Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:44:07 AM
714357 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  BEST off-screen death? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BEST off-screen death?  (Read 1999 times)
Cheecky-Monkey
« on: April 29, 2005, 05:35:06 AM »

I know many of you hate off-screen deaths--when filmmakers cheap out on us because They're trying to shoot for a PG-13 rating or simply don't have the money for lots of make-up effects.

However, I've seen some death scenes in films that invovlve absolutely no gore at all, yet are very, very effective, and wouldn't have worked as well if we had seen what happened.
One such scene comes to mind is Andrew Divoff's death in "Graveyard shift".
Any others?
raj
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 10:07:01 AM »

Old Yeller.
Master Blaster
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 11:03:04 AM »

The sawing of the annoying guy in the wheelchair in Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It was done so well audiences at the time didnt realize all the gore was really off screen.
Menard
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 11:19:56 AM »

I remember one of the PRIME SUSPECT movies/mini-series where they ended a scene with a guy pointing a gun at this teenage kid and the kid pleading. In the following scenes they did a walk-thru of the forensics, describing the last moments of the murder. This was very effective as it invited the viewer to use their imagination and was probably better than what they could have shown on-screen.

PSlugworth
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 11:36:08 AM »

Steve Buscemi's death in Fargo.

And most of the murders in Se7en...

Official Member of the Don Knotts Fan Club.
andrew sylvester dot com
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 12:48:26 PM »

Bela Lugosi in Plan 9. Hands down. :)

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Mr Hockstatter
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 12:59:30 PM »

There was a fun one in Sorority House Massacre II:  Nighty Nightmare.  As the killer is hacking up a girl, you see the spray of blood on the wall, complete with the shadow of the guy's hand holding the squirt bottle.

BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 01:15:45 PM »

The chainsaw scene in Scarface.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can’t give it, you can't buy it, and you just don't get it!-Aeon Flux

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Eirik
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 03:16:29 PM »

Ralph Feinnes blowing the kid's brains out with his rifle in Schindler's list.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 10:35:52 PM »

The first thing that came to mind was Marlon Brando throwing that guy's head at Martin Sheen in APOCALYPSE NOW.

As far as Old Yeller goes, I remember a Kids in the Hall sketch that was absolutely hilarious.  Old Yeller has to be put down, and the kid shows up with his rifle.  "I'll do it, it's my dog."  So the kid pulls the trigger and a HUGE gout of blood shoots up and hits him in the face.  It doesn't sound funny, but you have to see it.  And if you do, keep watching the episode, because it gets even funnier.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2005, 11:23:36 PM »

HA!
 i gotta see that old yeller sketch!

save the world, kill a politician or two.
Writer
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2005, 02:22:37 AM »

The two off-screen deaths that always come to mind for me are from the original black-and-white "Bad Seed" film and a crime drama re-enactment from a TV show, the name of which I have forgotten. The Bad Seed included a bunch of off-screen deaths, but the one actually portrayed (instead of merely alluded to) was the death of the janitor, whom the murderous little girl set on fire. (We hear his screams and see the mother watching in horror, but there are no shots of his charred, smoking corpse or anything.) This was, of course, a 1950s film; among other things, people then realized that things can be far more horrible when you imply them instead of showing them.

The more contemporary example, employing this same lesson: that crime drama re-enactment. Though I've forgotten the name of the show and all of the rest of the details, I remember the story: a little girl disappeared, and the cops eventually followed the trail of evidence to a certain man's home. In the re-enactment, when they opened the man's refrigerator (one of the old kind with a latch, the kind that got discontinued precisely because kids would sometimes get trapped in them), out tumbled the little girl's naked corpse. Of course, this being properly done, we the viewers were not shown anything we were not supposed to see. Still, I can remember what a horrifying moment that was.

To make things worse, there was never any mention of how she was murdered, only that she was murdered. (They caught the guy who did it, of course.) The narrative didn't mention any mutilation, and the body shown in the re-enactment had no visible marks on it. Maybe the special effects department was just too cheap to bother with things like strangulation marks or stab wounds or whatever, but I keep thinking, when he was done with abusing her in various ways, maybe he just shoved her in there, and closed the door and left her to die very slowly in the semi-frigid air...

So there you have it, the dual purpose of an off-screen death: keeping TV censors happy, and leaving it all up to the imagination, where it can be far worse than any amount of on-screen gore.
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2005, 12:53:45 PM »

Yeah, I remember that one.

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

The villains' street name was "The Street." And the kid had to be killed, because he killed the villains' right hand man. But, instead of "The Street" doing the shooting, he made the boyfriend of the boy's older sister doing the shooting. And, I believe, the gun was a .357 Magnum. And as the kid was only about 14, you can imagine all the damage that was done.

I can remember the walk through afterwards as well. As the man, who did the walk through, could tell what the kid was doing, while he was being shot, from the blood splatters that were left. How the kid probably had his hands up and was running  from place to place trying to escape, but he couldn't escape, because he was down inside an abandoned swimming pool, when he was shot.

But, the most gross thing I remember, is though they hosed down the pool, after the kid was shot, or because they hosed down the pool, the forensic team was finding shards of bone, teeth, bits of flesh, in the pool's filter.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  BEST off-screen death? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.