Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:58:08 PM
713353 Posts in 53057 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What Does This Mean? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What Does This Mean?  (Read 2352 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: September 18, 2004, 02:27:37 AM »

Every now & then I hear the phrase, "He's chewing scenery."

I think I have a pretty good idea of what it means but I figured I'd ask you great and eminent movie junkies.

When an actor or actress is referred to as "chewing scenery"....what does that actually mean?

A proper definition if you please.

Another definition I wanted to ask is this:
What does "tongue in cheek" mean?

Like the other phrase, I feel I have a pretty good idea as to what it means...I just want to hear it from you all.

Always get a second opinion I say.

Post Edited (09-18-04 02:31)
Derf
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2004, 10:35:59 AM »

I can't give you a formal definition of "chewing scenery"; my definition would only be a guess. "Tongue in cheek" means to speak ironically, exaggerating in a facetious manner. It refers to the (apparently now long-gone) mannerism where when a person said something ridiculous (in response to a stupid question or something like it) and then stuck his tongue into his cheek (making a visible lump in the cheek) to show that he was being facetious (or maybe to bite his tongue a bit to keep from laughing). If this is too much definition, excuse me; I'm an English teacher and it kind of comes naturally...

peter johnson
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2004, 12:38:45 PM »

"Chewing Scenery" is one of those great phrases from classical theatre.  Whenever an actor is called upon to do a great scene of great histrionics -- think "Medea" or "King Lear"'s mad scene -- he would/will sometimes go into a post-verbal state wherein he or she will go gutteral & wild & growl & bite & froth at the mouth.  During this episode, it's not uncommon to see the (over)actor attack the furniture or the drapes or whatever whilst in his/her fit.  The term has come to simply mean "general overacting" or generally overdoing it, though you can see specific instances of it in otherwise good performances:  "Well, the play was pretty good, but boy-howdy, did he chew the scenery in the bedroom confrontation scene!".
My wife & my fave example on film is Oliver Reed in Hammer's otherwise great little black & white low-budget thriller, "Paranoiac".  There is a scene near the end wherein Reed is flipping out & he literally grabs ahold of a curtain & pops in in his mouth & shakes his head, growling like a pitbull.  Now if that ain't "chewing the scenery", I don't know what is!!
peter johnson/denny crane
Fearless Freep

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2004, 01:16:22 PM »

You see it often in "B" movies in places where otherwise good actors that are much better than that movie will either be so dominating in their screen-presence or just plain overact that they overwhelm the environment.  They seem to know that the movie is stupid so they don't take it, or themselves, too seriously.

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2004, 08:15:12 PM »

Watch Star Trek TOS and  you will see lots of scenery chewing especially from Shatner and Doohan.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
peter johnson
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2004, 11:33:24 PM »

Oh, William Shatner is my scenery chewing GOD!, don't you know --  This is why I sign off "peter johnson/denny crane" -- have you seen Shatner playing Denny Crane in the new TV Practice offshoot show?  I think it's called The Firm, or something equally boring -- all I know is Mr. Chewy gets to work it, baby, work it!!
Oliver Reed still gets a special award for his work in this area, however . . .
I believe it was John Guielgud speaking of Laurence Olivier who said:  "He had a way of popping a piece of scenery in his mouth and take his time, chewing thoughtfully and slowly . . . ".
I think Mr. Freep raises a whole 'nother issue here, when he speaks of an actor better than his material dominating an otherwise poor film.  True scenery chewing is best defined as "inappropriate, over-the-top histrionics" to the degree that it approches bad acting, not good acting.  A real over-reaction, like someone shrieking and rending their clothes over getting a parking ticket.  I'm thinking of the "Dirty Fork" sketch in Monty Python.

Yaddo42
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2004, 03:03:41 PM »

Although not  literal versions of "chewing the scenery", the examples that usually come to my mind are many of Al Pacino's performances in films, especially since the early 90s. LIke whenever he has a speech or monologue where he does his usual "shout & pout, rant & rave" style of acting. Look at parts of "Scent of a Woman", some of the more annoying scenes in "Any Given Sunday", or his whole performance in "The Devil's Adovate". As great an actor as Pacino can be, he needs to be reminded that "less is more" can apply to his antics as well.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2004, 04:41:15 PM »

I was wondering about the Denny Crane reference.  I never really watched the Practice, but I caught Shatner in a scene in the judge's chambers where he asks to speak off the record and call the opposing lawyers dumb bastards then proceeds to brow beat them into a settlemen.  He won an Emmy for the part.

I love Shatner.  After decades of being dissed as a bad actor, the guy ran with it and its laughing all the way to the bank.  If he ain't got talent , then he's fooling the hell out of a lot ot people.

If he is your God, then you need to join his church.  First Church of Shatnerology

Be sure to check out all the reasons Kirk is a better captain than Picard.

Post Edited (09-19-04 17:31)

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
peter johnson
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2004, 09:15:57 PM »

Thankyou for the Shatnerology tip!
No, he's not my literal God, just my God of Scenery Chewing.  I do like his work in the old Twilight Zones, before he patented his delivery style.  I do think he's really doing an excellent job as that lawyer -- very very very funny!!
I love the Pacino comments/observations.  Yes, Pacino is an excellent contemporary example of the term.
'"WHAT DO YOU MEAN, LESS IS MORE?!?!?  AAAAAARRCCH!!!"
Ed
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2004, 10:48:06 PM »

Another of my interests, word origins...
the inestimable Evan Morris, gives a nice decription of the concept as well as a small history.  
http://www.word-detective.com/111703.html#chewthescenery
Browse the site, its a great read
http://www.word-detective.com/backidx.html
-Ed
p.s. I am in no way affiliated with Mr. Morris or his fine products.
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2004, 11:59:18 PM »

Many royal figures in history are famous for having tantrums and falling on the ground growling and eating the straw on the floor.  The English were particularly fond of this.
Another great example is in the short film adaptation of Kate Chopin's "Story of an Hour."  The name of the film escapes me, but when the woman learns her husband is dead, she runs into the garden, falls on the ground flailing, and starts eating the plants.  Her grief is absolutely hilarious

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2004, 11:04:03 AM »

"Scenery chewing." Two words: Vincent Price. Check out his role as Dr. Phibes in "The Abominable Dr. Phibes" and its sequel "Dr. Phibes Rises Again." Both of which are reviewed at this site. But, he probably tops both of them in scenery chewing, in his role as Edward Lionheart in "Theater of Blood."

"Scenery chewing." Not necesarily a bad thing, if one is in the mood for it,, as any number of dull films have been . . . by a little "scenery chewing."

peter johnson
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2004, 06:45:51 PM »

"Theatre of Blood", most definitely a chewin' good time!!  "Phibes" less so -- he actually plays his role with some restraint, plus he can't visibly speak, so that lowers the chew quotient right there.  I love both, by the way . . .
For a real over-the-top chew-fest from Price, catch his Mad Scene in the little-seen "Dragonwyk", when he goes bonkers and sits in the middle of the highway in his easy chair, going "Tribute!   Tribute!".  Or when he takes LSD in "The Tingler" -- also a fave rave film o' my heart!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What Does This Mean? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.