Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:35:21 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  60 scientists give list of 10 best SciFi movies « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 60 scientists give list of 10 best SciFi movies  (Read 4222 times)
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2004, 11:33:19 PM »

Count me as one of the ones who never noticed any implications that Deckard was a replicant. The things suggesting he might be one are incredibly circumstantial and there's the fact that replicants are considered to be so dangerous and illegal, there's an entire department of the police force devoted to hunting down and killing them. How would a replicant not only be allowed to join the police, but to carry around a high-powered gun and kill those he believes to be replicants?
Yaddo42
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2004, 04:38:10 AM »

I see the circumstancial evidence claim, that's part of why I say the answer is up in the air.

You have to read into things a bit to claim that Deckard was a replicant, seems like. Some claim Deckard was the other member of the group of escaped replicants (the one  reported destroyed) and has been reprogrammed or lied to. The thinking, I guess, is that the replicants are so dangerous that the best one ot hunt them down is another replicant. Also from this line of thinking Deckard may not be a former member of the police, he may just have been reprogrammed to think he was. Deckard's blandness of personality and his confusion at times is supposed to support this, I think. This is all supposed to jibe with the general air of confusion, misdirection, and "your reality isn't what you've been lead to think it is" that is so much a part of PKD's writing. There's a chapter in the book where Deckard is arrested after killing on the replicants, only to find out that the police precinct he's taken to is a fake filled with other escaped replicants hiding in plain sight as police employees. The detective who tells all this to Deckard begins to plant the seed in Deckard's mind that he may be a replicant as well. I've always figured the "reprogrammed replicant" idea was a way of invoking this subplot that was droped for the movie.

It does involve the kind of explaining away things and looking for outside info that goes against the "if it ain't in the film, it ain't there" theory some have. It also reminds me of the kind of explanations that fans of "Signs" had for the holes people like myself who didn't like that film brought up.

Like I said, I prefer the true answer isn't known idea, it's more interesting to me that way, so I'm kind of the wrong person to make and support the "Deckard as replicant" argument wholeheartedly.

You can probably google around and find better explanations and supporting evidence, enough people support the idea that someone must have spelled this out somewhere online. After all, I read a website once filled with seemingly serious essays and evidence claiming that the two halves of the Tyler Durden character in "Fight Club" are really Calvin and Hobbes from the great comic strip all grown up and manifesting as split personalities.
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2004, 08:08:38 AM »

Heh, gonna have to disagree about Tyler/Jack from Fight Club being Calvin & Hobbs.  It's pretty much a metaphor for confused sexuality.

As for the version of Blade Runner floating around the airwaves, it's the original version - not the director's cut.  I caught the end of it recently, since I had never seen the original ending.  Awful.  The director's cut is much much better.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Dave Munger
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2004, 04:24:32 PM »

Haha, I just remembered that when my friend wanted to see Fight Club I said that it looked like it was going to just be a series of frustrated gay impulses put on film. Then when we saw it, the very first image on the screen is that guy shoving a gun down the other guy's throat. The rest of the movie was just warmed over Marx though.
Yaddo42
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2004, 09:46:41 PM »

I just thought the Fight Club/Calvin and Hobbes idea was so loopy that it was funny to see how far the guy went to argue such a pointless claim.

Didn't want to hijack the thread by mentioning it, just wanted to use it as an example of film theories and explanations floating around online. Google :blade runner deckard replicant theory, and see what turns up.
rupert delimini
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2004, 04:38:15 PM »

give me the names and biogrphy of fifteen best scientist of all time.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  60 scientists give list of 10 best SciFi movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.