Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:08:30 PM
714379 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Accidental movie viewing....Vanishing Point...update 9/25, Hey Scott! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Accidental movie viewing....Vanishing Point...update 9/25, Hey Scott!  (Read 2422 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: September 23, 2004, 07:19:56 PM »

I was trying to tune in the five o'clock news and the local stations were down on the satellite, so I was perusing the program guide  and lo and behold there was Vanishing Point  on the Fox Movie Channel.

I hadn't seen this in years and I didn't remember there being that many recognizable faces in it .  Of course I remembered  Barry Newman and Cleavon Little , but  I saw John Amos (the radio station engineer, uncredited),  Paul Koslo (his weasely self playing a cop),  Dean Jagger (old coot hunting rattlesnakes), Timothy Scott (Pea Eye from Lonesome Dove as a hippy biker, perfect casting), and Rita Coolidge singing with Delaney and Bonnie as the J. Hovah singers.

I told my wife that if they remade this now, they would definitely change the ending. Kowalski would somehow jump out of the car before it hits and disappear from the law and live happily ever after with the naked bike rider chick.. We can't have downer endings anymore, however, this one was not a downer because you know the guy is finally at peace.

Got to love those 70's flicks.

Post Edited (09-25-04 17:48)

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 07:55:42 PM »

trek_geezer:

They DID remake this movie.  I believe it was made for cable . . . USA Network or something.  The remake isn't very good, and I believe it does have an ending that sort of leads you to believe that Kawalski survived . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 08:28:25 PM »

Oh !  I missed it. Been wanting to see this one. Anyone know if its coming on again give me a movie alert. Thanks.

Yaddo42
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004, 06:09:15 AM »

I've seen about half of the remake. It's is even worse than the Burgomaster suggested. They give Kowalski a first name, a reason for his drive with a goal (something to do with his wife being in labor far away), and they do imply that he somehow lived and is a mythic figure who has reunited with the daughter (I think the mother dies in childbirth). What makes it so cheesy is that the they do the old matinee serial trick of filming a seperate version of the same scene only this time with him bailing out claiming everyone was too distracted by the oncoming car to notice him rolling away, even though you could see he didn't the first time they show it.

Neat cast for the most part though Viggo Mortensen, Steve Railsback, Keith David, Peta Wilson, with one great big clunker - Jason Priestley as The Voice. Doesn't come close to Clevon Little as Super Soul.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2004, 07:07:19 AM »

Vanishing Point is one of my favorite flicks to come out of the 70s.  

I love the fact that all we get is a single named hero, a hot car, some drugs, car chases and very little dialogue.  It's classic stuff.

I've never seen the remake, and I hope to never see it.  The ending to the original Vanishing Point fits the overall tone of the film perfectly.  Great movie.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Yaddo42
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2004, 07:46:38 AM »

I usually describe it as "hypnotic" to people, I know that it really isn't that "deep", but it still pulls me in whenever I watch it.

I've got a buddy that I hang out with and we watch movies on his big theater system sometimes. Since he's into cars and working on them as a hobby, I've been introducing him to old car and car chase films. I told him next time I'd bring "Vanishing Point", since it's much better I figure it'll make up for us watching (well, sitting through)  the original "Gone in 60 Seconds". I gave my copy to him since he has the remake, maybe he'll inflict both versions on others when they come visit.
trekgeezer

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2004, 05:50:58 PM »

Vanishing Point will be back on the Fox  Movie Channel :

11/07/04  at  4:01pm Eastern
11/08/04  at  6:01am Eastern

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2004, 07:20:37 AM »

The first time I saw VANISHING POINT was at the drive-in back in the 1970s.  It was part of a double feature with DIRTY MARY, CRAZY LARRY.  Two of the greatest car chase movies ever made!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2004, 04:18:42 PM »

Thanks Trek Geezer for the update film alert and even though I haven't seen VANISHING POINT I know it would be a great  double feature with DIRTY MARY, CRAZY HARRY Burgomaster.

Yaddo42
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2004, 08:22:24 AM »

It would also make a good double feature with "Two-Lane Blacktop" starring Warren Oates, James Taylor, and Dennis Wilson. Another "deep" car film with the themes about individualism through driving, the "freedom" of the road, and nihilism. I liked it less than VP, but could see why people latched on to it.
trekgeezer

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2004, 09:04:22 AM »

I think I saw this at the drive in also. The 60's an early 70's were a strange time and films like VP tend show a little of that.  Kawolski was lost like a lot of guys that served in the Nam and came back and nothing made sense to them anymore.  This was a recurring theme in movies all through the 70's. Taxi Driver  is of the same vein.

It 's funny that the war was constantly the theme in movies, but in the real world everyone wanted to get drunk or high, and have sex with anyone that was willing. Films were a constant reminder of everything people were trying like hell to forget.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Accidental movie viewing....Vanishing Point...update 9/25, Hey Scott! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.