Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:39:08 PM
714383 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Anybody here read "Sin City"..... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anybody here read "Sin City".....  (Read 1812 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: July 16, 2004, 05:07:59 PM »

Evidently a series of  graphic novels written by Frank Miller (The Dark Knight Returns) . I've been seeing news about  the movie adaption that is being directed by Robert Rodriquez for a couple of monhs and  had read  that Rodriquez wanted to share directing credit with Frank Miller so he had to actually resign from the DGA in order for this to happen. I guess he couldn't share credit with someone who isn't in the guild.

Anyway there is an interview with Clive Owen over at  Empire Online and he says the whole thing is being shot against  a green screen so they can duplicate the backgrounds from the comic  panels.  He said it so faithful to the novels that if  there is a dialogue balloon on the panel that is what they are saying in the scene. Check out the article,  the cast is unbelievable.

Has anyone read any of these books? Kinda like to know  about them to see if they are worth a peak.  This definitely sounds like an interesting film in the making.  I' m glad to see directors that  take graphic novels and comics seriously in this way.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
raj

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 06:47:18 PM »

Haven't read the books or heard about them, but it looks like an interesting idea for a movie -- comic book style.
Tilebreaker
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 07:39:26 PM »

The frist one is pretty good, storywise aretwork wise. It's all in Black and white. I think it came out  around 1991.  classic pulp novel stuff, a girl, a guy, a mystery and some killing. It's been expanded on with a few sequels, "A Dame to kill for " 1993  was good, but the art got simpler, by the time "yellow bastard" came out 1996 (maybe) that was my last time picking up a Sin City comic, the stories seemed redundant.  The first Sin City- with Marv as the main character is worth picking up.
Pus
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 08:40:32 PM »

I think Frank Miller has a real talent to view things from a perspective that most authors don't normally use. Sin City is a great ride. If they make a movie, they'll most certainly need to make it in installments. There's just too much to gather in if they try to smash it all together. I loved all of them. Then again, I think Frank Miller is brilliant.

Cheese is good food. So are the movies. Not food that is, just cheese.
Tilebreaker
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 11:21:30 PM »

I wouldn't call him brilliant. He's maybe one of the better artist/writer guys around.  His one story on Spawn was awful- the worst of the guest writers.  Plus he lost a lot of my faith when Dark Knight Returns 2 came out.  It's pretty god awful.  Being a 3 issue series Saved it, cause if you got the first issue, then you'd pick up the second issue because maybe issue 1 would make sense. Then when issue 3, the finale, came out it was like "oh well it's the finale surely it will make sense"
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 11:51:59 PM »

yeah sin city is pretty good. i have to agree with tilebreaker frank millers has his up and downs but i also did lose some faith with the dark night returns 2.

"I know I know ive been exposed permeant psychoses..
at least the colors are nice"- Aeon Flux

Post Edited (07-17-04 03:21)

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2004, 07:42:31 AM »

Although I haven't read Sin City, I'm really excited about this flick.  It has to be something good if Rodriguez is dropping out of the director's guild for it.  There is also word that Tarantino will direct one particular scene in the film.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
trekgeezer

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2004, 09:48:13 AM »

The article I linked to said that Tarantino had been there directing a sequence.  It appears the movie will be split into story segments rather than being multiple movies.

Neville

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2004, 11:35:40 AM »

I've only read the first one. I found very good, although it took me some time to get used to the bareboned black and white drawings.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Gus Nukem
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2004, 12:04:44 PM »

DK2 was great.
trekgeezer

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2004, 04:21:56 PM »

Don't you love the way one person loves something and anothers hates it. Leaves you wondering if they read or saw the same thing you did.  

Diversity keeps the world turning I guess.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Anybody here read "Sin City"..... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.