Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:36:21 AM
713399 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  AVP;What a Bummer « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: AVP;What a Bummer  (Read 7452 times)
Charlie
« on: August 13, 2004, 06:35:40 PM »

Man, I can't believe that movie sucked so bad. Hollywood has all the money in the world and they take the greatest concept to come along before jason and freddie and turn it into a pg-13 suck-fest. No blood , no gore,  very short fight scenes and very non-scary  supposed-to-be-scary scenes.
   I don't know who ruined this concept, but they should bury him or them in an unmarked grave under where the movie was shot and bury both franchises untill somebody like rainee(spiderman) or Jackson(lotr) can find time to revive them.
Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 09:28:06 PM »

Raimi not rainee.

Blame fox for being incompitent and for hiring an incompitent driector/writer.

save the world, kill a politician or two.
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2004, 09:52:51 PM »

I think your right about the concepts being there, but I guess it was hard to translate to screen. I liked the Predators/Warrior/Hunter idea and the action was fair, again like in the other post I think the film was interesting and therefore entertaining. Could it have been better? Possibly, you have to realize that neither creature speaks and then you have humans in the middle of the action. Not an easy undertaking in my opinion.  It is worth seeing at least once. Not sure if I'd feel the need to watch it again.

Post Edited (08-13-04 22:08)

Ryan
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2004, 11:56:12 PM »

Oh, please. Spare us the whole, 'It's all Paul Anderson's fault', because that's a load of horse s**t. Anderson wanted an R rating. Fox decided to shoot him in the head and edit it down to a f**kin' PG-13 instead. Quit b***hing and deal with it.
Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2004, 12:07:50 AM »

Sound's like you're having a harder time dealing with it than me. This is a public forum, and being so you're going to get a variety of opinons. But guess what here is the wonderful thing about peoples opinions,  you dont have to agree with them because they're not being forced on you.

So quit being so rude.

save the world, kill a politician or two.
jga5000
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2004, 12:28:37 AM »

even if it was rated R, it would still be tame, afterall, it's Paul anderson, he said the same thing about Resident Evil

they should have thrown out the bogus story. Here's what it should have been: Predators go to some planet  where Aliens are being breed for the black market. All hell then breaks loose for 2 hours, every person gets killed in the process of the Predators and killing each other. It would have been so great, all you need is an excuse to show the two fight cuase nobody is looking for a Citizen Kane or My Dinner with Andre here.
Genetic Mishap
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2004, 01:36:13 PM »

I came to dislike Paul Anderson (the only filmmaker I've gone out of my way to dislike, I might add) before I came to this board, so hopefully I won't be accused of jumping the bandwagon.

Him directing AVP was the worst film-related news I had ever heard. However, I don't like to think of myself as some frothing Aint-it-cool-news troll, so when the release date came rolling around, I decided to give him another chance. So, without reading any internet spoliers or behind the scenes scoops, I bought my ticket for the 4:35 show on opening day.

SPOILER ALERT

As it started out, my spirits went up- I was expecting horrific, smarmy, Anaconda-esque  characters, so I at least got that much. At least. When that one dude showed pictures of his kids, however, they dropped right back down again. As the end credits rolled, I realized that, while it was obvious that Paul at least tried (really, really tried - how do you do italics on this board?), that doesn't compensate for his extreme lack of qulaifcations and talent.

Let's look at the characters. The main character (I can'r remember her name, even) was boring and one-dimensional. Really, the only promising character was Lance Henrikson's Bishop. He had the workings of a third dimension, what with his illness (which wasn't Evil Greedy Corporate Bastard Syndrome, even!) and his desire to do something with his life. The oppurtunity was totally wasted, however. When he was killed off, his role amounted to nothing. Same thing goes for everyone else.

Maybe this was my imagination, but in the scene when the two Preds were killed off, did anyone see that the Alien was "cloaked" like the Preds? Again, maybe it was my imagination, but if I'm right, AVP geeks should be throwing a fit.

