Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:34:20 AM
714325 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What if...... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What if......  (Read 3598 times)
loyal1
« on: September 20, 2004, 12:29:57 AM »

Jesus was an alien and the "real" wars going on are not between "angels" of good and evil, but of aliens?   What if Jesus was one of the "good" aliens that came down to protect us and to provide morals and structure that exist with higher life forms?

What if all the profits of all religions were aliens, some more evolved than others.   What if the "evil" aliens took on the form of people such as Hitler? Would this explain all the contridictions of scriptures?   Perhaps they are only guiding or stepping stones to the laws of the universe as we could only understand it at the time, and will prevent us from learning that which we cannot grasp in our fragile human minds.

And what of "God"  Could we say that he is the all of everything, the "good" AND "bad" (which it's definition changes as we change)  So this could explain all the contridictions of us placing good in the image of man?  For he could be the image of all and everything?

Hmmmmm, just a thought I had.  :)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 01:17:26 AM »

What if I think you smoked some really good reefer before you wrote this thread?

Honestly, you sound like Jim Breuer's character in "Half Baked".

Post Edited (09-20-04 01:37)
loyal1
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 02:28:34 AM »

Naw, no refer here...just an active imagination.  Nothing wrong with that is there?  Perhaps that is why I feel a need to create in any form I can.
odinn7

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 08:53:04 AM »

I'm partially into the alien/ufo thing though I usually do not discuss it. Aside from the fact that it sounds like Ash has you pegged on this thread for smoking something before writing, there is a theory among some alien consiracy people. It has been mentioned that the aliens gave us god and religion for numerous reasons (depends on who you listen to) which means that basically Jesus and all were made up by the aliens.  There are some odd theories out there, some worse than this.

The truth is out there

I want to believe

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 11:53:24 AM »

Surprisingly, it's a plot point that comes up every now and then.  I think there was an aside to it in John Carpenter's PRINCE OF DARKNESS.

Of course you could always look up the master of religious paranoia, Philip K. Dick.  Especially The Divine Invasion, probably my favorite of his "gnostic" novels.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Mr. Briggs inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 03:29:49 PM »

Wow . That would make a good movie.
Drezzy Mac
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2004, 09:45:21 PM »

Sounds like a good idea for a b-movie.

**steals it**
Dave Munger
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2004, 09:55:17 PM »

Angels are necessarily extraterrestreals, by any reasonable definition of either term.  A lot of the apparent contradictions of Scripture do come from torturing it into appearing to not to explicitly say lots of stuff about space aliens. It dosen't seem to have any contradictions to people who believe what it actually says. The beggining of Genesis chapter 6 is a pretty popular example. The interpretation that avoids the obvious there is called the Sethite interpretation, I don't want to go into it now, but it's pretty ridiculous.
loyal1
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2004, 11:15:24 PM »

I've written one screenplay(never did anything with it), but perhaps this could be another challenge to tackle on?  Oddly enough I have been more into investigating further into religion and theories as of late.  I'll let you know if I do anything with the idea. :)
Derf
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2004, 09:31:41 AM »

I realize the fun of "what ifs" and don't have any particular problems with them. I do it quite often myself. However, that being said, I can't see much validity in this topic outside of a bad movie plot. I have become cautious of expressing any religious views on this board as my last one was taken off (and that was just a criticism of the theological (in)accuracy of "The Last Temptation of Christ"). I locked onto one thing you said, though, that I felt I should address: the idea of contradictions in the Scriptures. I've read and reread the Bible many times over the last 20+ years, using different translations, different study techniques, etc., and I simply haven't found any of these horrible "contradictions" people keep talking about. Dave Munger talks about the convoluted logic of the Sethian interpretations of Genesis, but that isn't a contradiction in the Scriptures; it's a sample of contradictory interpretations where our information is incomplete. Most of the time when people say to me that the Bible is full of contradictions, they cannot give me any specific examples; it is simply easier to dismiss the validity of Biblical teachings if they can be labelled as "contradictory." I am not a historian, and so I cannot speak on all the historical references of the Bible. I look more to the lessons concerning the character of God and the moral teachings of how we should treat one another. In these teachings, I have yet to find any contradictions. I have indeed found some VERY difficult lessons, but none that are contradictory. God is a more complex being than we can possibly imagine; therefore, is it so difficult to believe that some of the things that on our level may seem a bit strange may indeed be perfectly logical on God's level?

