Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:09:17 PM
714218 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  can anybody explain to me why people think near dark is good « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: can anybody explain to me why people think near dark is good  (Read 3042 times)
joe shindle
« on: October 15, 2001, 03:45:16 PM »

I really hated this movie. It wasn't good accidentally. It was soooo  bad that it wasn't good at all. It was the most boring movie I've ever seen. It did put me to sleep at parts so maybe I slept through the good stuff. Even though it was really mainsream, I think the best vampire movie ever was Lost Boys, although any movie the greatest actor ever, Corey haim, in it is good. Fright Night was good
Drezzy
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2001, 03:55:53 PM »

Fright Night WAS good...so was Lost Boys. Hmm...Near Dark has Bill Paxton and Lance Henriksen in it, right? 2 of my favorite actors...I should check it out...

I always thought that they should have made a movie of RL Stine's Vampire Kiss, because it truly is Stine's best work to date. His Goosebumps series got incredibly dumb after "Don't Go Into The Basement," resorting to cheap thrills and the sort. Blech...child horror is pitiful, even in a B-Movie sense...
Chadzilla
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2001, 05:34:01 PM »

Well I liked Fright Night, but I hated The Lost Boys with a passion (hip and funny and shot at Santa Cruz Beach and Boardwalk - well one out of three doesn't win anything from me).

I thought Near Dark was relatively stylish and the idea that vampires would live in small, drifting clans of poor white trash seemed a better idea than the homo-erotic Peter Pan pretensions of Joel (Batman & Robin) Schumacher's teen cream flick (sorry, I really hated TLB).

I loved Bar Scene, especially how Bill Paxton tormented everyone then Boss Hog Vampire Lance casually slit the throat of the bar waitress, let pour into his glass, and then gulped it down before swaggering to his feet and telling every human in the bar to relax, they were going to be dead in few more minutes anyway.

Hey, and TIM THOMERSON's in it.

I also like the fact that the drifters in Near Dark could use the faces of those prancing pretty boys from TLB as toilet paper and not even blink, or break out in a sweat.

Beside, TLB is a rancid piece of s**t (then again I hated it and you didn't - even my best friend liked it, which made me pass out when he told me).

I'll enjoy my movie and you enjoy yours, humbly agreeing to disagree.

That's my word, for what little it's worth.
Jay O'Connor
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2001, 01:16:50 PM »

Anyone else think Lance Henriksen is a good challenge to Tim Thomerson as "King of the B Movies"?  He seems to be in *everything*

His only disgrace is he actually had a good movie and a decent TV series... :)
joe shindle
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2001, 02:54:56 PM »

I respect all opinions. Maybe I should watch Near Dark again, this time when it is not 3 am.
Mofo Rising
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2001, 08:29:16 PM »

NEAR DARK is probably my favorite vampire movie (outside of FROM DUSK TIL DAWN, which is an exception).  I don't know, I just really dug the s**tkicking vampire vibe.  None of the pretentious foofooness of other films, just a couple of badass bloodsuckers going around the country killing people.  I also think the performances are excellent all around.  The one exception is that stupid kid.  I've hated him in everything I've ever seen him in.

There's also a great rendtion of "Fever" by the Cramps.

Anybody notice a shift in vampire films recently?  No more of this brooding creature of the night, more and more movies are making them monsters with more of a gang mentality.  A plus in my book, but I can't help what wonder what the next incarnation is going to be.  Tecno-vampires?
Vincent Price
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2001, 11:52:21 AM »

techno-vampires exist in movies
just watch Blade with Wesley Snipes (very mainstream even though it was awefull). I hated the music (misfits rule! :D:D:D)
Chris1
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2001, 04:24:08 PM »

I loved Near Dark when I saw it on HBO one time early in the morning. It's way better than Frrom Dusk Til Dawn that movie whent way to fast killing everybody to know  them and like them. As for Blade I'll stick to the  Blade comic books.  Near Dark was fantastic horror movie it had a great cast Lance Henriksen, Bill Paxton, and Jenette Goldstein the stars of Aliens and Tim( Jack Deth) Thomerson in it too. I also like the song they used John Parr's  "Naughty Naughty". when they came threw the bar door.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  can anybody explain to me why people think near dark is good « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.