Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:56:19 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Secretly filmed WotW beats Spielberg to the punch « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Secretly filmed WotW beats Spielberg to the punch  (Read 1504 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: September 15, 2004, 11:23:33 AM »

Just got this off of slashdot .  A period piece version of War of the Worlds has already been shot and may be released early next year.

This should be interesting as it looks like an indie type film, but they do claim to have an 8 figure budget.  Check it out here WotW

I do hope this is good, because I've always wanted to see this set in the time it was written.

Post Edited (09-16-04 10:34)

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
nobody
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2004, 12:10:01 PM »

This is the kind of stuff you have to worry about as a filmmaker if you rely on filming remakes instead of original ideas.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2004, 12:10:14 PM »

Read the same thing yesterday from Chud.com.  Pretty interesting I do believe.  They said they feel no pressure from Spielberg being as the two films will be set in completely different time periods.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2004, 10:29:30 AM »

They might not be in the same setting, but there will be comparisons, and probably some complaining about how Spielberg and Cruise messed up Wells' book. The existance of a faithful adapatation will only serve to highlight any liberties they take with it. And critics have been known to advise audiences to give the big movie a miss if there is a smaller and better picture that deals with the same subject.

If Spielberg keeps this possibility in mind, it might have a very positive influence on his film. This is encouraging news.

Oh, and adapting a classic of literature is not the same as a remake. If it were, we might as well tell Shakespeare companies to get some original ideas. I think I've explained it before - some stories are in a different class, and worthy of revisiting. War of the Worlds, in particular, has not been filmed in over 50 years, and has never, until now, been adapted faithfully. I'd say it's due.

Don't confuse this with the current crop of lazy crap.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2004, 07:46:58 PM »

I hope this thing gets some decent stateside distribution, it sounds like it was made by talented people who love the material, and that almost always turns out wicked rockin'.  Like Hellboy.

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
JohnL

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2004, 05:30:16 AM »

This is great news! Hopefully Cruise and/or Spielberg won't get p**sy at the last moment and try to have this film shelved until after theirs comes out.
Sugar_Nads
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2004, 10:17:24 AM »

I don't know man.... In my opinion... from what I can tell, it's going to suck huge donkey balls. ; )

- Sugar_Nads
Dreggen
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2004, 10:31:46 PM »

I can't wait to see a close to the book film of war of teh worlds, I like the old version very much but the setting and harshness of the book would be awesome to see,  the horror of an invasion from mars, the dead lining the streets along with their carts of belongings and the bloated dead horses that pulled them.  I was hoping that Spielberg was going this route, he is comfortable doing realistic period war films right?  And Mr. Cruise needs to sit this one out, when will hollywood realize that a big name actor is not needed in a lead role for this type of movie.  This is almost as bad as casting Arnold in the lead for the "I Am Legend" adaptation. (thankfully hasn't happened)   This is supposed ot be a regular joe stuck in strange circumstances.  GAAAH!! Sorry, I had to get that out.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Secretly filmed WotW beats Spielberg to the punch « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.