Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:57:27 AM
713384 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Strange, Surreal, Weird, Outrageous Movies « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Strange, Surreal, Weird, Outrageous Movies  (Read 11011 times)
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2004, 08:05:20 PM »

Cemetery Man
Carnival of Souls
The Dark Backward (not really "serious," but genuinely bizarre and sick as hell)

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2004, 10:23:08 PM »

The Fobidden Zone
Yaddo42
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2004, 07:08:36 AM »

One more favorite of mine for this thread. The dark comedy thriller "Winter Kills", I call it a paranoid conspiracy theorist's wet dream. It's a thinly veiled takeoff of the half brother of a slain beloved young president trying to find out who really killed his brother when a man materializes claiming to be the fabled "second shooter". The living brother, played by Jeff Bridges, begins chasing down leads and clues that take him further and further into the vast array of enemies and factions who wanted the president dead. All the while, he goaded on and taunted by his overbearing father, played by John Huston as a monsterous parody of Joseph Kennedy, who Huston reportedly loathed in real life. Fair warning: there is a scene of Huston rather proudly in just red bikini briefs and an open robe, that scene alone is weird enough on its own to warrent this film being included.

The film was financed with drug money and one of the producers was murdered by people he owed money to. The film was shut down when money ran out, and various other troubles occurred during the making and during the brief release when the film was recut, losing it's punch and much of its humor. A later release with much put back got critics' attention but not the public's. The Anchor Bay DVD  restoration makes it  well worth seeking out this underappreciated gem with a great cast of familiar faces (everyone from Anthony Perkins, Eli Wallach, Toshiro Mifune, Ralph Meeker, Richard Boone, Sterling Hayden (Boone and Hayden are both very memorable here) plus some surprises and even Joe Spinell and Tisa Farrow in small parts) and some great extras including a documentary dealing with those behind the scenes troubles.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2004, 08:54:39 AM »

Although I can't recommend it, "Liquid Sky" probably fits the criteria

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Kory
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2004, 07:35:38 PM »

I just remembered another one...

"Leaving Las Vegas" with Nicolas Cage and Elizabeth Shue

This is one of the most disturbing films I've ever seen.
Acidburn
Bad Movie Lover

When I was your age, television was called Books!

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2004, 07:54:17 AM »

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one.   On a different note does anyone here remember the name of the movie where Nick Cage was a ambulance driver and he kept seeing a dead little girl?  I could do the research and look it up, but I am sure one of you well versed people would be able to tell me right off the top of your head.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The flowers are still standing...
JohnL

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2004, 09:37:41 AM »

>On a different note does anyone here remember the name of the movie where
>Nick Cage was a ambulance driver and he kept seeing a dead little girl?

I had to look it up, but, Bringing out the Dead?
nobody
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2004, 02:04:44 PM »

That's definitely the name of the flick. "Bringing out the Dead." It's a great movie.
Acidburn
Bad Movie Lover

When I was your age, television was called Books!

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2004, 03:08:54 PM »

Yep, that was it.  Thanks a bunch John!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The flowers are still standing...
penguin_7
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2004, 05:15:40 PM »

Voyage to the Planet of Prehistoric Women? That's out there.
peter johnson
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2004, 11:07:03 AM »

The 1972 film version of "Slaughterhous Five" -- even better than the book.  Really.  "Billy Pilgirm has come unstuck in Time . . .".  Totally balls-to-the-wall Odd.   Notable too for the fact that it's the only period film to get ALL the WW2 German uniforms EXACTLY right:  eg:  The Waffen SS, the Political SS, the Wehrmacht fieldwebels, the Stalag Luft guards, the anti-aircraft people, etc.  90% of war movies just grab any old grey thing, sew an Nazi eagle on the front, and voila:  German Soldiers!!  Uh, no . . . it's really more complicated than that . . .
"The Ruling Class", also 1972.  Peter O'Toole is Jesus Christ and Jack the Ripper.  With musical numbers and gorilla suits.  Beyond brilliant!
Ralph Bakshi's "Heavy Traffic"(1973), was also mentioned here.  A dream sequence of a film that owes a lot to:
Jean Cocteau's "Blood of a Poet"(1934).  I would nominate all of Cocteau's work as odd-beyond-odd.  If you haven't seen his stuff, please get it today.  He loved smoking opium & drinking Absinthe, and it shows in his films.  Seeing them could change your life.  Jodoworsky(El Topo, etc.) has said in interviews that he owes a lot to Cocteau.  Check out his "Beauty and The Beast" and "Orpheus" as uparallelled European weirdness.
On Asian weirdness, I've always been fond of a Chinese classic fairy-tale adaptation:  "The Bride with White Hair".  Has an eerie full-color-in-the-dark quality to it, very dreamlike.
peter johnson/denny crane
Kanedoras
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2004, 11:30:16 AM »

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Greaser's Palace yet.

Ichi the Killer and Audition are good suggestions--basically anything by director Takashi Miike is going to be out there.

Perhaps the craziest movie I've ever seen was the Jackie Chan vehicle Fantasy Mission Force, in which a team of commandos must rescue Abraham Lincoln from Chinese Nazis in World War II.  It's amazing.  I hear that Young Daoism Fighter (Wu-Tang Temple?) is similarly kinetically wacky, but can't confirm.  Apparently it has a villain that gains power from eating human placentas.

Since I'm rolling with the Asian films, Seventh Curse is a bizarre little horror-comedy-action-fantasy film that's real fun and weird.  I don't know if they count, but the Mr. Vampire films are a bunch of fun and just downright bizarre, especially to people who don't know anything about Chinese ghosts.  The first one is one of the better movies ever made, in my humble opinion.  Dr. Vampire is a spoof of the Mr. Vampire movies and a really funny one at that.  Odd too.

Begotten.  I thought it was crap, but it's one of those movies where you either think it's genius or just a bad idea.  I also can't recommend it, but Body Melt may fulfill your criteria.

Anything from Bollywood, probably, from my understanding of Indian cinema's reputation.
Dave Munger
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2004, 06:44:00 PM »

AAUGH, was Audition the one where the guy eats the chick's puke?
loyal1
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2004, 01:22:07 PM »

If you want strange and off the wall, but maybe not so surreal as it is disturbing..Pink Flamingo by John Waters is right up there.  But be warned, this ain't no Hairspray!
Nic456
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2004, 05:45:00 PM »

House of 1001 Corpses (Even though I thought it was a rip-off of Texas Chainsaw Massacre)

Story of Ricky (Ultra Violent)

Sleepaway Camp (Strange ending)

El Topo (Emmmm)

Anthropophagus (The fetus scene)

95% of Anime movies and tv shows

Flash Gordon (1980)  

The Cell (but I hated)

Angel Heart (big yawner)

Dr. Phibes & sequel

Time Bandits

Edward Scissorhands

Batman & Batman Returns

Beetlejuice

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Vampire Journals
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Strange, Surreal, Weird, Outrageous Movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.