Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:33:37 AM
713349 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  80s Movie Night Themes « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 80s Movie Night Themes  (Read 4755 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« on: August 03, 2004, 09:42:37 AM »

My wife and I have been revisiting 80s movies lately. At first, it was dance movies she hadn't seen in years, and I hadn't seen at all. Last weekend, I reciprocated by introducing her to a couple of the shocking WWIII scenarios of the early 80s, a double feature of Red Dawn and The Day After. I would have added War Games, to end on a lighter note, but it was getting late. Probably better to have separated the dead serious (albeit far-fetched) from the light and entertaining anyway. Maybe War Games can be part of a night dedicated to the first hacker movies.

Now I'm looking for titles with some other distinct themes. They should be fairly specific (ie ninjas or Indiana Jones clones, rather than simply action) and have a uniquely 80s feel. They could even be from very different genres, but deal with the same theme.

I can think of a few, but I'm hoping you guys will come up with some titles and groupings I wouldn't have considered. Surprise me.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 12:18:23 PM »

If you want post apocalytpic movies, "Hell Comes to Frog Town" comes immediately to mind.  It's a fun movie.

"Hardware" with Dylan McDermott is an interesting look at a post apocalypse world, though it was made in 1990.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Daniel Johnson
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 02:30:09 PM »

Three recomendations that spring to mind are killer puppets, which were pretty big in the eighties such as Child's Play and the First Puppet Master, Conan Knock-Offs such as the Death Stalker series and possibly Red Sonja, and early teen sex comedies such as Porky's and the First Turn On.
George
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 02:57:44 PM »

These will get you through the next few weekends

1. Teen Sex Comedies With a Heart
          a.  The Last American Virgin
          b.  Valley Girl

2.  Teen Sex Comedies With NO Heart
          a.  HOTS
          b. Hardbodies
          c.  Beach Girls

3.  John Hughes Night
          a.  Pretty In Pink
          b.  The Breakfast Club

4.  John Cusack Night
           a.  One Crazy Summer
           b.  Better Off Dead

5.  Patrick Dempsey Night
           a.  Can't Buy Me Love
           b.  Loverboy

6.  "Hey, it's the guy from Animal House" Movies
           a.  Up The Creek
           b.  Drop Dead Fred
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 03:35:23 PM »

George,

Actually, Drop Dead Fred came out in 91, but I count it

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 07:39:41 PM »

How about all the RAMBO rip-offs like:

* STEELE JUSTICE (starring Martin Kove)

* DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR (starring Fred Dryer)

* P.O.W.: THE ESCAPE (starring David Carradine)

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
dean
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2004, 07:45:34 PM »

I am currently studying a musicals course at uni, and a few horrid musicals come to mind:

Breakdance and Breakdance II: Electric Bugaloo, Beat Street and Moonwalker.

Great if you want some really funny stuff [and by funny, I mean, it's sooo funny because it's soooo corny!]

Also I recently got the Transformers movie on DVD.  I really enjoyed it, though it's probably to do with my obsession with the soundtrack.  

Maybe a musicals night may be on the cards, or maybe even some 80's animations.
Pus
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2004, 09:08:21 PM »

How about a Punk Rock Night.

The Decline Of Western Civilization: An amazing doc about the LA Punk scene. Real band, real punks, real raw.

Ladies and Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains: A great little unknown about a girl punk group called the Stains and their rise and fall from fame. They open up for a group with Steve Jones and Paul Cook from The Sex Pistols, Paul Simonon from The Clash and Fee Waybill from the Tubes. This is a really great on the road Punk Movie.

Breaking Glass: The story of a young punk girl's rise to fame, only to find out that fame sucks the big one.

You can even break out your old leather pants and torn t-shirts while watching them!!

Cheese is good food. So are the movies. Not food that is, just cheese.
Writer
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2004, 09:59:23 PM »

Punk rock night? Let's not forget the one and only punk rocker Western: "Dudes."

I'm pretty sure that was from the 1980s.
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2004, 08:48:04 AM »

If you're looking for 80's ninja films I recommend anything with Sho Kosugi in it. He pretty much helped bring Ninjitsu to the silver screen during the 70's & 80's.
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2004, 08:51:32 AM »

or how about the Roger Corman produced Suburbia? it has 'flea' from the red hot chili peppers in it also. but be warned everyone, Suburbia is a rather depressing and skewed view of punk life (like all punk movies with the exception of SLC Punk).
Derf
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2004, 09:03:58 AM »

How about a Big Brother night, featuring, of course, "1984" and "Brazil"?

Or possibly a nerd night with any of the "Revenge of the Nerds" movies and maybe "Dr. Alien"?

Or even a Christian Slater night with "Legend of Billie Jean," "Heathers" and "Gleaming the Cube"?

Yaddo42
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2004, 09:01:58 PM »

The Sho Kosugi night is a good idea.

A Chuck Norris theme could work: "Lone Wolf McQuade", "Code of SIlence", "An Eye for an Eye", "Silent Rage", etc. Although you could break those down into his cop films, his paramilitary films ("Missing In Action 1&2", "Invasion USA") and others.

Sequels and clones of "Meatballs": "Meatballs 2&3", "Ernest Goes to Camp", "Party Camp", and "State Park" (technically 1990, but made in the 80s and has the style), or that TV movie starring Michael J Fox "Poison Ivy". There must be others but I can only think of the recent spoof of the genre "Wet Hot American Summer".

Scifi roller skating films: "Roller Blade", "Roller Blade Warriors: Taken By Force", "Solar Babies", etc. Although this many awful movies films in one night may endanger your marriage.

Brat Packers try to act grown up night: "About Last Night", "St. Elmo's Fire", "Casual Sex?".

Trying to get laid on vacation or at resorts: "Blame It on Rio", "Fraternity Vaction", "Private Resort". "My Tutor" might count since the kid is on summer vacation.
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2004, 07:28:46 AM »

haha! you got to love Chuck Norris paramilitary films. beating up drug lords and other evil-doers with Karate will surely make our streets safer and the world a better place.
George
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2004, 07:33:53 AM »

Fraternity Vacation....I totally forgot about that one.

Tim Robbins as "Mother" Tucker.

"So, everyone calls you mother.  Is that because you kind of take care of everyone?"

HILLLLLLLLARIOUS
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  80s Movie Night Themes « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.