Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:09:18 PM
714379 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Strange, Surreal, Weird, Outrageous Movies « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Strange, Surreal, Weird, Outrageous Movies  (Read 11070 times)
Kory
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2004, 07:59:09 PM »

"Dreams" by Akira Kurosawa came to mind immediately.

It's a series of 'short film' type sequences- none of the stories are realted.  The thing to take into consideration when watching it is the difference between our cultures.  Some of the dreams may not make sense, but it you go into it with an open mind I think some of them will BLOW your mind.

Some of the dreams have a very obvious tie to Kurosawa's feelings about war and government.  Those don't take much interpretation.

This is by no means a "bad movie"- it's a phenominal film (you can tell after the first dream- it has some of the most beautiful scenes EVER).

It's a crazy experience- I highly recommend it!
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2004, 09:16:40 PM »

I'll have to agree with others on these films. They are strange films:

Naked Lunch
Donnie Darko
Dreams

Blair
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2004, 09:22:21 PM »

Hey, y'all.

I've always thought The Doom Generation was totally bizarre.

dean
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2004, 10:26:05 PM »

Anything with Cronenberg directing is pretty wacky [well, his old stuff anyway]

Requim for a dream and Fear and loathing are excellent as well.  Both are quite disturbing.

I haven't seen Brazil, but the little I saw from bits of the behind the scenes made it seem very surreal as well.  Might be worth a watch.

Surreal Strange Weird and Outrageous are perhaps the best kind of film to watch!
Yaddo42
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2004, 10:59:05 PM »

Once again so many good choices already named.

"Head" - the Monkees' attempt to destroy thier old popstar image and gain the respect of older fans and their musical peers. It failed, but it's still a fun twisted bit of psychedelic smartass hijinks. Has a couple of cool songs as well. Plus it has odd cameos from people like Sonny Liston, Terry Garr, Annette Funicello, Victor Mature, and Jack Nicholson (one of the producers in real life).

Typical exchange:

Frank Zappa (while walking a cow): That song was pretty white.
Davy Jones: Yeah, so am I, what can you do?

The films of Alejandro Jodorowsky mentioned earlier (El Topo, The Holy Mountain) would defintely fit the bill, but most except "Santa Sangre" and "Fando and Lis" are hard to find through "legit" sources. He was going to direct a version of "Dune" in the 70s, that would have been interesting, it's worth looking up interviews articles about him to see his vision for the film.

"Castle Keep" - an odd WWII film from the late 60s, tamer than most the choices mentioned here but still worth a look.

"200 Motels" - Frank Zappa's very cheeky, and cheap looking, take on the trials of life on the road. If nothing else worth a look for a few clever scenes and Ringo Starr playing a Zappa clone/crony called "Larry the Dwarf".

"Chappaqua" - a very dated look at a man trying to beat drug addiction, but it has a scene where William Burroughs and Herve Villechez (Years before "Fantasy Isalnd" or "Forbidden Zone") are a gangster and his sidekick mowed down by rivals for who knows what reason.
Pus
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2004, 12:52:22 PM »

A great thread. Some of my favorites are:

Liquid Sky
Visitor Q
The Lathe of Heaven (original)
Audition
Tetsuo (nice to see this one mentioned)
Dark Water
Juon

I see alot of Asian cinema on the threads here. And that's a very good thing.

Cheese is good food. So are the movies. Not food that is, just cheese.
raj

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2004, 01:36:39 PM »

Definitely Brazil (hey, just about anything by Terry Gilliam is,  e.g. Time Bandits)
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2004, 01:41:41 PM »

raj wrote:

> Definitely Brazil (hey, just about anything by Terry Gilliam
> is,  e.g. Time Bandits)

Timebandits...hehe!
Everytime I think of that movie I remember the phrase I've always loved.

"The Most Fabulous Object In The World!"
Jay
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2004, 02:20:46 PM »

"We don't know him that well, we only work for him"
Harry
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2004, 02:26:31 PM »

has anyone seen Ichi the Killer?  It's one of the most voilent movies I've ever seen, and extremely odd.
nobody
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2004, 02:44:08 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions. My list of movies to rent/buy is now incredibly large... it'll take me a while to get through it all.

I love "Fear and Loathing" and "Requiem for a Dream", and hope I'll find other movies like them within the list I've received.

BTW, to throw more ammo to this thread I'll go ahead and suggest a movie of my own that wasn't mentioned: "Waking Life" (2001)
Pus
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2004, 02:54:16 PM »

Oh yeah, I should have included that one in my list too! "Love really does hurt !!"

Post Edited (07-21-04 20:21)

Cheese is good food. So are the movies. Not food that is, just cheese.
Yaddo42
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2004, 04:33:40 PM »

jga5000 mentioned "Aguirre: The Wrath of God". I have the Herzog/Kinski box set that includes all 5 films they made together and Herzog's documentary about their "friendship" called "My Best Fiend". I'd recommended any of their work together for a thread like this.

They're both long and drawn out, and not everyone's cup of tea, but the Russian films "Solaris" and "Stalker" are both odd and disconcerting. Both are by the same director, I'd give "Stalker" the edge on oddness just because the story is more abstract and the characters are more symbolic types reather than people per say. Plus it has that bizarre last scene, that makes me think I know where the inspiration for several Tool videos came from.
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2004, 04:57:18 PM »

Yaddo42 wrote:

> They're both long and drawn out, and not everyone's cup of tea,
> but the Russian films "Solaris" and "Stalker" are both odd and
> disconcerting. Both are by the same director

Andrei Tarkovsky.  Yes, they are good candidates for this thread...both VERY VERY slow however, so be warned.
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2004, 06:49:43 PM »

Harry wrote:

> has anyone seen Ichi the Killer?  It's one of the most voilent
> movies I've ever seen, and extremely odd.

yeah  i got this one on dvd. i liked it even though i wass labeled a sadist by my friends.

"I know I know ive been exposed permeant psychoses..
at least the colors are nice"- Aeon Flux

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Strange, Surreal, Weird, Outrageous Movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.