Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:28:41 PM
713361 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Wizards « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Wizards  (Read 10458 times)
peter johnson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2006, 08:25:32 PM »

And, oh, I'm reading this thread from back in August, and I have to point out that the "Peace" mercenary droid-thing is a direct copy of Vaughn Bode's "Cobalt 60", right down to the beast he's riding.
I've never heard if Bakshi and Bode fought, so he must've had permission to use it.
If you're unfamiliar with the work of Vaughn Bode, he composed filthy and imaginative science-fiction underground comics in the '60's and '70's.  He died performing one of those dumb self-garrotting sex acts, so perhaps not incredibly bright, but his work looks as if it were drawn yesterday.
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2006, 08:15:47 AM »

They shot Fritz!  Those lousy stinkin' yellow fairies!  They shot Fritz!

I loved this movie.

Join us as we discuss all things schlock at Three Knock Theater podcast:

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/197572800347267/

Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrLYkyXabfSwpcRQjhUMErQ
quabrot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2007, 03:39:40 PM »

Definitely a great movie.  I saw it for the first time a year ago, and I loved it.  Before that, I had avoided it because my father had seen it and told me it was pretty bad (and our tastes are usually similar enough... aside from the horror genre).  But my interest finally got the better of me,a nd I watched it and loved it.  I still can't understand the negative response this movie gets.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2007, 05:09:52 PM »

Heh, theres a 2004 post done by me on this.  Scary!  Anyway I do like THIS film.  BUt dislike the HObbit or his other stuff.
-Ed (the NEW Ed)

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Jim H

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2007, 01:18:01 PM »

As far as Bakshi goes, I consider Fire and Ice to be his best film, of the ones I have seen at least.  It's consistently entertaining, has some quite solid action scenes, and never slows down or descends into semi-pointless weirdness.  It's art is also generally very good, as are the designs.  With Frazetta working on it, no surprise there.

Wizards has one of the greatest anti-climaxes in film history though.

BTW, a lot of the mixing of rotoscoping and live action stuff in his films I suspect is done for budget reasons.  It lets them do some stuff cheaply while spending more money on more important bits (for those who mentioned anime in here, they do much of the same thing, with lots of sequences of still frames with a few moments of much more fluid animation segmented throughout).  Just a guess, though sometimes (parts of Wizards) I think it was done for effect.  I think the charges of rotoscoped soldiers were probably done for lack of time and/or money though.
Wicked Nick
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2007, 07:03:09 AM »

I'm  a big fan of animation and art I , love beautifully animated movies whether or not they have a great story. Having said that I really don't like this film, for the same reasons as has already been said. The animation is very armature, it jerky  and loose and totally detracts from any artistic elements in the movie.Rotoscoping is also one of the worst ideas Ive ever seen in a animated film. I remember seeing the Lord of the Rings movie that this guy did, and it was cool up until they started using that crappy over tinted footage overlaying the animation.

Ph-nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
peter johnson

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2007, 11:21:41 PM »

For a really great Fleischer Brothers Rotoscope experience, check out the Betty Boop ones where they Roto Cab Calloway dancing to St. James' Infirmary Blues!!!  This was such a hot song in its day, that there are no less than 3 different cartoons wherein Cab comes on as a ghost & does the same number, slightly different every time.
They also Rotoed other Cab songs too -- Like "Old Man of The Mountain" -- also a Betty Booper.
I still think the best Bakshi cartoon is "Heavy Traffic"(1973), but apparently the uncensored version is very difficult to find, and is much more powerful than the "R" rated version that seems to be everywhere.
The original "X"-rated version that they showed in London in 1973 is still one of the strongest movies I've ever seen.

Wicked Nick
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2007, 07:56:39 AM »

Are you sure that this is what you meant to say? Were you trying to say "amateur"? You're confusing amateurism with artistic creativity. Kind of like saying, "yeah, that Jean-Luc Godard guy is one of the biggest amateurs of all time." Lookingup
[/quote]

I meant to say "amateur" spell check screwed me up.

But...that movie is almost entirely rotoscoped...so...what? You say that the animation in LOTR was good until the Helm's Deep sequences (which are also rotoscoped)? What gives?

I'm sorry I should have been more clear when I talked about rotoscoping.  My comment was more directed at bad uses of rotoscope like in Ralph Bakshi movies. Rotoscoping is fine when used right, but it shouldn't look like you just made a bad drawing of the image.I understand that getting some elaborate action sequences animated correctly is greatly aided with rotoscope, but to just make the footage look like some cheap over exposed reel of film is inexcusable in my opinion.  If he actually used rotoscoping as just a guide for animating his sequences rather than directly, and poorly copying the actual footage I wouldn't be on here complaining.

Ph-nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
elDuendeVerde
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2007, 02:56:20 PM »

i absolutely loved the animation of "wizards" but find it to be fairly lacking in the pacing department.  it gets bogged down and boring in several sections.  personally, i love bakshi's lord of the rings flick and prefer it to jackson's version.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2007, 07:33:23 PM »

I think that the rotoscoping worked out well for parts of "Wizards."  It gave a certain feel to the evil army.  I have not seen "Lord of the Rings" in a long time, but seem to remember that I thought the rotoscoped parts were terrible.  I will have to go back and give it another look.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
peter johnson

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2007, 12:53:30 AM »

Hello Issac, I don't pop in here as often as I used to --
     Have you then seen the latest version available for "Heavy Traffic"?
     I'm certain you have a very good eye for censorship.  Let us give 2 indications:
When God Himself collapses on Planet Earth, after having been bazookaed by Jesus, were God's genitalia visible, or covered by a fig-leaf?
    When Michael's mother is seen in his dying vision, and she returns with her Star of David hatchet, is the Thing she stikes off the head of Michael's father or is it an enormous set of male genitalia?
     Sorry to be so visceral, but in order for this film to be fully realized as Bakshi intended, then the Extremely Nasty Bits HAVE to be EXTREMELY NASTY!!
It's like a Bukowski novel, or something similar.  The sheer blithering grotesquerie of the Human Condition must exist Full-Blown in order to creat the canvas or the cave for the illuminated figures to cavort upon.  Think Book of Kells.
     So?

peter johnson

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2007, 08:35:27 PM »

Well, God's balls!
This is an odd one, because the generally available R rated VHS of Heavy Traffic has the fig leaf on God, whereas one of the striking scenes in the X-rated version that I saw on the big screen in London in 1973 was a fully-exposed Diety, and the shock waves passing through Him as he collapses on Earth create a striking image indeed -- the fig-leaf was added on later.
Now, I am totally confused that the new version would keep the fig leaf, but bring back the castration imagery from the dying sequence.
What about the Maybellene sequence?  Is the act of oral sex visible as the cars "be motivatin' over de hill", or is it a sort of scrambled drawing of who knows what?  The R-rated VHS commonly available dumbed down the sex in this scene too.
peter j./denny c.

Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Wizards « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.