our foxholes. Yet...who would have known? He dosen't LOOK like the "Type". The type being, as Terry Pratchett wrote.."Those men who,when asked their name, are given a pass on the third try." Richard Ira Bong...silly name...Great american Fighter ace. 40 kills, useing the P-38 aginst Japan. same thing...he diden't LOOK the type.....Hummm...how much does apperance decieve us, and throw off our expectations?
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Urban Warriors: The Science of Crap. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.