Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:19:37 AM
713398 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Who else here likes "Strange Days" (1995)? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who else here likes "Strange Days" (1995)?  (Read 2470 times)
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: August 18, 2004, 09:51:00 AM »

Hadn't seen this one in a while. I sort of expected to be completely outdated by now (it portraits a social crisis in a then futuristic 1999), but it seems to have maintained its virtues intact. Kathryn Bigelow has never been a better filmmaker than here, acting from the usually so-so Ralph Fiennes and Juliette Lewis is surprisingly good, and although it is never fast paced the different plot elements (a failed love affair, a political murder, a string of sadistic murders) are always adding tension under the surface.

Plus probably it is the only cyberpunk film you can understand without being a computer geek, because it substitutes computer-generated universes by the "futuristic" version of a video-cam.

Cult classic or not?

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 10:16:48 AM »

I remember this flick being pretty entertaining when it first came out.  I haven't seen it years, but I'm sure it would probably still hold up after all of these years.

If I remember correctly, the plot deals with a future where others can watch your memories, i.e. have them put into their heads.  It seems like there was one where someone jumped off of a building, and then one with a rape/murder.

I'll have to rent this flick again sometime soon to try and bring back some memories.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Jay
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 10:48:47 AM »

This was a pretty good and fun to watch movie.

The one glaring weakness, as Liz pointed out, was the suppostion of a brand new piece of technology developed and in common use in such a short time
nobody
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 02:05:52 PM »

Usually I find films "from the future" to be rather lame, especially when superior technology is involved. We're well past 1999/2000 and I still don't have my "Super conductive QUantive Interference Device." But this film was so good I don't care. I rented this movie on a whim one night- and ended up buying it the very next day.
Yaddo42
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 06:53:43 AM »

I liked it, partially because it was one of the few films where the vast conspiracy that much of the plot hinged on was a red herring. Since most films with a conspiracy subplot tend to make the conspiracy so large that everyone except the hero was involved (although this can work too with the right story). This film still pulled a head trip on the hero, but from another direction.

I just hate that in addition to not doing well at the theater, it has been quickly forgotten (you could say discarded) since it is now considered a film about "the past". I've seen DVD copies in the infamous "Wal-mart $5.50 bin of doom". I've gotten some great bargains but it makes me a little sad to see some movies turn up there.
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 06:27:28 PM »

I like Juliette Lewis' breasts, if that counts.

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Yaddo42
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2004, 04:19:42 AM »

As long as they don't try to convert me to Scientology, I like them too.
dean
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2004, 06:58:36 AM »

I enjoyed this film enough to get the soundtrack [which I really enjoyed, and still do] and have no fear: it shall not be forgotten.  All the first year cinema studies students at our uni had to watch it as part of the course.  It was a pretty good movie, but certainly nothing that is worthy of an oscar or something.  

I felt that Virtuosity was very similar in feeling to Strange Days, even in the soundtrack department.  Just a thought...
Susan
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2004, 07:27:30 PM »

It's dated for me, mostly because of the millenium thing.   Funny you mentiont he movie as I checked it out from the library about 2 weeks ago. I couldn't figure out the fascination with Juliette lewis, she's kinda skanky.  And how did his friend go from being a waitress to a limo driver who can kick anyones ass? lol

The virtual experience thing is interesting because if they could harness that type of technology it would literally be the next drug.

Neon Noodle
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2004, 06:43:33 AM »

>>And how did his friend go from being a waitress to a limo driver who can kick >>anyones ass? lol

Probably the same way that chick on CSI became an investigator after spending her formative years as a stripper 8^)

I liked Strange Days - mainly because none of my non-movie friends did. The idea of jacking into the memories of other people was pretty cool.

In the night, the skull came to his dreams and said, 'You are a fool to rejoice in the entanglements of life.'
Chuang Tzu couldn`t believe this and asked, 'If I could return you to your life, you would want that, wouldn`t you?'
Stunned by Chuang Tzu`s foolishness, the skull replied, 'How do you know that it is bad to be dead?'

-From The Matrix: The Path of Neo
Yaddo42
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2004, 07:13:34 AM »

"Virtuosity" and "Strange Days" are only related vaguely, IMO, because of the near future sci-fi action premises involving forms of virtual reality of both and the fact they were made about the same time, 1995. SD still holds up for me visually, since it is not heavily dependent on CGI effects, while "Virtuosity" looks terribly dated and cheap now, I know they wanted a "slightly fake" video game look for the VR training sequences, but even some of the parts when Sid 6.7 gets into our world don't hold up.

Even though it's not perfect, I'd say SD was better written and is certainly the deeper of the two. Its story is about a mystery, while V is more of a straight forward action thriller, with the bad guy being artificially created.

I'll admit that the soundtracks may be similar, neither one did much for me. Not my thing I guess, plus trying create music that convincing sounds like popular music from the future, even the near future, is very hard to do right.

I saw first "Virtuosity" at a matinee where I was the only one in the theater, and the air conditioning was the best part of the experience.
Dean
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2004, 08:13:08 AM »

I totally agree that Strange Days and Virtuosity are very different films, I just got the same feeling watching them, as if somebody was inspired by the other.  Funny thing is both films came out in the same year, 1995, as Yaddo mentioned.

Strange Days is way ahead of Virtuosity however.  Julliette Lewis is a total skank [but then again many do like a good skank] but overall it was a good film.

That whole murder scene was quite a disturing idea especially:  killing and raping someone, and using the 'squid' technology to make them watch themselves get raped and killed.  That was an unsettling idea.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Who else here likes "Strange Days" (1995)? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.