Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:10:59 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  New Willy Wonka « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: New Willy Wonka  (Read 15458 times)
loyal1
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2004, 02:50:37 PM »

Burton's Big Fish and Edward Scissorhands wasn't so dark I thought...lots of imagination in a haunted childlike way..bright in some areas.  I think the film perfect for his style.  Willy Wonka was not all bright in fun in the original either.
Susan
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2004, 05:47:20 PM »

1. Stop the remakes!
2. Who could possibly top the original Veruca Salt?
3. Depp is a god cast for this movie, but I liked the original enough that I don't think i'd pay to see a remake.

Not a speck of light is showing
So the danger must be growing
Are the fires of Hell a-glowing
Is the grisly reaper mowing

Yes, the danger must be growing
For the rowers keep on rowing
And they're certainly not showing
Any signs that they are slowing!!!!

The question is with Burton at the helm will this be a movie for kids, for adults, will it be a musical?  Burton will try too hard to make it dark. The great thing about the original is on the surface it looked innocent, candy and children and songs and music. But there was a very dark undertone that made it feel far more creepier

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2004, 07:10:50 PM »

When I heard Depp would play Wonka, I immediately felt good about this movie. Of the current crop of actors, he's the one who can pull it off. He has a knack for playing eccentrics.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
nobody
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2004, 02:25:15 PM »

If anyone can pull off a remake of such a great, classic movie, it's Tim Burton. And if anyone can hope to hold a candle to Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka it's Johnny Depp, who I think is the greatest actor of our time. The guy can play anything!

However, I won't be walking into the theaters expecting pure gold. There's a chance this movie could go horribly, horribly wrong. Tim's movies haven't been all that great lately (except for "Big Fish"). He could end up turning "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" into another "Planet of the Apes."
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2004, 04:45:33 PM »

Agreed that Planet of the Apes went awry, but it wasn't really a good fit for Burton. A big-budget sci-fi action remake just doesn't seem Burtonesque to me.

Now, a surreal movie set in a candy factory, full of magic and wonder, yet subtly menacing - that has Burton written all over it. I mean, there is some concern here that he'll make it too dark, but I don't think so. I think Burton understands what made the original great. If anybody appreciates the fun of wrapping the dark and sinister in a magical candy coating, he does.

Likewise, a stylish character who is loopy and lovable, with a hint of cruelty, is a role perfectly suited to Depp.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2004, 04:48:42 PM »

I can see Depp, but Wilder had that perfect look. The eyes of a possably...possably...very calmly mad man.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Susan
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2004, 06:48:10 PM »

depp in the role, he's very commercially appealing right now after Pirates movie. You know the studio is going to try and meddle as much as possible in the production.

I keep imagining they're going to dress Depp up like Vlad in dracula

o/~ who can take a rainbow, sprinkle it with dew....
suck your blood kiddo's cause he's nosferatu!

Post Edited (07-26-04 18:50)
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2004, 06:56:09 PM »

Yes...that was how I pretty much imagined Depp looking in the new film.

I envisioned him with the traditional purple suit like in the original but I have a feeling Burton will change that.

What color do you think Wonka's suit will be?
Susan
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2004, 07:21:55 PM »

maybe he'll wear a dress. What could be creepier than a grown man wanting a select few children to come to his house and take candy from him while wearing his mothers dress. Norman bates meets michael jackson.

Seirously who knows. Maybe an irredescent suit, shiny colors that change in different lights. The sort of look like the villian in Unbreakable. The problem is - who is thim targeted at? the original was clearly for kids, even tho years later some of us are still in therapy while others drop acid while viewing it. The target audience means everything in the type of film he decides to make it.

StatCat
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2004, 02:26:48 PM »

Grampa Joe is the worst- that guy is evil! What a lazy bastard

-----------------------------------------------------
Wear a suit and tie when I'd rather sit and die
raj

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2004, 02:49:35 PM »

Susan wrote:

>  The great thing about the original is
> on the surface it looked innocent, candy and children and songs
> and music. But there was a very dark undertone that made it
> feel far more creepier

Well put.
It's a fun kids' movie, but when you see it again it's creepy from the grandparents to Willie.

Will Gene Wilder have any role in this?
nobody
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2004, 02:52:53 PM »

There's no mention of Gene playing any part in this remake on IMDB.
raj

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2004, 06:28:31 PM »

Rats!
raj

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2004, 06:29:32 PM »

Although. . . he did get up, it's the three others who were real lazy SoBs
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2004, 05:45:46 PM »

Johnny Depp is a great pick for that role, but you can't remake something that still works like the original. In fact it would be a waste of time to remake it. It just dosn't make sense. That's my two cents.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  New Willy Wonka « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.