Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:33:03 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  AVP;What a Bummer « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: AVP;What a Bummer  (Read 7450 times)
Brother Ragnarok
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2004, 01:37:30 AM »

I don't think it's a lack of common sense to walk into a movie spawned of two of the most impressive, well-loved, and kickass genre movies ever made and expect something righteous, which this was not.
As some of you remember, when every one else was b***hing about Paul Anderson directing, I stood up for him, said I liked Event Horizon (which I still do), and fought the good fight to keep people interested in this movie and at least give it a chance.  I feel like every single executive at Fox lined up and s**t down my throat.  These jackasses take two franchises based around R-rated situations and monsters that tear people limb from limb, and make a movie against a backdrop of 15 years of comic book continuity ranging from "excellent" to "at least it didn't make me want to vomit" which could barely stand up against the least of these.
The "bad" movies we like are things that had no expectations to begin with.  No one ever thought "Blood Feast" was going to rock their world.  They knew what to expect.  There is absolutely no excuse for this movie being as pathetic as it was.  It is, without a doubt, the most disappointment I have ever felt with a movie that had so much going for it.  What a depressing goddamn load to end the franchises with.  Watch it go the Hellraiser route and start crapping out direct-to-video sequels even more dismal and worthless than this.
Enough complaining; here are some things I did like, or at least that made me grin a little:
1.  The Alien Queen on a rampage was very cool.
2.  Bishop playing mumbledypeg with his pen.
3.  The design on the floor of the sacrificial chamber was the logo from Alien 3.

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Prophet Tenebrae
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2004, 11:54:11 AM »

Which is worse - the Anderson haters or the people who tell you that you're pretentious or similar when you say you didn't like the film and then accuse you of over-analysing?

Generally, one forms a base opinion before analysis anyway - analysing is just a way of backing up a point of view, instead of espousing blindly that a movie was really great just because.

I saw the Bishop pen thing - I thought it was pretty weak. The Alien Queen on a rampage was funny, just reminds me of killing one of those b***hes in AvP2. She loved some of the Rocket Launcher, oh yeah.
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2004, 04:55:10 PM »

So....Dark Horse should have done the script. Thats the vibe i'm geting here. Close?

Yep....sounds like one of those "Library specials" to me. I can wait.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Eirik
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2004, 09:20:37 PM »

Hmm. So if I can't just shut off the old brain and just love every movie I see, then I'm a prententious a***ole?  Yeah that makes sense.  I'd be a lot more down to Earth if I posted five paragraphs of effusive praise on every Jerry Bruckheimer vehicle that came down the road.  After all, if it's loud and has marketable stars, it MUST be good -- Madison Avenue told me so.

Sorry to be thinking critically about movies -- especially ones that follow up great movies like Predator, Alien and Aliens with back-to-the-well half-assed rehashing.  And if you honestly believe the prequels are anywhere near the level of Star Wars or Empire in imagination, atmosphere, plot, character, classical story elements, and, frankly, even special effects to some extent, then, well, I may be the pretentious a***ole, but you're the babbling crack addict on the corner blaming head lice and hail storms on the CIA.  

Annakin Skywalker, a Short Round for the 21st Century.
Harry
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2004, 04:48:23 PM »

Eirik is the quintessential pretentious a***ole of whom I spoke.  Notice how he takes things to the ultimate extreme.  He also gives the original trilogy unending praise and gives the prequels nothing.  Notice also his wild and crazy idea that head lice and hail storms have absolutely nothing to do with the CIA.  It's a flipping conspiracy, and anyone with at least half a brain knows that...silly man.
x23
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2004, 09:21:34 AM »

