Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:59:12 PM
714253 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Need help with old sci/fi type show « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Need help with old sci/fi type show  (Read 4282 times)
loyal1
« on: September 13, 2004, 10:32:57 PM »

I was trying to remember the name of a show I use to watch as a kid...it was on the same lines as Twillight Zone and Ray Bradbury (but not so much Tales From the Darkside and Tales from the Crypt).  

Can anyone help me out here?!  Please? :)
nobody
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 10:53:05 PM »

Amazing Stories?
Tales from the Crypt?
Alfred Hitchcock presents?
kriegerg69
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 11:22:54 PM »

ONE STEP BEYOND?

THRILLER?

OUTER LIMITS??

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Mein Führer! I can walk!!"
loyal1
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 01:28:01 AM »

Ah that was it...Amazing Stories.  You know I can only remember bits of one damned episode/story and I use to watch that all the time as a kid.  I just remember these weird aliens that had block-like hands, short and clapped with them.  There was an old person in it too.

As far as I can remember, Amazing stories was not really like Tales from the Crypt, Alfred Hitchcock Presents and the like...it seemed more lighter.  But then again I can't really remember much of it...lol.  

Thanks for your help...I think I am going to search it down and see what I can find.
*********************************************************************************
If anyone has any other suggestions of these types, I would love your help.

Here is what I have so far on the list (and some I have):
-Twillight Zone (original only)
-Tales From the Darkside
-Tales From the Crypt
-Ray Bradbury Series
-Outer Limits (original only)
-Tales From the Crypt
-CreepShow (1 &2)
-and now Amazing Stories

I know there has to be more! :)
loyal1
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 01:30:57 AM »

Never heard of Thriller...will definately have to check it out!  If you have any more you know of, I would be grateful. :)  

For some reason I have been trying to purchase many of these old episodes from various ...hmmm, what would the right name for these type of shows be?
Ozzymandias
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004, 01:33:11 AM »

At the time Bradbury was doing his show, Kurt Vonnegut did a show called "Welcome to the Monkey House" based his collection of short stories.

I also remember a short lived anthology called Monsters.
Dreggen
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2004, 02:56:41 AM »

The zombie episode of Amazing Stories was great stuff.  Like NOTLD two years later and funny.  Any one else want to go hunting on zombie hunting day?  Yeah...that's right!
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2004, 03:28:26 AM »

A great series produced by Steven Spielberg.

I remember a few good episodes.
There was the one called "Life on Death Row" with Patrick Swayze in jail and he discovers he has the ability to heal people.
It sounds like a rip off of "The Green Mile" but that particular episode was written years before King wrote his serial novel.

The best one I can remember was called "The Well" or something like that.
It's about a well that yields priceless objects like golden coins and other assorted trinkets.
The old farmer who owns the well is cruel to his daughter and she tricks him into going down into the well via a rope and it turns out that there are living things down there who have been sending up all the gold.
He goes down that well and he is the daughter's gift to the beings in the well.
He's never heard from again.

Or at least that's how I remember it.
I'll have to look that up.
(UPDATE)
I found that episode and it's called "Thanksgiving".
Here's the synopsis:
Thanksgiving
When their dry well yields a gold coin and a note written  in
hieroglyphics, a man and his teen-age stepdaughter have contrast-
ing reactions: he rushes off to cash in on the  wealth,  and  she
reciprocates the beneficence of the "hole people".

Another great one was called "The Mission"
It was about a  World War II gunner who's trapped in the ball turret of a B-17 bomber.
The landing gear was blown off and the mechanism to enable him to get out of the ball turret was also damaged.
He faces certain death because when the plane lands with no landing gear, he'll be crushed to death when it glides in on its belly.
One of the other crew members starts drawing a picture of the plane and draws it with big yellow cartoon wheels.
These wheels actually take form underneath the plane and allows them all to safely land.
That one had Kevin Costner & Kiefer Sutherland in it and was also directed by Spielberg.

Post Edited (09-14-04 03:52)
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2004, 03:55:34 AM »

I found a great episode guide for Amazing Stories.
I'm amazed at all the famous celebrities who starred in many of the episodes.

GO HERE TO CHECK IT OUT
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2004, 07:51:17 AM »

ASHTHECAT wrote:

> One of the other crew members starts drawing a picture of the
> plane and draws it with big yellow cartoon wheels.
> These wheels actually take form underneath the plane and allows
> them all to safely land.

Ash, you missed one tiny detail here...it was he who drew the picture.  He was the crew's good luck charm, and they were all very upset about potentially losing him.      He was a cartoonist, and drew pictures of them, and (speculation:) I think they thought he was drawing them a fairwell picture before he died.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Mr. Hockstatter
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2004, 08:44:30 AM »

They still show Amazing Stories on the Sci-Fi Channel every once in a while.  They just did a bunch of episodes a few days ago.

Another one you might check out is Night Gallery.  It was more horror oriented than sci-fi, but along the lines of the rest of the stuff you mentioned.
nobody
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2004, 10:36:57 AM »

Dreggen: "The zombie episode of Amazing Stories was great stuff. Like NOTLD two years later and funny. Any one else want to go hunting on zombie hunting day? Yeah...that's right!"

That wasn't "Amazing Stories". That was a "Monsters" episode. You can still buy that episode on VHS from Amazon.

I thought it was completely unfunny, however. Oh well...
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2004, 11:45:48 AM »

does anyone remember that show the Hitchhiker? that show used to really trip me out.
kakihara
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2004, 12:27:27 PM »

Doctor Who used to scare the hell out of me ... But then again, I'm easily scared :-)

odinn7

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2004, 06:37:45 PM »

There was also "Darkroom" with James Coburn as the host. The short-lived series ran somewhere around '81 or '82...anyone remember this one?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Need help with old sci/fi type show « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.