Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:17:40 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Spielberg's War of the Worlds (2005) « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Spielberg's War of the Worlds (2005)  (Read 16068 times)
Dean
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2004, 10:27:54 AM »

What role is cruise playing in the film? He could be anybody, really.  I can actually see him playing the part of the Artilleryman, a nice intertextual reference to his action star status.
gregger
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2004, 02:05:56 PM »

Is it just me or does the idea of tom cruise starring in this movie sound awful.  I excited about the idea of remaking the movie but Tom Cruise.  Barf.

Just a thought.
kakihara
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2004, 03:09:18 PM »

As long as he doesn't get to mellow and/or cheesy, I think Spielberg is the right man for the job. Especially if he has learnt anything from taking over directing from Kubrick's A.I.
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2004, 03:36:15 PM »

A remake might actually work for WAR OF THE WORLDS. I liked the original, but it was missing something for me.

Ozzymandias
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2004, 03:08:47 AM »

I think going back to the period piece after the radio and 50s version updated it would be bad. War of the Worlds is one of two stories that the film updates to modern times and it still worked. The other was Heart of the Darkness which was filmed as Apocalypse Now. A few years back TNT made a version of Heart of Darkness in the Victorian setting. It sucked. I believe once you've moved away from the Victorian setting successfully it is impossible to go back.

My question is will they try to use the names from the novel or the 50s movie. It they use the ones from the 50s movie they are going to get some laughs when Tom Cruise introduces himself as DR. CLAYTON FORRESTER.
Prophet Tenebrae
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2004, 06:38:48 AM »

Skeptical, sums it up for me. I kind of get the impression that Spielberg has this hope that he'll be able to recapture those long lost days when he didn't suck.

Tom Cruise - why?
Dave Munger
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2004, 04:08:28 PM »

Ozzy: I think that just means you really liked Apocalypse Now. I consider that to be different enough from Heart Of Darkness for the TNT movie to be the first HOD movie, rather than a remake of AN, and I done digged it big time.
Ozzymandias
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2004, 01:27:18 AM »

I just felt the TNT movie moved really slow. The problem many people have with AN is they can't separate the setting from the text of the film. I had to read HOD as part of my English degree. I recently re-read the book and then watched AN. I had seen AN when it was first shown on TV in the 80s. After reading HOD I was amazed at how much it follows the themes of the HOD. It isn't about Vietnam, it just takes place there. Most people haven't read HOD so they don't understand it. To them it's another movie about Vietnam.

Maybe if I saw the TNT movie again, I would like it better after re-reading HOD.
Eirik
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2004, 09:57:13 AM »

They already did this in 1996.  It was called Independence Day.

Pointless.
Doc Rogers
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2004, 08:04:52 AM »

Okay..A word from overseas then...

When I first read the news about this remake, my heart skipped a beat. I am a huge fan of this story since childhood and didn't really like the Gene Berry-version of 'War...'. I could not understand why Hollywood didn't pick up this story for a remake, because with CGI-technology nowadays it's one of the best stories to capture on film. I disagree with people who don't take trust in either Spielberg as a director or CGI to be satisfying for this project. Mr. Spielberg has proven to be the right man to handle CGI because his Jurassic Park-trilogy is still the best example of what CGI can do. It didn't look fake like 'Hulk' or 'Flubber'. (Why did I ome up with that last example...beats me ;-)
All in all...this is gonnan be something to look forward to. Spielberg is a actor's director, so if the script is right and written in the right setting, like the novel, chances are that this could be up with classics like '2001..', '2010..' and 'Star Wars'. Hell...I think I'll send Uncle Steve an email to put me up as an 'assistent-to-the-assistent-gaffer-runner-cable boy'...or something!

'All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy'...Steven King

Doc Rogers, Delft, The Netherlands

blink
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2004, 01:42:31 PM »

To be even slightly worthwhile, the film HAS to follow the book, and very closely.  Ozzymandias is wrong to say you can't revisit it after updating it.  Ever read the book old son? Frankly someone needs to make amends for the travesty of the '50s version!
  I just hope to the holy lord above that this film won't turn out like the Time Machine (either of the versions.)
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2004, 08:43:45 PM »

I heard Spielberg promises to be truthful to the spirit of the book. I never like hearing this crap, it usually doesn't bode well.  

I agree with blink, if done right this could work well and probably best as a period piece.  I have always wanted to see the part when the narrator and the curate are stuck in the house under the crashed cylinder.  Wells did an excellent job of portraying the madness and mayhem that would occur if such a thing actually happend.

This could be a very chilling movie if they can manage to do it right.  If they don't , it will just be a better made version of Independence Day.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
loyal1
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2004, 05:25:59 AM »

Your signature.."All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy." Is not originally from Stephen King's The Shinning.  I KNOW I saw that quote from a much earlier film and said to myself, "That's where he got it from!". but now for the life of me I can't think of the movie it really came from!

If you know, please ease my curious mind, otherwise I wil be doing some serious IMDB searching. :(
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2004, 10:06:20 AM »

That cannot be attributed to Stephen King, it is an old saying that has been around forever.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2004, 10:08:04 AM »

If they don't , it will just be a better made version of Independence Day.

Which could be a good thing in it's own right...

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Spielberg's War of the Worlds (2005) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.