Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:14:00 AM
713384 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Spielberg's War of the Worlds (2005) « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Spielberg's War of the Worlds (2005)  (Read 16065 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2004, 05:00:42 PM »

trek_geezer wrote:
> If they don't , it will just be a better made version
> of Independence Day.

Which was pretty much a remake of the 1953 version.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Dave Munger
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2004, 06:02:46 PM »

Check out what might have been:

http://lavender.fortunecity.com/judidench/584/warworlds.html

Anyone here read the Harlan Ellison story "Jefty Is Five"?
Doc Rogers
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2004, 06:55:03 AM »

Thanks for the explanation on that liner. I didn't know even Steven had 'borrowed' this one for The Shining. But to be frank, I have no idea what other movie it must have come from. Good luck plowing thru the internet!
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2004, 07:08:44 AM »

Not a movie line, but an old proverb.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2004, 09:47:44 PM »

Now it's being reported that War of the Worlds is now Out of the Night;

http://www.comingsoon.net/news.php?id=6333

Anyone still think this is going to be in any way a faithful adaption of the book?
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2004, 02:46:27 AM »

JohnL wrote:

> Now it's being reported that War of the Worlds is now Out of
> the Night;
>
> http://www.comingsoon.net/news.php?id=6333
>
> Anyone still think this is going to be in any way a faithful
> adaption of the book?

What bothers me is what they wrote on that website:

"Dutch distributor UIP is reporting that the anticipated Paramount adaptation of H.G. Well's 1989 novel, The War of the Worlds"

Notice something wrong there?
Ozzymandias
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2004, 03:43:05 AM »

Does anyone remember the War of the Worlds rock opera with Richard Burton and some other British art rockers of the 70s? The opening theme is cool but then it becomes boring. After you've heard the Orsen Welles radio show, a musical doesn't work.
peter johnson
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2004, 01:07:56 PM »

Of course I remember the Rock Opera!  People used to play that constantly in my dorm at college -- Rick Wakeman & other art-rockers of the day all contributed to it, though it was spearheaded by a guy from The Moody Blues, whose name escapes me.  Wakeman also did a Rock Opera version of "Journey to the Center of the Earth".
I love the Ellison story, "Jeffty is Five".  Ellison really gets the spirit of imagination of the radio audience correct.  Ellison does a lot of things very very well.
What a goddamn shame that Speilberg ain't gonna do "War" right!  "Spirit" my ass!  Oh, well, I'll still give it a chance . . .
peter johnson/denny crane
trent
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2004, 05:07:02 PM »

There starting to film War of the worlds 13 blocks from where I live it's going to be very exciting there building a gas station here in Bayonne, NJ on the city's little league field and there using it for some key shots's then their gonna blow it up. It's gonna be great !!!
Marc W Creary
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2004, 08:42:13 PM »

An earlier message of yours indicated the NPR broadcast of War of the Worlds from 1988.  I have been trying to find this on CD for many years.  I checked at Lodestone Audio and could not find it.  Any more information as to where I could obtain a copy?
peter johnson
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2004, 07:13:55 PM »

Well, I went to the website for Lodestone & found, in disbelief, that it is indeed out-of-print, but an old-time radio site says it may be back in print again soon.  Hope so.  
In the meantime, try contacting the Producer directly:  Judit Walcutt at OtherWorld Media, PO Box 566, Freeland, WA  98249, and/or oworld@whidbey.com
She's the wife of the great David Ossman, of Firesign Theatre fame.
Tell 'em Peter sentcha!
Barring that, I guess e-bay's your next bet.
Damn shame it's not still widely available.  Try contacting your local PRI/NPR affiliate(s) & see if they can run you off a copy.
peter johnson/denny crane
racdrums
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2004, 09:32:24 PM »

I agree. Cheesey special effects??????   The 1953 special effects were great.  I do have a feeling that the remake will fall short of the original, but if it is true to H.G.Welles' novel it will be great.
decoy
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2004, 04:23:59 AM »

3 things:

1. They dont change the date. The movie should be set in the 1800s same as the book.

2. they dont change the location to be america. sorry americans but I'm really tired of America being the centre every alien invasion. London and the surrounding heaths were a great setting for the book and England was great for the PC game (I'm not english by the way).

3. That this be a remake of the BOOK and not Orson Well's radio broadcast.

however, this would require Spielberg not producing drivel to please the masses, Tom Cruise being able to act and Hollywood writers not having their heads firmle ensconced where the sun dont shine ao I am pretty sure my dreams will end unfulfilled

:)
dean
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2004, 09:31:40 AM »

I am a massive fan of the Jeff Wayne musical version of War of the Worlds, fantastic stuff.  I liked it so much so I actually remixed it, though it's not soo good. :-)  

But I don't like it enough to make War of the Worlds, an actual film musical...as funny as that would be!

I don't get it, but I don't see why people are getting so upset about whether the film should stick to the novel, and keep it exact and to-the-letter.

I mean, the original welles radio broadcast was fantastic, and updated the story not only to another country, but in time as well.  I understand the concerns, especially from fans of the novel, but by updating the story line, in my opinion anyway, will give it more authenticity: when we watch people running in panic, we can think that it could happen to us.

I am a bit concerned with how the treatment of the human response is: the nuclear bomb bit makes it a bit tricky.  I think one effective thing about the novel is the fact that the aliens weren't seemingly invulnerable like in independence day.  So this is a bit  of a tricky plot point indeed.

The only thing worth worrying about is the fact that the key to this movie is the sense of hopelessness by the population.  It ain't War of the worlds without the mass dissillusionment.

A few rules of my own for a time-updated version:

Don't focus on the big-wigs of the government and how they are dealing with the threat, focus on the little guys, much like the book: not knowing what's going on helps with the panic.

You must have a similar scene when the main character gets trapped with the Curate.  That part of the book would make for quite an eerie and terrifying scene.

It doesn't really matter where it is set; America or London, or other, just as long as it includes a city in which millions are running for their lives in panic.

Orson welles' broadcast CAN be drawn upon, it was fantastic and very well made, but you must certainly base it on the novel

the feel of the novel is the most important thing, especially if it is an updated version, so if Speilberg at least gets that right, the picture isn't ruined.

That's about it really...
JJ
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2004, 04:54:11 PM »

I love the late 1900s setting for a few reasons:
1) HG Wells foresaw chemical warfare and exposed the helplessness of the military
2) The martians could not adapt to earth's gravity and had to use machinery
3) They martians used shields to avoid the military barriages
4) They used an overwelming firepower and machines (can't wait to see the tripods instead of the cheesy hovering 1953 shielded ones)
5) Military technology was good enough to hurt them, but the martians could dodge cannonballs
6) This is very important: News traveled so slowly back then that London almost did not get a chance to evacuate...and the early reports were almost rumors. Communication also hurt the military while the martians were able to communicate with each other.
7) The lost hope of mankind and a changed world (they could avoid the red weed since we know for a fact that is not what gives Mars its color).

Write me back your thoughts...later,
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Spielberg's War of the Worlds (2005) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.