Aliens versus predator was a big let down. this movie was all about making money off the names. they threw out evey thing that was set in all the predator movies, concerning there strenght and fighting abillitys as well as fictional facts they set in time lines. the director or whom ever was obviously a large fan of the aliens and wanted them to win. i used to collect the comics and have the dark horse comic in which the races first meet, they thew all those ideas out the window.
ruind the whole movie with the cheesy human roles, to make it marketable; because they couldnt have just the aliens and predators on some didtant planet alone because there would be no dialoge. HUGE LET DOWN TO THE REAL FANS. .....No Continuity........
Eirik
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2004, 09:56:53 AM »

"Notice how he takes things to the ultimate extreme. He also gives the original trilogy unending praise and gives the prequels nothing. "

AVP for me was the biggest disappointment since Lucas started pooping out the new Star Wars movies...
-- Wouldn't the "ultimate extreme" be "biggest disappointment ever" instead of biggest one in the last four years?

and frankly I'm not even a real die hard fan of either the Alien or Predator franchises.
--  Wouldn't "ultimate extreme" be that I think the original Alien and Predator are the best movies I ever saw which would make me a die hard fan?

Harry's right about one thing: there's someone on this thread using gross exagerrations to try to sound smarter than he is.
Harry
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2004, 12:05:01 PM »

I was referring to your first paragraph ding-dong.  It was pretty undeniably extreme.
You must have missed that little dot  thing between the two seperate statements "Notice how he takes things to the ultimate extreme."  and "He also gives the original trilogy unending praise and gives the prequels nothing."  That's a period.
Eirik
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2004, 12:22:04 PM »

I was referring to your first paragraph ding-dong. It was pretty undeniably extreme.

"Sorry, but that's no excuse. Just like the NBA player who whines that it's hard to hit three pointers when he gets paid $6million a year to do so, it's the director's job to translate tough concepts to the screen -- and Hollywood directors make that same kind of NBA money. No excuse. What baffles me is how directors of flops like this (and I predict it will lose money) ever find work again. God if I lost my employer that kind of money, he'd fire me and make sure I never worked in my field again."

I don't see the extreme part.  People making 6-7 figures should be held to a high standard...  THAT's extreme?  Directors of flops getting second shots at huge budgets seems weird.  An extreme point of view?  I'm missing your point I guess.

"He also gives the original trilogy unending praise and gives the prequels nothing." That's a period.

Unending praise?  Both posts were like 2 paragraphs long.  The Star Wars thing was only a small part of those posts.  I said the prequels weren't as good as the originals.  That is not "giving them nothing."  Are you posting on another board too and getting your responses mixed up?
Ryan
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2004, 12:45:36 PM »

Dark Horse owns the rights to -A- script for the AVP movie, and Paul Anderson wanted to use it, but.. he couldn't. So. Quit blaming him, it's OFFICIAL now that there will be an R-rated director's cut, and everything in the universe will be FINE.
Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2004, 05:13:56 PM »

oh God, Harry give it a rest.

Eirik just let it go.

save the world, kill a politician or two.
Chrisb
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2004, 07:29:26 PM »

Only way Aliens vs Predator would have been any good would have been if Fox had somehow lost or sold the rights to the franchise, and either a smaller distributor taking over or having it privately financed with little interference. Not likely though in these glossy fast-buck, thrill-a-minute-then-forget, days. That's why I lost my faith with the mainstream film industry. That's why there are few sequels to really look forward to, when the general public is happy to digest anything that is thrown at it, as long as there are good names attached...the 'big' directors are just puppets these days, as you say.
Harry
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2004, 12:21:17 AM »

Eirik, you still don't understand what I was referring to, and I'm tired of trying to prove that you're an idiot when you're proving it yourself over and over and over.
Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2004, 01:53:46 AM »

Stop it harry, you're almost as bad as Ryan.

save the world, kill a politician or two.
Eirik
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2004, 10:59:51 AM »

"Eirik, you still don't understand what I was referring to"

If it was a different "first paragraph" you're referring to, you'll have to be more specific... though how many "first paragraphs" could I have written?  Enough of this.  Like the director of AVP, you're boring me, Harry.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  AVP;What a Bummer « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.