And will someone tell hack directors to STOP USING BULLET TIME?!? Please?

So basically, no ingenuity, and no fun to comenpsate for the lack thereof. Sorry, Anderson.

For fairness, here's some things I liked:

The Alien Queen's final rampage- it contrasts with the relativley slow moving queen from Aliens, but I don't care- it was way cool. The only thing in the movie that made me forget I was watching a bad movie, the Queen chasing Moutain Climbing Lady was a good example of a nightmare monster you can't run away from. CGI done right.

Predalien at the end! Whoo!

And, uh, that's it.

END SPOILERS
JohnL

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2004, 11:35:47 AM »

I haven't seen this yet and with the bad reviews and the listings of things I KNOW would annoy the crap out of me, I'll almost certainly wait for it to show up on cable.

The sad thing is that when this movie flops, the studio executives (who are completely incapable of judging quality) will decide that the public has no interest in Alien or Predator movies.
Genetic Mishap
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2004, 11:48:22 AM »

A final thought-
If you do plan on biting the bullet and seeing this movie, don't watch SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, or any other good movie, immediatly beforehand. You'll be depressed afterward.
pete santana
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2004, 06:23:12 PM »

the movie was somewhat descent until the mountain climber chick and the predator teamed up.  The alien shield head and the alien tail spear made me throw up.  The movie became a complete suck fess after that.
Eirik
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2004, 06:42:06 PM »

"I think your right about the concepts being there, but I guess it was hard to translate to screen."

Sorry, but that's no excuse.  Just like the NBA player who whines that it's hard to hit three pointers when he gets paid $6million a year to do so, it's the director's job to translate tough concepts to the screen -- and Hollywood directors make that same kind of NBA money.  No excuse.  What baffles me is how directors of flops like this (and I predict it will lose money) ever find work again.  God if I lost my employer that kind of money, he'd fire me and make sure I never worked in my field again.

AVP for me was the biggest disappointment since Lucas started pooping out the new Star Wars movies... and frankly I'm not even a real die hard fan of either the Alien or Predator franchises.  I thought it would be can't-miss fun.  I guess I should have remembered the last two Alien movies.  At least they didn't go to the tired old standby of evil corporate monsters wanting to bottle and sell the aliens.  That concept should have died with Paul Reiser.
Harry
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2004, 09:50:01 PM »

Why do you people get so extreme about it?  It really wasn't that bad of a movie.  Maybe if you weren't such pretentious a***oles you might actually enjoy some movies.  I'm starting to think alot of you people are on the wrong message board, I was under the impression that this was a board dedicated to the love of "bad movies"...people who just enjoy being entertained by movies.  You people hate just about every movie you see, and usually your arguments against them are pretty sad, and ALWAYS extreme.  There's some mentality out there that disliking movies makes you appear as if you're somehow more intellegent than the rest of the world, and that you're somehow above modern film.  There are masses of movies on the exact same level as AVP etc. that you probably think are amazing just because they are a couple decades old and it's okay to like a "bad movie" if it's "old school."
The Star Wars Prequels are on the EXACT SAME LEVEL as the orignal trilogy wether you want to admit it or not.  The reason we all love the original trilogy so much more is because it has had two decades to work up the magic that it has.  We've built star wars into what it is today.  We've all loved it so much for so long that it's infallible to us, and nothing, NOTHING, that anyone  (whether he's George Lucas or Jesus Christ) makes can compare to it right away.  If lucas made the prequels twenty years ago, even if they somehow had the same actors and the same scripts, we'd all love them.  
Sorry to go off on a tangent, but my main point is that you aren't really the movie lovers you claim to be.
Jim H
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2004, 10:09:46 PM »

"The sad thing is that when this movie flops, the studio executives (who are completely incapable of judging quality) will decide that the public has no interest in Alien or Predator movies."

