Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:56:33 PM
714253 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  New Willy Wonka « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: New Willy Wonka  (Read 15665 times)
Prophet Tenebrae
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2004, 05:51:41 PM »

I take it they'll be playing down the mincing paedophile angle of Wonka?
nobody
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2004, 05:59:37 PM »

Wonka never had a "mincing paedophile angle." If anything he showed nothing but distain for the children, disappointed in how disgusting and uncivilized they all were.
Bee beeep
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2004, 09:33:08 AM »

Hi!! Does anyone know if the film will still remain as a musical or is it purely based on Roal Dahl's book itself?
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2004, 12:26:19 PM »

That's actually a really good question; it'd be really interesting if Burton ignored the original movie and simply tried a new adaptation of the book. I seem to remember a lot of stuff in the book that wasn't in the movie, though I may be confusing it with bits of the sequel.

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Harry
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2004, 11:45:53 PM »

how many books were there?
Steven
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2004, 05:21:48 PM »

There were originally  2 books by Dahl, IIRC.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

and

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator.
Steven
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2004, 05:31:04 PM »

Full cast (Working, may change)

Directed by
Tim Burton    

Writing credits (in alphabetical order)  
John August   screenplay
Roald Dahl   novel

Cast (in credits order)  
Freddie Highmore ....  Charlie Bucket
Johnny Depp ....  Willy Wonka
rest of cast listed alphabetically
Helena Bonham Carter ....  Mrs. Bucket
Ty Dickson ....  Oompa Loompa
James Fox  
Jordan Fry ....  Mike Teavee
David Kelly ....  Grandpa Joe
Christopher Lee  
Missi Pyle ....  Ms. Beauregard
Annasophia Robb ....  Violet Beauregarde
Lance Smith ....  Oompa Loompa
Noah Taylor  
Philip Wiegratz ....  Augustus Gloop
Julia Winter ....  Veruca Salt
Psycho BoB
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2004, 07:07:08 PM »

omg you gotta be kidding me JD is gonna be the best wonka ever! did you see his personality in POTC?????? OMG remember wonka as a kinda silly kinda drunk looking guy kinda cruel but lovable and a mystery...he didnt care about the kids being sucked into the tubes but he cared about how he had to clean them! dude if they remake this burton style it will be dark dementid and funny and i think JD is gonna bring the true feeling out of Wonka Himself.
xBANRAPx18
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2004, 09:17:32 PM »

I'm not so sure about Johnny Depp being a great Willy Wonka, as no one could ever top Gene Wilder's "calm mad-man" effect, but I bet it'll still be good. There'll be lots of new things and the movie was pretty dark to begin with...

"Yes, the danger must be growing
For the rowers keep on rowing
And they're certainly not showing
Any signs that they are slowing?

...yeah that's pretty dark. And also

"The suspense is terrible. I hope it lasts."

It'll be different, that's for sure...
Eirik
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2004, 09:49:40 PM »

"It's a fun kids' movie, but when you see it again it's creepy from the grandparents to Willie."

The original version showed a chicken getting its head cut off!  You think the ASPCA is going to let Burton get away with something like that?  Flightless birds consider the Wilder version a snuff film.
BobSagatsBleedingDemocracy
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2004, 08:07:21 AM »

There is no possible way the remake can top the original. Period.

Gene Wilder is a god. Depp is good, but he just can't compete. I mean, look at Young Frankenstein and Haunted Honeymoon for example - Gene Wilder Gold. The summersault performed at the entrance to the factory was Gene's idea!  Maybe if Depp was 15 years older...and related to Gene....
Plus, they won't have Roy Kinnear! Mr. Salt! He's dead!

I think I read somewhere, correct me if I am wrong, that Burton had never seen the original movie. He read Dahl's book, then saw the movie, and he was actually surprised by how dark it was in comparison to the book.
Mel Stuart even didn't let most of the cast see the Waterfall Room until they actually shot it - brilliant.

Let's just hope that they don't kill the original.

muffin
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2004, 08:45:44 PM »

Who do you think you are?!  I don't know where you were raised, but Johnny Depp can pull off any role he decides to take on.  I can not wait to see this movie.  The book and previous movie starring Gene Wilder was awesome, and JD will only add flavor to this wonderful story.

muffin
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2004, 08:46:24 PM »

Who do you think you are?!  I don't know where you were raised, but Johnny Depp can pull off any role he decides to take on.  I can not wait to see this movie.  The book and previous movie starring Gene Wilder was awesome, and JD will only add flavor to this wonderful story.

Acidburn
Bad Movie Lover

When I was your age, television was called Books!

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2004, 01:10:52 PM »

I would have to agree with you muffin.  Depp is one of the best character actors out  there right now.  I believe this movies has the making to be wonderful and dark.  I cannot wait to see it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The flowers are still standing...
ssouce
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2004, 01:53:07 PM »

Does anyone realize that this was a book before it was a crappy movie in the 1970s?  The movie is based on the wonderful book-NOT a remake of the horrible movie which chagned the whole story around to make Wonka come off as a lying bastard.  Read the book: the story is so much more creative and never needed to be changed!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  New Willy Wonka « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.