Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:58:41 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Modest Mouse fans « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: OT: Modest Mouse fans  (Read 4346 times)
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« on: July 22, 2004, 06:07:32 AM »

Hello to all the fans out there of the crazy indie rock band Modest Mouse, did any of you catch their appearance last night on Conan O' brien? I wanted to watch it but it was way too late for me to stay up (I got to be up by 6:30 am usually). Hopefully MM will have it on their website though.

"we have one chance, one chance to get everything right." -Modest Mouse
Bheliom
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 07:01:07 AM »

I do not know that Band...

Is there a possibility to listen to one of their songs?

Short of downloading them from emule or alike that is! ;)

"From the moon, come silver ghosts, spectres of the blood.
From my spirit comes the darkness.
From the void, the crimson fortress rises."
Yaddo42
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 07:17:56 AM »

If you have cable, Comedy Central replays the previous night's Conan show at 6 PM Eastern time the following day, and again at around 11AM or noon the day after that. You should be able to catch or tape the replay.

I bought their CD, but only slightly liked it compared to the single "Float On" which I like a lot. But I'm very cranky in my musical tastes these days.
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 09:37:26 AM »

thanks for the info! yeah their new CD is very different. if you want something a little less esoteric than their new one i'd recommend Moon & Antarctica, very dark album. they wrote it for a friend of theres that lost his mind and disappeared from society apparently. their older stuff is good too, but a little more rougher around the edges, it's like folk-midwest-punk gone too hell. my god i sound like a music critic!!
ED
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 04:42:26 PM »

I have liked them for a few years (since 1998 or so) and I like the new stuff best.  I'm getting too old to like distortion, I think. However, I can't stand Conan, so I missed that appearance.
-Ed
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 05:02:32 PM »

I watched Conan the other night but didn't watch the end when they played.
I've never heard their music but UGH!, what a terrible name for a band!

It sounds like Mighty Mouse's nerdy cousin.

ED
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2004, 05:17:01 PM »

I always thought it was cute.  Sort of a low key cartoon character.
-Ed
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2004, 06:02:22 AM »

yeah their very early stuff, like the Lonesome Crowded West material, has a very punk edge to it. but i still like it all. the new album is much more uplifting than their last 2 (IMO). i read an interview with Isaac Brock (the singer) and to paraphrase what he said, pretty much the band went through so much bad things last year (losing their drummer, Isaac getting thrown in jail for 2 weeks, drug addiction) they just wanted to make an album that was more uplifting.
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2004, 08:53:25 AM »

>Hello to all the fans out there of the crazy indie rock band Modest Mouse, did
>any of you catch their appearance last night on Conan O' brien? I wanted to
>watch it but it was way too late for me to stay up (I got to be up by 6:30 am
>usually). Hopefully MM will have it on their website though.

Never heard of them and didn't watch Conan, but I do have something to contribute;

In my area, Leno and Conan usually repeat a week later on NBC, starting at 2:05am. I don't know if that's nationwide, or just on the East coast/New England area.
Acidburn
Bad Movie Lover

When I was your age, television was called Books!

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2004, 10:41:26 AM »

I have heard a few of their songs and I must say  that I do not care for them much.  Just not my type of music.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The flowers are still standing...
Yaddo42
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2004, 06:25:41 AM »

JohnL, NBC does that where I live too. I guess it's what they offer their affiliates now instead of overnight news (NBC's overnight news was pretty awful anyway) like the other networks do. No idea if it's networkwide, or if affiliates that have other programming that performs better or infomercials have the option not to carry it.

They used to mix the shows up more, lots of struggling sitcoms (I think they used to burn off episodes of shows they produced but cancelled before showing all of them) or reruns of soap operas and a few dramas.Guess they decided reruns of talk shows they own was more profitable.
Harry
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2004, 05:36:38 PM »

Modest Mouse has always seemed like an overly pretentious band to me.  They are certainly better than the majority of pop bands today, but they aren't good enough to be so high on themselves.  Then again, maybe it's not the band that is so pretentious so much as the people I know and met who listen to them.
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2004, 07:56:15 PM »

yeah i'd say it's definitely more of the people.
Harry
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2004, 08:35:19 PM »

I'm tired of bands that are taken too seriously.  I can think of very few bands that should be taken seriously, for the most part music should be fun and not so damn artistically or otherwise relative.  Bands like System of a Down, Tool, etc. that, spoken or not, seem to claim that they are "all about music" aren't really much of musicians at all.  The truly artistic and musically inclined bands are jazz bands and alot of "jam bands" (phish, widespread panic, etc.)  There are even some rock and metal bands, or musicians rather, that have alot of talent, i.e. Dimebag Darrell, Zakk Wylde, and Steve Vai.  I'm just tired of mediocre talented bands that are idolized.
Whilst tirading thereabouts I'd also like to address my concern for record companies.  Back in the day record producers and band managers really wanted to make records.  They wanted good music on that piece of vinyl, and it was somthing they were interested in.  Somewhere in the past couple of decades some buisnessmen found out that there was money in the production of records, so these buisnessmen who didn't give two tugs of a dead dog's cock about music, started selling records because they wanted in on the money.  Now those who are in charge of what "music" is put into our stores, and what "bands" get signed are only interested in one thing...lots of money, and fast.  I hope we can overcome this soon.
Sorry for getting somewhat off subject, but it was on the brain.
Acidburn
Bad Movie Lover

When I was your age, television was called Books!

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2004, 10:49:55 AM »

Harry.....I know you did not jsut say that TOOL is a talentless band???!!!!
Get the CD Anema and listen to it.  Manerd(sp) is one the most most talented lyrics writer in the world.  And the Music is wonderful also.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The flowers are still standing...
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Modest Mouse fans « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.