Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:26:00 AM
713407 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  New Willy Wonka « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Author Topic: New Willy Wonka  (Read 15467 times)
Brit
« on: July 23, 2004, 04:42:16 PM »

Has anyone heard about the new willy wonka movie where Johnny Depp is playing ol' Willy. nothing aginst JD but I don't think he can pull it off in that movie.
Brit
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 04:43:46 PM »

Also, does anyone know who the director is?
Harry
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 05:45:38 PM »

I think Tim Burton is doing it.  I think Depp is perfect for it.  I remember there were rumors a year or so ago about Marlyn Manson playing Willie, I much prefer depp.
dean
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004, 10:41:07 PM »

Yeah, Burton is directing.  Recent news had a very expensive camera fall into a vat of chocolate.  Kinda funny really.

I hope it will be very wacky and surreal and maybe even a bit dark.  That would be quite good...
Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2004, 11:14:26 PM »

Depp can pull it off :).

save the world, kill a politician or two.
Harry
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2004, 11:29:13 AM »

I think it's safe to say that if Burton has anything to do with it, it will be a bit dark :)
loyal1
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2004, 02:17:18 PM »

If Burton is directing...I think JD will be perfect for the role and Burton's style...I look forward to it.  I wonder what the umpa loompas will look like!  :0)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2004, 02:58:54 PM »

It makes you wonder how many hippies will take a hit of acid before going into the theater to watch this.
I can imagine that it would be pretty trippy with Depp starring and Burton directing.

I will definitely be going to see this.

"The candyman can 'cause he mixes it with love and makes the world taste good."

C'mon...sing along now...
Harry
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2004, 05:29:41 PM »

I heard that they are going to use one little person and duplicate him over and over so that all of the oompa loompas look the same.  Way back when Manson was cast for wonka, rumors said that the oompas would be demonish, but I think that's no longer true.
Ryan
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2004, 11:58:41 PM »

Something that would be even better than Burton directing a remake:

Todd McFarlane making twisted action figures of Willy Wonka and stuff. Look what he did with the Wizard of Oz: Twisted Land of Oz. Dorothy's getting branded by a munchkin while blindfolded and tied up nude.

=D
onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2004, 02:50:54 AM »

Hey, am I the only one who remembers the original film with reverence?!?!?!  What could top the image of Jack Albertson's Grandpa Joe popping out of bed after some 20 years to the tune of Golden Ticket ("I never thought my life would be/Anything but catastrophe/But suddenly I begin to see/A bit of good luck for me")?  Or can Depp pull off the first view we had of Gene Wilder limping slowly out of the factory, leaning on his cane painfully, said cane getting stuck in a chink in the walkway, Wilder stopping, squeezing the canehead which is no longer there, and then pitching forward seemingly onto his face but then into a graceful forward roll up onto his feet in front of the gates, off comes the hat in a showman's flourish.
I just hope it doesn't turn into the poopstew that The Grinch became.  I saw 20 minutes of Ron Howard's live action remake and had to yank it out of the VCR machine, then gargle with Windex to get rid of the taste.
I  wish Tim Burton good luck.

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2004, 03:34:23 AM »

One thing that always bothered me about the original was the fact that the candy shop owner sang a song and tossed out tons of free candy to all the kids while Charlie watched through the store window. (if Charlie was so hungry, why didn't he get his ass in there for a free handout?)
But when Charlie finds that dollar in the sewer and goes into the candy shop, the shopkeeper charges him for the candy!

He even says, "AHEM!" and holds out his hand for the money.
What a prick!

And what about the grandparents lying in bed for over 20 years!?
My God that would stink!
Laying in their own p**s & s**t for God knows how long before Charlie or his mother cleaned it up.
Sick.

Also, go HERE to read a truly hilarious reason as to why Grandpa Joe is a vile and evil man.

Post Edited (07-25-04 04:37)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2004, 06:48:33 AM »

I think Depp will be brilliant as Willy Wonka.  However, I suspect that Tim Burton may make the movie too "dark" and take all the fun out of it.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Flangepart

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2004, 12:49:37 PM »

What. the Ommpa Loompas need horns and a pointed tail to look deamonish? The eyes alone do it for me....
Grampa Joe : Master of E-vil!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Kory
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2004, 02:19:11 PM »

There were a LOT of dark undertones in the first one too.  The boat scene is a perfect example.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  New Willy Wonka « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.