Dave Munger
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2004, 04:46:44 PM »

Derf: That's kind of what I'm saying. The contradictions aren't present in the text itself, they're read into it for one reason or another. One reason is that European Christendom never went through a coversion experience; the job of their theologans from day one was to "reconcile" scripture with what they thought they already knew (writtings of Aristotle in particular). Instead of replacing the old, Christianity was added to the old way, like Hindus who believe in Jesus. Another reason is that the Bible contradicts conventional religiousity (which is never essentially different from ancient Egyptian idolatrous magic, IMHO), so it CAN'T possibly mean what it says. That would contradict what we already decided it said before we read it! And of course, the part about angels interbreeding with humans must really have some "spiritual" meaning, because we decided, asside from anything the Bible says, that they're "spiritual" beings, which essentially deprives them of every characteristic of objective existence.

The most famous example of a supposed contradiction that I can think of is the idea that the first and second chapters of Genesis contradict. To the reader without a chip on his shoulder, they appear to merely cover the same ground from a different perspective and with different emphases. I can't think of any other book that's considered to be self-contradictory when it does this. It's only contradictory if you really want it to be.

I'm going to try and post here again later, and stay closer to the original topic.
Drezzy Mac
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2004, 09:26:28 PM »

Isn't parts of Genesis contradictory? I forget where I read it or saw it, but there were pieces of the King James version of the Bible that contradicted themselves completely in Genesis, particularly Adam and Eve. I'm no theological scholar, and I really don't care much for religion myself on a personal level (it's not the beliefs, is those that hold the beliefs), but I do believe there are certain contradictions of the Bible.

That said, it's most likely due to the vast majority of the Old Testament being summaries and embellished stories of possible actual events (Noah's Ark being the biggest example, seeing as how it is actually impossible to have found one male and one female from every species on the planet, but it is entirely possible for a man and his wife to have built a ship to escape a flood in the area of the world where it takes place, as that area was known heavily for ancient floods).

But hey...who's up for ice cream?
Kory
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2004, 10:32:30 PM »

Very well put, Derf.  I was pondering asking the same question (what contradictions?), but you beat me to it--- much more eloquently than I would have, I must say.
loyal1
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2004, 10:56:58 PM »

It is a very long list AND it does not even come close to interpreting the inconsistancies the scriptures hold with science and history.  Religion has also changed much because of science and progress.  I took a world religion class once and it was write an eye opener.  I will come back with more links on those too.

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/donald_morgan/inconsistencies.shtml

Derf
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2004, 01:00:41 PM »

I took a look at that list. My first comment would be the same thing I tell my students as we begin our research projects every semester: when you find source material, you have to evaluate that source to determine whether it is one worth using (in short, "consider the source...").

The introduction to the list says, "These lists are meant to identify possible problems in the Bible, especially problems which are inherent in a literalist or fundamentalist interpretation. Some of the selections may be resolvable on certain interpretations--after all, almost any problem can be eliminated with suitable rationalizations--but it is the reader's obligation to test this possibility and to decide whether it really makes appropriate sense to do this. To help readers in this task, these lists are aimed at presenting examples where problems may exist given certain allowable (but not always obligatory) assumptions. It should be kept in mind that a perfect and omnipotent God could, should, and likely would see to it that such problems did not exist in a book which s/he had inspired." This sets an antagonistic tone from the start. At the very least, those pointing out these "inconsistencies" look at the Bible in a very condescending manner. That in itself precludes any real objectivity in assembling this list. Condescension also breeds carelessness in research; if you start out thinking that a book is worthless, you will not be particularly careful in reading it. This carelessness is painfully obvious in the portion of the list I managed to get through before becoming too frustrated to continue (I will continue through the list in short sessions as I am able). Fully half of the "inconsistencies" are simple misreadings. Others take statements out of context and compare them to other out-of-context statements. The compiler claims to make no interpretations, but he interjects snide comments throughout.

I am not saying that the Bible is without seeming contradictions (the key word being "seeming"), but to simply accept the authority of someone who starts out with an antagonistic attitude toward the source material is simply poor scholarship. As for religion changing with new scientific discoveries, I can only say OF COURSE religion changes to a degree with societal changes. The basic tenets of morality, however, do not change. Occasionally they are temporarily corrupted by hypocrites and poor teachers, but ultimately, they return to true because they are True. Do I expect you to simply accept my word as authoritative? No. I realize I have no more credibility in your eyes than you have in mine. Does that list make a few good points? Undoubtedly. Does that mean the Bible is false because a perfect God would never allow inconsistencies in His perfect book? No, because God has always worked through people, and guess what? PEOPLE AREN'T PERFECT. God doesn't remove our personalities and make us automatons; He works through our imperfections to do whatever He might be trying to do.

Since this is not the ideal forum for religious discussions, I'm not sure I will continue posting on this particular topic. I am much more of a lurker than a poster. Sometimes, though, a topic hits me that I feel I really need to chime in on. I also realize I can be quite long-winded when I get wound up. Like now.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What if...... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.