Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 10:03:20 AM
714259 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7737 Members
Latest Member: NannieHime
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  B-movie legend in the news! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: B-movie legend in the news!  (Read 1476 times)
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« on: July 14, 2004, 12:04:23 AM »

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2004/07/14/tarzans_tiger_shot_to_death_after_florida_escape/

Why is this relevant, you ask? Simple. While the article mentions that Steve Hawkes was in a couple Tarzan movies, they neglect to mention his shining moment: the hippie-eating, drug-addicted were-turkey in Blood Freak!

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Yaddo42
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 08:02:10 AM »

I saw this mentioned in several news crawls and figured they probably meant Ron Ely or Mike Henry, since they said "Tarzan" from the late 60s, until I looked closer. I didn't recognize the name Steve Hawkes, checked with IMDB, neither of his Tarzan films had permission to use the name from the Edgar Rice Burroughs estate, and apparently the name was altered when the films were released in English language territories, trying to avoid the obvious lawsuits. I didn't even know there were other unauthorized Tarzan films from that time besides the animated French one. I sure didn't know about Hawkes' being the main force behind "Blood Freak" ( a flick on my wish list of truly bad cinema to see some day), since I mostly know of the film from reading and reputation only. I wonder if Keith Olbermann featured this in the "Oddball" segment of his news show, he loves stuff like this.

Speaking of former Tarzan actors, has anyone else seen the Gorton's fish ads featuring "one film only Tarzan" Denny Miller as the fishing boat captain?
Yaddo42
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 05:37:20 AM »

Olbermann actually interviewed him Wednesday night, he seemed pretty torn up ( and maybe a little drunk, my WAG) about the tiger's death convinced the cops overreacted by not trying to use tranquilizers first. He also still has traces of his European accent. His name was given as Steve Sipek (his birth name apparently), and I looked for evidence of the burns he received on a film set years ago, but didn't see anything from the brief shots of his body or fooatge of him feeding another tiger. They made one mention of him playing Tarzan in a pretaped newspiece (and had a shot of a poster with a picture of him at the time) but no mention of his film career was made during the interview itself. And I guess "Blood Freak" would be hard to explain to regular folks in such a brief space of time without seeming to take a cheap shot at Hawkes/Sipek.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  B-movie legend in the news! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.