Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:57:21 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Tried to show BRAINDEAD to my fellow classmates « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tried to show BRAINDEAD to my fellow classmates  (Read 4476 times)
Chris K.
« on: October 15, 2001, 07:27:09 PM »

Unfortunately, they just did not get the comedy in the film. They thought it was a serious horror film! Jesus, these people I know just don't understand black comedy (one of them felt I was racist because I called BRAINDEAD a black comedy). Instead of judging the film by it's humor, they judged it by the budget instead (3 million is no good for these viewers). Now they are dissapointed becasue they recently found out that BRAINDEAD's director Peter Jackson is making THE LORD OF THE RINGS trillogy and they feel it will feature gore and a lawnmower chopping people up! With the IQ these classmates have, it's no wonder why they did not get it (or why they don't pass their classes either)! And when you tell them Leonard Maltin gave it three stars their only response is "Whose Leonard Maltin?" Thank God I don't live under a rock like they do. I respect their opinions, but saying BRAINDEAD is not a comedy is like saying BLAZING SADDLES did not create the new generation of gross out comedy! Now they think I am crazy, but I am proud to be crazy in a good way, not a bad way.

Questions or comments anyone?
josh patrick
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2001, 08:03:09 PM »

I loved Braindead. I once tried to show Evil Dead 2 to my friends and they thought it was gorey and cheesy and stupid(They are all foolish mortals). Evil Dead 2 is a kind of movie you have to be able to understand just like braindead. If you have the taste of a three year old you wont get those kind of black comedies.You have to be smarter than the vcr.
AndyC
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2001, 08:49:44 PM »

Back around 1990, I attempted to show The Toxic Avenger to a couple of friends. They spent the whole time b***hing about how this thing looked crappy, and that thing was hard to believe, and generally pointing out every obvious 'flaw' they could find. They simply could not get their heads around the idea that it was intentionally bad. They simply refused to believe it. The joke was lost on them.

I certainly understand the statement about people living under rocks. My most recent experience was after seeing Rat Race and trying to tell people what I thought of it. This began with a comparison to It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, followed by a blank look from the other person. I would then have to explain both movies. These friends and coworkers were no younger than I am, and pretty good with movie, song and TV references. I really thought they might have at least been aware of a three-hour comedy with a huge all-star cast and a whole pile of celebrity cameos.

It is amazing just how 'movie-illiterate' many people are. I can't decide whether the entertainment industry is to blame, or their own lack of curiosity and imagination.
The Bard
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2001, 09:00:27 PM »

eh, its everyone that grew up on MTV.

Perfect example. I tell my GF I have the greatest comedy she will ever see (Monty Python and the Holy Grail) She complains and whines at me that it sucks untill the part with the Black Knight, where she starts laughing like crazy and loves the rest of it. Her reason for hating it before seeing it? It looked old and the guys spoke English (the England type)

Or even better, she tells me that she hates the song "Because I got High" That is untill she starts hearing it on Radio Stations that she listens to.

Basically it seems that people that grew up totally dependent on MTV seem to refuse to take a position on something that may not seem cool or unpopular, and refuse to take any sort of time to actually research or learn what they are talking about.
Chris K.
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2001, 09:42:01 PM »

When I tried to work for the school newspaper I told them I do film reviews. Simple as that. Well, they respect that. But when I write a review for a film like Mario Bava's BLOOD AND BLACK LACE or Andy Milligan's THE BODY BENEATH the editors cringe and act like they are big authorities on film, they say they never heard of the film, and they don't even go out there and rent them even when they are available right in front of them! Disclosure towards interesting features? That seems to be the case indeed.

Here is a good story for you. I was finaly accepted in the school newspaper (and for trying to get in for 3 years, something happens). So I write a review for none other than BRAINDEAD, I hand it in, and they liked it. But guess what? They can't print it because the film is "Unrated" and their is an R rated cut (they claim they can't print a review on a film that is R rated, but it gets better). So they tell me this, and I act like I understand. But I don't because I pick up last September's school paper and suprise, suprise their is a film collum with the mention of the film HANNIBAL. But wait a minute? Isn't HANNIBAL rated R (more or less should get the NC-17 as some film critics say)? It is and the school paper rule is "No film reviews that are rated R are allowed to be printed". Well I am saving this paper for evidence if I need it for support. That and the fact that I tell newspaper editor Craig and he says it's not true. And when I mention that SILENCE OF THE LAMBS was placed as a Valentines Day recommendation in Freshman year and he should check the newspaper archives, he tells me in a snobby way that I am wrong and that he knows it's not in the Freshman year paper! Talk about rude. And a bunch of liars to boot! For once, I would like to see my review of BRAINDEAD placed that newspaper instead of hearing the same singing praises to horrid features like THE PATRIOT or SCARY MOVIE!