It mad close to 40 million opening weekend, exceeding estimates.  It will have a quick dropoff, and probably end up in the 70-80 million range domestically.  Combined with overseas gross, merchandising, and what will probably be very good DVD sales (especially since we'll likely see an R-rated version), it will have been a modest hit.  Perhaps not enough to finance another film though...

"The Star Wars Prequels are on the EXACT SAME LEVEL as the orignal trilogy wether you want to admit it or not. The reason we all love the original trilogy so much more is because it has had two decades to work up the magic that it has. We've built star wars into what it is today. We've all loved it so much for so long that it's infallible to us, and nothing, NOTHING, that anyone (whether he's George Lucas or Jesus Christ) makes can compare to it right away. If lucas made the prequels twenty years ago, even if they somehow had the same actors and the same scripts, we'd all love them.
Sorry to go off on a tangent, but my main point is that you aren't really the movie lovers you claim to be."

Two decades of magic that I didn't experience.  I was born around the time Return of the Jedi came out...  

I hear people say this argument over and over about the prequels, and there is some validity to it.  The original trilogy has its flaws, which are overlooked more than the prequels (which are nitpicked to death).  But you're never going to convince me the prequels are equal films.  Virtually every aspect of them is worse..

The acting is worse (not that Star Wars is great across the board, but christ, the prequels have NO standout performances AT ALL).
The dialogue is worse.
The characters are worse.
The action sequences (with some notable exceptions) are worse.
The direction is MUCH MUCH worse.

Hell, even the editing is worse.

Practically the only thing that is on equal or superior levels to the originals is the special effects and the light saber duels (which are far better in the prequels, I would agree).  

I'm not some huge star wars fan or anything, I didn't go into the Phantom Menace with enormous expectations, but I was left disappointed.  I don't think it is a bad movie, but nothing really special...  Attack of the Clones was a far bigger disappointment.  

BTW, there is no "admitting" it.  What we are talking about is not some objective fact.
pete santana
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2004, 12:57:16 AM »

Harry is right.  I feel the same way about guys who say that they love p***y but are picky about who they f**k.  Fat women need love too.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2004, 01:05:31 AM »

Harry wrote:

There's some mentality out there that disliking
> movies makes you appear as if you're somehow more intellegent
> than the rest of the world, and that you're somehow above
> modern film.  There are masses of movies on the exact same
> level as AVP etc. that you probably think are amazing just
> because they are a couple decades old and it's okay to like a
> "bad movie" if it's "old school."

Amen to that brother!
I couldn't have said it better myself.
I am beginning to believe that ideal about most of the writers on 99% of the message boards I visit...especially the IMDB boards where the mob is fickle and rules with an iron fist.

Are we, meaning you, I and others with the similar views on AVP, the only ones who approach these films with common sense?
Not just common sense but a serious desire to "just enjoy a movie without ripping it to shreds."
To "take it as it is" so to speak.

I admit that that is indeed inaccurate conjecture on my part but what the hell...it sure does feel good to say it!

Such is my defiance against AVP and Paul Anderson haters.
I am firmly on Anderson's side here.

And finally...
I know full well that all of us here, especially on THIS board, are intelligent people and make no mistake about it, WE KNOW OUR s**t when it comes to cinema!
In saying that, I must respectfully disagree with your opinion that we are "pretentious a***oles"...far from it.
Many regulars here, including myself have evolved far beyond the pointless and childish bickering that plagues so many other boards.
This particular message board has a certain discpline and fairness to it that no other message board I've ever visited has even come close to attaining.
In your haste to get your opinion across it's easy to get your blood up and fling insults but trust me guy, this is not the place for that.
I know...I've had my fair share of outbursts here on this board.
There is a reason as to why I have darn near 2000 posts here.
You'd do well to look, read and learn.

Either way, it's nice to have an ally who also shares my own personal viewpoints and helped me to defend a film that I actually enjoyed.

Post Edited (08-16-04 02:31)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  AVP;What a Bummer « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.