Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:06:56 AM
713384 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Modest Mouse fans « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: OT: Modest Mouse fans  (Read 4344 times)
ED
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2004, 01:57:24 PM »

Indie Music fans are always more "authentic" than those of us who listen to the radio and TV.  
I suspect that there are endless BB postings and blogs that say Modest Mouse has sold out with this album.  Now we see them on MTV and VH1 and all.
I always liked them, but this album is definitely the most adult and coherent of them all, in my books.   I'm happy to see them get success.  
-Ed
Kory
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2004, 02:14:08 PM »

First of all: Don't knock TOOL      They are way more talented than, pretty much, any rock band that's come out after the 80's.   Maynard is a fantastic vocalist and the drummer is phenominal.  The guitar parts are amazing.  The music is complex and intelligent.

Just don't put them in the same category as "System of a Down" or any other stupid 15 minutes of fame band.

Now that that's out of the way-

If you like jazz & jam bands, listen to "Robert Walter's 20th Congress".  They're a great acid jazz jam band & they play a lot of small clubs all around the country.  It's a great time!   Robert Walter is a piano\B3 organ player that used to be in the band with Karl Denson.
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2004, 02:15:52 PM »

Acidburn wrote:

> Harry.....I know you did not jsut say that TOOL is a talentless
> band???!!!!
> Get the CD Anema and listen to it.  Manerd(sp) is one the most
> most talented lyrics writer in the world.  And the Music is
> wonderful also.

Even better...see them in concert!
I saw them in 2001 and I must say it was one of the best shows I've ever witnessed.
Those guys gave it everything they had that night and damn near brought the roof down.

Post Edited (07-26-04 14:17)
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2004, 02:31:34 PM »

i consider myself an indie music fan but i'm happy as hell when a band makes it. i don't want to see my favorite bands still living with their parents and working at taco-bell when they're in their late 20's. if they make then i'm very happy they achieved their dreams.

but i like bands that are mainstream & non-mainstream . i love the Cure and they've been on mtv for years (not so much in the limelight). but i also love bands like Mineral and Thrice that have a small loyal following. so rest assured not all of us indie music fans are snobs :)
ED
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2004, 03:24:53 PM »

No arguement there.  I''m an indie fan too, y'know.  
But once I was in a store and there was what I thought was an unknown Medest Mouse track on the PA.   I asked if it was, and just got a withering look from the girl on the counter.  When I said they sounded similar I got "Well, maybe to SOME they do."  
Just call me Mr. Tin Ear, I guess.
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2004, 03:54:52 PM »

yeah people like that are annoying. i think High Fidelity did a great job of making fun of those "indier-than-thou" snobs.
Acidburn
Bad Movie Lover

When I was your age, television was called Books!

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2004, 11:09:35 AM »

I was BLESSED enough to watch them last year when they came through Alabama.  It was an outside show and it was storming.  Their music mixed with the look and feel of the stormy night sky was almost  like being in a drug induced stuper.....ummm.....oh yeah I was....;P   But yes, the best performance I will ever see, the only thing that even comes close was a greenday concert that I went to.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The flowers are still standing...
Harry
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2004, 01:37:04 PM »

I didn't say Tool is talentLESS, but they aren't nearly the caliber of musicians that they are projected as.  They are far more pretentious than what can be backed up.  Not to offend some of you, but I can't stand most Tool fans.  When you talk to alot of them, they have the attitude that Tool is impeccable, and if you don't agree then you must be musically retarded.  Well I know a lot about music, (not to sound uppity, but probably more than you or anyone you know) so in my nearly expert opinion...Tool isn't that good.
Tool's drummer is VERY good, and that I cannot argue.  Their guitarist isn't anything to write home about, the bassist is pretty creative, but not much of a musician, and Manyrd is a good vocalist who writes pretentious lyrics.  I don't really like their sound, so I'm somewhat biased, but I can say that if they weren't so wrongfully worshiped then I'd probably give them a better criticism.
StatCat
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2004, 02:20:57 PM »

I think I prefer Mouse and the Traps

That would be my favorite mouse band

-----------------------------------------------------
Wear a suit and tie when I'd rather sit and die
Acidburn
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2004, 03:31:31 PM »

I would have to agree that they are not the BEST musical band out there, but I do like their sound.  It is completely different that any other band I have heard.  Im my oppinion one of the best  bands I can think of would have to be Jars of Clay...I love the acustic stuff that they do.  And their vocals are unbeatable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2004, 03:59:47 PM »

I liked Jars Of Clay on their first CD.  It had a pretty unique vibe and the accoustic sound with classical instruments was pretty creative.

Since then they've gotten to sound like every other Nashville-produced CCM band (which sounds like a lot of Nashville-produced non-CCM stuff)

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Acidburn
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2004, 04:29:51 PM »

Their second Cd was alright, but I do not like the third and fourth ones.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Modest Mouse fans « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.