This is a specific example about people with closed minds who don't bother to give it a try. I mean, I recommend Lucio Fulci's DON'T TORTURE A DUCKLING and everybody says "I never heard of it" or I mention it was made in 1972 and they cry out "It's a cheesy 70's flick". But mention a 1970's film like STAR WARS or A CLOCKWORK ORANGE and they will say they are fantastic films no matter what year they were made in. What really p**ses me off is the term "I never heard of it." Well, that's how it's called "rediscovery". Teachers tell us to learn and rediscover the concepts of the educational standpoint, and yet these students  can't rent a simple movie!

But it's not the students who live under a rock, but these teachers as well. Well to sum it up, I am not going to stand for this and I am going to take some action. I find it a bad excuse to tell me I can't print anything, but they let the other individual do so. What do you think about this? Ridiculous or just plain stupid?
Nathan
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2001, 10:43:16 AM »

So, knowing the IQ level going in, whatever possessed you to try to show this movie to those people?

Even documentably intelligent people sometimes can't look past the gore to see the humor -- or rather, appreciate that it's humorous, but can't stop their stomach churning long enough to laugh.

My own (ahem) recent experience on that subject:
http://www.coldfusionvideo.com/d/deadalive.html

Nathan
Flangepart
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2001, 10:47:56 AM »

While i don't have an intrest in all the films the Badmovieites like, i can understand the reasons you guys like them...not nessarily agree with you, but i can comprehend your reasons. You seem to be dealing, here, with what i call "The Lemming Syndrome". Money = power, there for a bigger budget = "respectability". Its the simple minded pecking order of the insecure. These people are needing to know how to be acceptable, and fit into the social norm.And in this case, they need to "know" what is acceptable to the "Ruleing Peers". I hope this makes sense........but, i mean the way people don't take the intellectual effort to comprehend an idea that the herd has no easy familiarity with. Lazy minds are easily shepareded by who ever speaks the loudest. We adults are more like children then we like to admit....its just a comparitive complexity, that come with the experiance age makes possable. I'm 45, and there for i have had oppertunity for wisdom...not a gurrantee, mind you, but an oppertunity. Some of us old geezers take it...some don't. I have learned to step back, and mull things over, more then i did as an impaticent child. But, i can still find myself drifting, insted of swiming. Maby you should think up a series of questions, that can sift out the reasons they react to the films you reccomend. See if you can get them to reveal more then they intended, or were even aware of. Just a thought.
Chadzilla
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2001, 12:11:05 PM »

Two thoughts - one is that they just could not care less, something that utterly baffles fans (let us all take a moment to note that fan more than likely derives from FANATIC), how can something that arouses such emotion and thought in you be greeted with such utter demeaning apathy?  Some people just don't "get it" and thus they do not care and cannot be made to.

Numero Two-o: Flange was right about the whole Lemming Thing.  A great deal of teenagers want, more than anything, to feel excepted during a troublesome time in their lives, so across the board popular culture (what the herd likes is cool, everything outside isn't - so keep it away from me) rules.  Dear Mr. K, I feel you will have a far more respectful audience for your reviews once you begin attending college (if you so choose), where exploration and expansion of one's individuality is much more exceptable and, in fact,  encouraged  (that and getting an occasional energetic lay at one of the ubiquitous dorm keggers, but I digress) than in the repressed High School environment.

There is my senseless two cents worth.  G'bye!
StatCat
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2001, 05:21:00 PM »

Believe me I know how you feel, I've had that happen several times. People now a days are just blinded by budgets, hollywood, stars etc. and won't even bother to open their minds to what is out there. Lack of imagination is a fine way to put it. They are constrained to professional reviews and to their own little knowledge of what should be good or bad. Some people will just totally tear a genre film like a b-movie or credible horror film apart just for what it's labeled under and it's content without other thought.
Mofo Rising
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2001, 12:23:56 AM »

I agree with all the points made here, but I think it's important to remember that to a lot of people movies just aren't that important.  All they are is an entertaining way to spend two hours.

Now I gather that everybody here is a pretty serious movie buff.  Why else would we be frequenting a site dedicated to the not so good ones?  We each follow our own movie aesthetic.  Whatever that may be, at least we've got one.  Most people just want to see something to get their minds off their crummy lives.  Well, that may be a little harsh, but you see my point.  So a little leeway should be given to those who don't stress much importance on movies.

Of course, if these people consider themselves "movie fans", feel free to rip them a new one.
Skaboi18
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2001, 10:20:54 PM »

I agree with everything that has been said on this thread.  

What I find very amazing is that I would rather watch a badmovie than a major film.  Some friends and I saw "Don't Say A Word" the day it came out.  The movie was complete s**t.  It was all hollywood fluff.  My friends know I am a huge movie buff so they asked my opinion at the end.  I told them it was boring and contrived and that I could have done better with half of the budget.  Many of them hated me for the rest of the night.

I do believe that it is our society that conditions people to like "mainstream" entertainment.  I say f**k hollywood!  I say f**k mainstream films!  What we need is an indie film revolution.  People need to learn that other films can be enjoyable!  Don't like a film because everyone else does.  Like a film because it moves you in some way.  Like a film because it opens you up to something that you'd never thought about before.  

~Steps down from the soapbox and walks away~
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Tried to show BRAINDEAD to my fellow classmates « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.