Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:03:53 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Frigtening Kids Shows and Movies « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Frigtening Kids Shows and Movies  (Read 5142 times)
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« on: August 26, 2004, 07:55:45 PM »

Being as I have a 15 month old daughter, I am constantly subjected to two channels: Noggin (an offshoot of NickJr) and PBSKids.  It never fails to amaze me just how some of the kids shows that they air could be quite frightening.

The main show that I find strange is a kids show called "Boobah".  It is about some weird alien looking creatures that are fat and fuzzy with small heads with lights in them.  They constantly move their eyes back in forth as if waiting for an assasin to take them out.  Their eyes make an extremely creepy noise as they move.

Not only are the creatures weird as hell, so is the entire show.  It's a huge acid trip.  Rainbows, swirling colors, kids dancing in the giant puddles of color, etc.  

And then there are the stories.  They are strange stories with different family members (grandpa, grandmother, etc).  The episode this evening had a pink hat on the beach.  Time freezes and a disembodied voice says in a menacing tone:

"It is a pink hat"

Then "Grandpa" comes in and tries to wear the hat.  You have no idea just how weird all of this is until you see the show.  Hell, for all I know, it's sending subliminal messages to my daughter to try LSD.

Anyway, it got me thinking:

What are some of the shows/movies made for children that are actually fairly frightening?

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 08:07:28 PM »

BTW,

For anyone curious

This is a picture from Boohbah.  Scary.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 08:09:15 PM »

That might be more frightning than Teletubbies (spelling ? )

raj

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2004, 09:29:33 AM »

From the Seventies there was H.R. Puffenstuff.  I enjoyed it, but there was an element of fear with WitchiePoo.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2004, 10:18:04 AM »

There was an element of fear with just about everybody on that show.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Prophet Tenebrae
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2004, 10:53:33 AM »

You haven't seen The Fimbles... although I think that Tweenies (with their ugly heads and obnoxious personalities) and Hoobs (with their communist messages) are the most scarring.
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2004, 11:26:03 AM »

Scott, (IMHO) nothing is more frightening then Teletubbies. Like "Boobah," another import from the U.K.

As for "H. R. Puffenstuf," that program looks normal compared to "Lidsville," where all you have is giant hats running around. Sid and Marty Krofft have alot to answer for.

Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2004, 12:06:18 PM »

Prophet,

Argh!  The Tweenies is extremely creepy!

raj

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2004, 02:03:11 PM »

BoyScoutKevin wrote:

> Scott, (IMHO) nothing is more frightening then Teletubbies.
> Like "Boobah," another import from the U.K.

What about Barney?  Teletubbies, from what I understand, can be fun if you're stoned, but I don't see how that's possible with an annoying purple singing dinosaur.
ED
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2004, 02:29:29 PM »

"The main show that I find strange is a kids show called "Boobah". It is about some weird alien looking creatures that are fat and fuzzy with small heads with lights in them. They constantly move their eyes back in forth as if waiting for an assasin to take them out. Their eyes make an extremely creepy noise as they move."

This explains a lot about this site:
http://www.boohbah.com/zone.html

My gosh, this terrifies me as an adult!
-Ed
ED
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2004, 02:37:12 PM »

Ugh, I have Krofft nightmares.  
-Ed
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2004, 03:36:42 PM »

Loved most of those shows H.R. PUFFINSTUFF with the talking trees, the flute, etc. Also THE BUGALOOS and SIGMAN AND THE SEAMONSTERS.

The ones I didn't like were SHAZAM and ISIS.

Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2004, 05:36:50 PM »

ED,

Holy crap.  That's pretty much a virtual version of the show.  See what I mean?  I can't believe my daughter loves this show.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2004, 09:26:03 PM »

My wife and I just caught a bit of the show today. Wow. It's frustratingly slow and repetitive (I know toddlers are supposed to like that), yet bombarded us with a psychedelic acid nightmare that never stopped. We were mesmerized for a good ten minutes. We laughed out loud a few times, but mostly just stared in disbelief.

The theme song is really something too.

And what's the deal with giving the characters names that are almost unpronouncable?

And speaking of the characters, do they remind anybody else of The Green Slime?

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Dave Munger
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2004, 12:03:07 AM »

Nooo! The Onion isn't letting me search their archives for free anymore for the article on Lidsville nightmares!

http://www.tvacres.com/clothing_hats_lidsville.htm I've been misusing the gift of Ulthar lately, had to google that post to refresh myself on how to link.

The girl bugaloo was my first love. I can barely remember one clever part from Isis. This guy was getting tied up by robbers, and he saw Isis's myna bird on the window sill, so he keeps saying "robbers" over and over. "Why you're just a bunch of ROBBERS! That's what you are, isn't it, ROBBERS?" So the bird goes back to Isis saying "robbers, robbers". Sigmund and the Sea Monsters creeped me out.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Frigtening Kids Shows and Movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.