Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:52:01 AM
714236 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Truth in Advertising, please « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Truth in Advertising, please  (Read 3341 times)
Jay O'Connor
« on: October 16, 2001, 01:00:29 PM »

OK, I saw "Deep Space" this weekend. http://us.imdb.com/Title?0092863

Problem is, there was very little space and it was only near earth orbit.  Some sort of biological weapon created in a sattelite accidentally crashes back to earth and subsequentallystarts eating the local poplus.

This was basically "Dirty Harry versus Alien".  A tough, play-by his-own-rules cop (Charles Napier, the Space Hippie :) tracks down the killer Alien rip-off (and I really mean ripoff!) through..um..suburban U.S.A

So what did this have to do with "Deep Space"  *Nothing*!  At least the equally bad "Dead Space" (starring Dar The Beastmaster) took place on another planet.  Shouldn't the title at least be somewhat related to the plot, or story, or something?  FWIW - the cover art was pretty unrelated to the movie as well

There were a lot of other problems with this movie:

1) Very bad dialog - "The street is my boss"
2) Too many side plots with not enough time for proper exploration - or resolution.  The military-scientist plot goes nowhere.  The government coverup plot goes nowhere.  The romance plot goes nowhere and makes no sense to begin with.  The killing monster never really gets killing.  Ron Glass (of "Barnery Miller") would've made a nice contrast to Napier's character, but that never really develops and Glass dies too soon.  The change-of-heart character development of Napier's boss never really comes through

3) Too much of Napier trying to be a tough cop and doing ridicoulous things:  Crashing his car into his own trash.  Driving like an idiot for the sake of it and almost hitting other cars in almost empty streets.  Telling off his boss for no reason other than to prove he's a'tough-cop'

Anyway....
Jay O'Connor
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2001, 01:01:15 PM »

Forgot...the physic who keeps calling Napier with warnings...another unexplained subplot to nowhere
Flangepart
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2001, 12:50:48 PM »

you did read Nathans review of this gem at Cold Fusion video, diden't you? If you had, you would have been warned! Oh,well. Let that be a lesson to you young carbon based lifeform! When in doubt, check the title with the B-Masters title lists....its good for your mental health!.........like i should talk! Hah!
Andrew
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2001, 06:40:54 PM »

You know, I was looking at this post and suddenly realized why it looked so wrong to me.  "Truth" and "Advertising" in the same sentence?

"Alien Predators" is another misnamed flick.  They aren't really predators so much as an infectious agent.

Andrew
Jay O'Connor
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2001, 06:57:37 PM »

"Alien Predators" is another misnamed flick.

That one and "Alien Terminator" seemed so named to catch people's attentions with a reference to the two other movies they derive their title from.  

In Alien Terminator, it wasn't even an Alien, but something the drug-popping scientist created in his lab.  In other words, the *sole* reason for the title is to identify what movie they ripped off from, which was pretty easy to identify, anyway.

In answer to Flangepart, no I hadn't caught a review of this one yet before I rented it :)
Jim Hepler
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2001, 08:37:16 AM »

Yeah, my review of it here pointed that out to.  Read the back of the box, the lies on it are so over the top it's hilarious!  I think I'm gonna hook my scanner up just to get a pic of it..
Jay O'Connor
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2001, 11:18:07 AM »

I didn't read the back of the box too closely; thanks for pointing that out in your review, which I read a few months ago but forgot about.  Hey, Jerry didn't rate a "Jerry: Ron Glass!"?

I'm not really disappointed in the movie itself, it was exactly what I expected in terms of budget and quality.  I was just amused at the discrepency between the box and the actual film.
Nathan
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2001, 10:26:56 AM »

That's us, The B-Masters Cabal: Sacrificing Our Sanity For the Good of Mankind.

Nathan
Nathan
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2001, 10:29:34 AM »

Alien Terminator actually sets some records.  Not only is the creature not alien, not only does it bear absolutely resemblance to the spooky silhouette on the cover, but the photo of Maria Ford on the cover (blonde, wearing a sexy leather Fredericks of Hollywood getup -- obviously a promo photo from one of her many "strippers in jeopardy" flicks) looks nothing like she does in the movie (black-haired, wearing a floppy T-shirt 24/7).

Nathan
Flangepart
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2001, 11:00:59 AM »

Ah. Amused at the discrepancy on the back of the box, but not suprised. Good. Shows your getting wiser! There is less B.S. in the Chicago stockyards then in Hollywood! And thats retro-active to 1920. Thats a lot of Bovine Scatology!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Truth in Advertising, please « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.