Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:41:24 PM
713370 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Speaking of BRAINDEAD, grrrr « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Speaking of BRAINDEAD, grrrr  (Read 3157 times)
Chadzilla
« on: October 17, 2001, 07:46:19 PM »

Saw this via Drudge....
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertainment/film/newsid_1604000/1604151.stm

Oh please.

I mean I knew this would happen but knowing it doesn't make it anymore insulting.
AndyC
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2001, 09:14:09 PM »

It's tough to say exactly what I think of that.

I would like to think that at least mainstream filmmakers are going to be more sensitive about the kind of violence they show, and the context in which they show it. I also think that there are some people who can't appreciate a movie that isn't full of explosions. More attention should be paid to plot and characters in a lot of movies. I also tend to agree that violent imagery must have some effect on the people who watch a lot of it, especially children. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy good action or horror, or that it doesn't have a place in the movies. A little common sense is all that's needed.

Frankly, Altman is nuts.

By the tone of his comments, and his choice of words, it sounds like he is simply using this disaster as a convenient excuse to push his snobby opinions on everyone.

He's also completely out to lunch if he thinks anyone could have pulled off the Sept. 11 attack using movies as an instruction manual. Why even have military schools? Watching action movies will tell you anything you need to know to mount a successful attack.

I can just see bin Laden in a theatre going "A bomb... hmmm... of course! Why didn't I think of that?"

It also occurred to me that Ghengis Khan, Vlad the Impaler and a lot of other historic loonies must have been incredibly talented to have figured out how to commit atrocities before the invention of motion pictures.
AndyC
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2001, 09:41:15 PM »

I wonder how MASH fits into Altman's idea of "grown up" entertainment.

It's a great movie, and I own a copy of it, but if you take out all of the humour based on sex, drinking, racial slurs and humiliating others, you're not left with much.

This is apparently a guide for good living.
Mofo Rising
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2001, 12:30:18 AM »

Nah, doesn't mean anything.  It just means Robert Altman is now officially a cranky old man.  If it hadn't been him, it would have been Andy Rooney or some other ass.

It just means that he's somebody that everybody pays attention to, but nobody actually follows their advice.  You know, like the Pope.

Hmmm, Altman's made some movies I've really liked, although the quality of his work is wildly uneven.  I don't suppose I'll hold this against him.  Orson Scott Card is The Man when it comes to writing books, but I don't think I'll subscribe to any of his personal views.

(Sorry if I offended with that Pope line.  Blame John Stewart.)
chili
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2001, 12:56:29 PM »

(IMO) it's just an attempt at self promotion - any publicity you can get in the movie business is good for the wallet.

chili
Will
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2001, 01:15:06 PM »

Yeah, this is surprising and sad....
I suppose Altman's not the radical visionary we thought he was.  He is, obviously, using the disaster to push his own "character based" film.  Gosh, I hope it's not about someone who poisons someone else, like in his awful "Cookie's Fortune."  It might give someone ideas.  Books, music, film, paintings, photography, all art forms have depicted violence.  His statements are ridiculous.  Hollywood didn't cause the attacks.  A combination of radical religious fervor and bulls**t US global economic policies caused the attacks.

I do think being inundated with certain images affects people to some degree.  But I'll say this.  I've seen at least 1000 of the grossest, most violent and sadistic films ever made.  And the first time I saw a real dead body, I cried like a baby.  Yes, I value human life even as I enjoy films that depict the most violent of bodily violations.

The stories cultures tell, even crassly made movies pandering to the lowest common denominator motivated by profit, must be protected.  Freedom is freedom, baby.  If we can't say what we want, what country are we?
Chris K.
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2001, 04:41:48 PM »

I remember discussing a similar topic of this sort in the"Sept 11 kills Die Hard" forum in which a journalist blamed films for the terrorist attack. So the title BRAINDEAD not only works on a horror/comedy, but it can also refer to dumb people with no logic (in this case, Altman is the prime example). As I said it before and I will say it again, it's the people, and not the entertainment business, that use their own thoughts for the meaning of good and bad. That and the fact that Osama bin Ladin cannot get American TV or film imported to his country at all so how can he be influnced? The guy just has issues, nothing connected to the entertainment industry.

But now after this horrific event, I'm sure everybody is throwing logic and common sense out the window. What next, the Bible is going to have the Cain and Abel murder event edited out for "censorship and content"! Now if that happens, then the whole world is just gona flush down the toliet!
Greywizard, The Unknown Movies
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2001, 05:55:31 PM »

Whenever I've read an interviewin the past few years involving Altman, he always uses the opportunity to take a swipe at Hollywood's pratices and/or to complain that they won't let him make the movies he wants.

Strangely, he's quite silent about the fact that when the big studios have given him creative control, the results have usually been disappointing at the box office - some examples include MCCABE AND MRS. MILLER, BREWSTER MCCLOUD, NASHVILLE (made money, but fell way short of Pauline Kael's famous prediction that it would go "through the roof"), QUINTET, O.C. AND STIGGS, etc. etc.

Altman doesn't seem to want to admit that the kind of movies he likes to make just aren't mass audience films. Occasionally he gives a hint that he does realize the true economics of the film industry, like in one interview where he said, "You get tired of going down to the corner and selling your paintings for a dollar."
Flangepart
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2001, 11:23:32 AM »

Good point, Chris K. The way you feel about a story afterwards, depends a lot on what you bring to it. Right now, in the Library i'm typing this in, are books....lots of books!.....and i only have time to read less then a hand full. I pick the ones that fit my personal tastes, and give them a priview by reading the first few pages...if it don't grab me, i don't read it. But, that Grab is made possable by how the writers content blends with my preferances and bias and comfort level. Anyway...you brought up a thought. Someone wrote a book called "The x rated Bible". Never read it, so can't comment specificly, but the idea, if it was to show biblical contridictions, failed, because it missed the point of what is in the Bible. As per viloence, the Bible presents , for the most part, minimal data on combat and such, and just tells you enough to get the flow of events across, with out makeing ,say, the fall of Jerico, a "Tabloid Event". When , In the Book of Judges, it tells the story of the unfortunite Concubine, who ended up cut in twelve piece and a piece sent to each tribe of Israel, its there, to show how horrid things had become, how inhumane people had become. Its to show what had gone Wrong. All nasty events so depicted are there because...they signs of Evil. Remember the Admonition to "Do to others, as you would like them to do to you?". Think about it. Has Osama there by said, "Hey, fly an airliner into any building I'M in?"...essenchualy, yes! As for the story of Cain and Able....Cain might make for "Good action tails"....but if picking an actual next door neighbor...i'll pick Able!
Jay O'Connor
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2001, 11:28:55 AM »

How many anti-American terrorist masterminds living in caves in Afghanistan watch Hollywood movies?
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Speaking of BRAINDEAD, grrrr « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.