Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:07:43 AM
713398 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "The Missing" (2003). « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "The Missing" (2003).  (Read 1401 times)
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 28, 2004, 09:09:40 AM »

For some reason there are movies and genres I feel confortable with. I love low budget thrillers and modern westerns. While I like many other things, I will always choose one of these two whenever I can. That's the reason why last night I rented this western by Ron Howard.

The funny thing is that I hate Howard's movies. For some reason they always look uninspired and restrained to me, even when the subject could create some controversy. Here's a person, I would say, that feels confortable with mediocrity.

And then, I would have to swallow my comments. "The missing" is a sober, adult and often violent film that sits just in the edge between the classic westerns and the revisionist ones. The plot seems inspired by John Ford's "The Searchers", but the main characters are not hardened cowboys, but a strong frontier woman (Cate Blanchett) who forms an uneven couple with his father (Tommy Lee Jones), who helps her to track her daughter's captors.

And Ron Howard is surprisingly up to what the task the film requires of him. He manages the intimistic scenes with the sensibility they require, doesn't overlook the violence without unnecesaryly underlining it, and works so well the abundant cliches that at any moment every possible ending seems possible. Even detractors of revisionist westerns will like this one. When Howard focuses on the unusual characters and their personal circumstances (TLJ character is white but abandoned civilisation to live with the indians) he manages to add layers to the story without becoming too preachy.

I wasn't going to watch "The Alamo" precisely because Howard had made it, but now I think I will give it a chance. If I have to judge from all his films that I have seen (I haven't seen them all and I don't plan to), this is without doubt his best film ever.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 12:08:49 PM »

Ron Howard did not direct  the Alamo, he backed out before they even started filming. I think he was a producer on it .

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Neville

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 09:37:30 AM »

You're damn right, trek_geezer, I just checked the IMDB and the only accredited director is John Lee Hancock. I might give it a chance anyway.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2004, 04:49:55 PM »

I liked THE MISSING even though OPEN RANGE was a bit better. Tommy Lee Jones was the only part that I didn't appreciate. Not the character, but the actor Jones was a bit distracting for me. Over all a good Western.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "The Missing" (2003). « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.