Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:14:01 AM
713394 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Spielberg's War of the Worlds (2005) « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Spielberg's War of the Worlds (2005)  (Read 16066 times)
Kory
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2004, 10:56:27 PM »

I'm not sure... one of the things I love about the first one is the cheesy special effects.  I think that if the new one was riddled with obvious CGI (ala SW Episodes 1 & 2, Hulk), it'll really take away from it.  Also, having a "big name" action star like Tom Cruise will distract from the story and add an element of crap.

We'll see, though.  It wouldn't be fair of me to judge it before it's out.
Mitch McAfee
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2004, 07:38:39 AM »

cheesy special effects????
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2004, 07:02:57 PM »

dean wrote:
> Maybe Tom Cruise will be playing the martians! :-P Then it
> would truly be an evil mind invading the Earth.

It wouldn't take much makeup to make an alien out of him.

Really, the only thing that scares me, that convinces me that this story is going to be butchered, is Tom Cruise. With him in the lead, I see it turning into exactly what JohnL described.

Then again, Cruise might be trying to change his image, going for something a bit more mature. Notice the grey hair in his latest flick. Would be a good idea, considering he doesn't look much different than he did in the 80s, and he's not taken much more seriously as an actor.

If he's looking to grow up, this could be a decent movie.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Kory
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2004, 09:44:02 PM »

Yeah, but maybe "outdated" is a better term.  I'm just saying that I would take outdated OR cheesy special effects over crappy CGI.  CGI can be awesome, but in movies like "Hulk" and some of the "Lord of the Rings" scenes, it gets too cartoon-like.
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2004, 04:05:21 PM »

Just read at Dark Horizons that the budget for this movie will exceed the $200 million mark.   Speilberg Mounts Expensive War

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2004, 07:53:09 PM »

A budget that high isn't putting my mind at ease. Quite the contrary. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I'm thinking old H.G. is going to be turning over in his grave by the time this one is in the can.

---------------------
dean
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2004, 08:17:30 AM »

I notice that article says that Cruise and Spielberg chose to get a 20% cut of the takings instead of an upfront payment.

Wouldn't it be really funny then if the film bombs and they get nothing.  Not that I want that to happen to War of the Worlds, but I havnet harboured that much of a love for Speilberg and Cruise [despite Minority Report being one of my favourite movies that came out that year]

I wonder if that is a combined total, or they get 20% each?  I doubt it's combined but just imagine, the studio's must think that the film will be huge to allow them that percentage anyway.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2004, 11:42:48 AM »

dean wrote:

> I wonder if that is a combined total, or they get 20% each?  I
> doubt it's combined but just imagine, the studio's must think
> that the film will be huge to allow them that percentage
> anyway.

Oh believe me, War of the Worlds will be huge!
I predict that it Spielberg's remake will end up as one of the top grossing films of that year.
I think it will rake in as much cash as Spiderman or The Matrix Reloaded if not more.
raj

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2004, 03:27:32 PM »

Considering Hollywood accounting, both Cruise & Spielberg will make money on their 20%, even if it tanks -- in the US, in theater release (you still have worldwide box office, plus tv, plus dvd.)

With a budget that high, I am highly skeptical.  I don't want more whiz-bang special effects, I don't want more explosions per frame than any other movie.  I want a good story with real characters.  F/X are not a substitute for those.
Denison Wright
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2004, 07:31:05 AM »

For just once, it would be interesting to see a sci-fi literary classic  brought to the screen "intact".  I realize this is asking quite a bit...but what if Brooklyn Films produced War of the Worlds, as a "period piece", in the style they've employed in "Sky Captain..."?  That would nail it, for me...

Nonetheless...I will definitely see this remake.
geoff hill
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2004, 01:58:02 PM »

Keen anticipation is my immediate re-action to the announcement of a `New`
version of `War of the Worlds`.  BUT  Tom Cruise as the`hero`..never.The man
is half dimensional and is no doubt scheduled to exterminate the martians
in his usual one arm behind back,don`t disturb the hair style,I think I`ve got
them sussed and I`m the worlds leading computer/weapons nerd.
      As one of  Spielbergs many admirers I feel he could set a new trend by simply adapting the script from the original H.G.W. tale with settings and locations as described by the `storyteller`.Bearing in mind that victory over the aliens was not
achived with weaponry one hopes that this line as in the 1950`s classic will be
closely adhered to.
      We have had many excellent movies set in medieval style and with Dreamworks talent pool a tale of a `star war` set in the late 19th century would be
imaginative and entertaining and the` characters` featured in the original tale
offer great opportunities for some of  the better actors of our time.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2004, 02:06:13 PM »

Hopefully Spielberg himself has read this board and gets a good idea of what the fans really want.
Dean
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2004, 08:08:58 AM »

I don't think setting War of the Worlds as a period piece is essential for the remake.  I think the general panic and dissillusionment that was captured in the book is the most important thing.

That can be done even better set in contemporary time: just imagine the population of New York CIty running from the tripods on foot.  Great panic ensues.  Could be quite good.

The only problem with contemporary setting is the whole advanced weaponry thing.  That could be a bit tricky to navigate.

One thing is for sure: it's gonna clean up big time.

I was just having a chuckle to myself thinking how amusing it would be if the film tanked.  Just imagine all the sad studio execs!
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2004, 07:31:49 AM »

Dean wrote:
> The only problem with contemporary setting is the whole
> advanced weaponry thing.  That could be a bit tricky to
> navigate.

I had the same thought. It could be done, but the tripods would probably have to be bigger and more heavily armed. Probably a good idea to borrow the forcefield from the 50s version too.

That's one of the reasons a period piece might be better for keeping the book intact. Earth's defenses could be beaten by a less formidable machine. Also, if the setting is a little bit further from our own reality, audiences might be more accepting of other elements that are kind of hard to believe. For one, the aliens arriving in meteors rather than in ships that would have so many more advantages.

Still, with Cruise in the lead, I don't think there is much hope that the story will be told as Wells wrote it. Can't see old Tom being the anonymous storyteller who goes throught the story witnessing things and meeting more interesting characters than himself. Unless he's really trying to broaden himself as an actor, he's in this as an action hero.

Post Edited (08-24-04 09:17)

---------------------
Flangepart

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2004, 09:13:24 AM »

Oh, yeah....forgot about the "Narrator thingy."
Hummm....

In the book, the army gets luckey, and gets a "headshot" that kills a tripod. Could have something like that here. Also, the Ironclad Thunderchild rams a tripod, and goes down with a kill, also.
The idea of the aliens beingkillable, but hard to kill, makes more sense. Particulary when you know the books final victory over the Martians. It amazes me...so smart, and they never conciter "Air filters!"
Put me down for a period piece. At least it would avoid an obvious ID4 expectation.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Spielberg's War of the Worlds (2005) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.