Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:21:54 PM
714158 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Buck Rodgers in the 25th Century coming to DVD « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Buck Rodgers in the 25th Century coming to DVD  (Read 2593 times)
Mr. Hockstatter
« on: September 24, 2004, 07:56:53 AM »

Check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002MHDW4/ref%3Dpe%5Fian%5Ft%5Fth%5Fem%5Fpo/104-7305445-2996768

A total cheese fest of sci-fi.  I love it!

Yaddo42
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2004, 08:42:49 AM »

But then no one will have a reason to watch the occasional weekday rerun marathons on SciFi ever again.

I loved it as a kid (I had low standards as a kid, hell, I even though "Krull" was a great movie at the time), hated it in reruns later on, hated it even more when we got SciFi on local cable years later and it was on every day. But watching it now every once in a while in small doses, it's a nostalgic guilty pleasure. I enjoy the hoakiness of the plots, the creakiness of the acting (Shatner may be an egotistical, showy ham, but Gil Gerard is closer to petrified wood), the large number of "name" guest stars (Wasn't the early 80s about the time the European film industry went into decline?). It's actually a lot closer to old serials and comic strips than I would have thought. And as a sidenote the show is worth watching for soemthing else: hot women in tight shiny clothes with big 80s hair. I gotta get out more.

I still hate Twiggy though, cute kids, smart ass robots, and comic relief are pet peeves of mine in scifi shows.
Mr. Hockstatter
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2004, 12:21:52 PM »

I guess you're not the only one who doesn't get out enough - that's the main reason I watched the show!  It was a bizarre juxtaposition of total cornball storylines (remember the ep's with Gary Coleman?) and hot women in spandex.  I'll never forget that upskirt shot of Erin Gray - on what was basically a kid's show.  

Ah, it had it all.  Gil Gerard doing his 25th century karate moves was always worth a chuckle.  And how about when Princess Ardala came for a state visit to earth and they had some roller disco dancers perform for her?  By season two there really wasn't anything left of the show but the women in spandex.  And Erin in her little sailor uniform.

If you look at the larger picture of the DVD box, it actually says "The complete, epic series".  Probably the first time "epic" has been used in relation to that show.

Oh man, the show was so cheesy you could put it in a fondu pot and dip your  tortilla chips in it.
raj
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004, 12:37:31 PM »

Twiggy is the reason God invented croquet mallets.  One swing, that's all I ask.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2004, 01:38:41 PM »

Interestingly, the actor who played the body of Twiki also played Cousin Itt in the Adams Family TV show and Lucifer in the Battlestar Galactica series.

Twiki's voice was done by Mel Blanc

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2004, 02:24:17 PM »

The only thing Gil Gerard had going for him was being married to Connie Sellecca. Gil is right up there with Johnathan Frakes on the animated 2x4 scale.

The two hour pilot for this was actually released at theatres. I saw it at the one in my home town.

I really found the show rather silly and boring at times.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2004, 02:42:20 PM »

At my age, I loved it :)

=======================
odinn7

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2004, 02:44:23 PM »

I was a kid when this show was on but I had my reasons to watch it (and they've been mentioned already): Erin Gray, Pamela Hensley, spandex clad women. I understood that the show wasn't all that good. At that age, however, I was able to watch me some hot women while the parents thought I was watching a poorly made tv show.  Same reason I used to watch Wonder Woman.

Conquer me Princess Ardala, and when you're done, tell Wilma Deering to rescue me...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
raj

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2004, 03:11:25 PM »

You're not alone.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2004, 03:28:42 PM »

I must be a bit younger because I don't remember thinking along those lines when the show was on...

=======================
DARKWOLF
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2004, 05:53:53 PM »

I also agreed on what you said odinn7 that show had very women in spandex like Erin Gray and Pamela Hensley(still very hot starring on Matt Huston) also the voluptuous female guest stars like Markie Post and soap opera actress Nancy Frangione. This is still one of my favroite shows I remember when I was five in October a month after it came on my parents bought me The Buck Rodgers costume for Holloween that was good year in 1979. But the sad part is that I stupidly sold it in my parents garage sale.
peter johnson
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2004, 06:40:20 PM »

I was one of the ones who saw it on the Big Screen as a theatrical release before it went to TV.  Good lawd . . .
Anyone see Daffy Duck in "Duck Dodgers in the 241/2 Century", with Porky Pig as his sidekick?  Unbelievably good!:  The exact opposite of the TV show . ..
peter johnson/denny crane
kriegerg69
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2004, 11:49:02 PM »

1. It's BUCK ROGERS, not BUCK RODGERS. No "D" in the name.

2. The robot was Twiki....."Twiggy" was a skinny model back in the 70's.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Mein Führer! I can walk!!"
kriegerg69
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2004, 11:50:20 PM »

Fearless Freep wrote:

> Interestingly, the actor who played the body of Twiki also
> played Cousin Itt in the Adams Family TV show and Lucifer in
> the Battlestar Galactica series.

That would be Felix Silla.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Mein Führer! I can walk!!"
Yaddo42
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2004, 03:57:11 AM »

Thanks for the correction on the name, but honestly when I see the reruns it sounds like everyone is saying "Twiggy".

What's sad I can remember the kids in my class in school talking about the show, and how we all thought Hawk was cool. Now I see that he looks like Bowser from Sha Na Na in a really lame bird costume.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Buck Rodgers in the 25th Century coming to DVD « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.