Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:03:32 AM
714232 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Star Wars TV series....What do you think? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Star Wars TV series....What do you think?  (Read 5820 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: September 30, 2004, 08:18:29 AM »

Looks like this is a real possibility. We know the premise, but when should it take place?

Can you see Mark Hamil as old wisened Jedi Master Luke?

I think it would be a good way to flesh out some of the societies represented in the movies.

Could Kevin Smith pull it off?

Star Wars TV Series

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 08:20:53 AM »

I think anything having to do with the Jedi Academy would be cool.
It would definitely appeal to younger veiwers.
daveblackeye15

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 09:08:40 AM »

It would work very well if we just FOCUS ON THE STORY! And also put some effort in this thing called CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT and try and also try and restrain ourselves from using CGI FOR EVERY FRIGGIN' THING! If they can do all that then the show can be great.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2004, 09:17:59 AM »

Two words:

Droids. Ewoks.

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2004, 09:37:42 AM »

Vermin Boy wrote:

> Two words:
>
> Droids. Ewoks.
>

STAR WARS HOLIDAY SPECIAL...[shudder]...and nary a CGI creation in sight.
trekgeezer

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2004, 09:51:44 AM »

The only way they could afford to do it is using extensive CGI at least for ships and other vehicles. I doubt the budget would let them have any believable CGI characters.

nobody
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2004, 11:06:57 AM »

Lucas is a multi-zillionaire- and he's always finding "new" ways to make more money. (i.e. How many of you guys bought the latest boxed trilogy of Star Wars for $60+?) The entire show could be CGI and his wallet wouldn't even feel it.
Yaddo42
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2004, 12:09:18 PM »

I'd settle for an expanded version of the animated "Clone Wars" series rather than those two minute serial segments. Even when they air back to back, like I caught part of on Cartoon Network this past Saturday, the choppy nature of that kind of pacing got on my nerves. But it was great looking, and made me want to see more.

I read the AP story where Lucas mentioned the idea of a TV series without his direct involvement. This interested me if nothing else just because the idea of screenwriters who know something about plotting, characterization, and believable dialogue might have to be called in. I just wonder what time setting he would place it in. I haven't read any of the novels in years (never warmed to them very much), so I have no idea about what is good or bad in the Extended Universe and if any of it could be mined for material.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2004, 12:29:37 PM »

"Character Development" is the last thing a Star Wars TV Series needs.  "Character Development" is a euphemism for "soap opera" and a soap opera masquerading as a sci-fi show is not a good idea.

Think about the original Star Wars, or the original Star Trek TV series for that matter.  Both were a lot of fun  and neither really had 'character development'.  They took basic personalities and watched those presonalities interact with various interesting events and settings; character development wasn't really needed.

I'm not against character development per-se but it seems to often that it's a copout by the writer because they learned how to write soap operas in school and writing good sci-fi in space requires a lot of personal creativity which is harder to find so you end up with soap operas in space.  It should be the events drives the development iof the character rather than the desire to develop the character dictates the story, but that requires coming up with good events, which is a lot harder to do, so you end up with lackluster stories trying to drive the development of 'character'

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2004, 01:18:49 PM »

Well said. In this type of story, characters are what they do.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
ED
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2004, 02:06:39 PM »

Dave, I agree.  There is much room for story, and you don't HAVE to let CGI carry the whole show.  
-Ed
trekgeezer

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2004, 02:26:45 PM »

Character development  does not necessarily mean 'soap opera'. Meeting Spocks folks was character development, so was the story where he went into heat and had to go back to Vulcan or die. Finding out Vader was Luke's father is character development.

Any kind of backstory or a character revealing something about their past is character development.  Hell, just  establishing that someone is a badass by their actions is.

Characters  can't exist in a vacuum, real people don't.  When something bad happens to somebody it changes them for the better or worse.  I surely don't want cardboard cut outs that you don't give a s**t about.. If you don't care about them , you don't care what  happens to them or what they do and that equals boring, no matter how many space battles and light saber duels take place..

I don't want to see it be  Dawson's Creek in space, but I also don't want the big reset button pushed every week and eveything that has happened prior to this week's episode is rendered meaningless.

Prophet Tenebrae
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2004, 07:04:21 PM »

Jeez, people who say character development leads to space opera are the kind of people who thought Voyager was a good show.

A Star Wars tv show... well, I scarcely think given the prequels that it could massacre the franchise much more. Although I hear New Jedi Order tries very hard with each new book realised.

Anyway, bottom line for me is that it wouldn't have the budget (because I'm guessing that Lucas isn't going to go "oh, here have a $100 million to make a decent tv series," because he just rubber stamps things so he can get more money - who knows what that chubby bastard spends it on). Even if it did, it would probably be weak.

It would be nice if it was a great show or something but really, the fanboys all probably just want Luke and Mara Jade. If it was based on KOTOR, it could be awesome.
nobody
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2004, 08:33:04 PM »

You made some great points, Prophet Tenebrae. Even though Lucas is loaded, he probably wouldn't finacially support the TV series (like I said he would)... He'd instead sign his name to the release form and let someone pay him a mountain of money to borrow the Star Wars name.

Aside from KOTOR the game, I'm finished with Star Wars.
...but if the TV show was based on KOTOR, too, I'd have to watch it.
daveblackeye15

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2004, 09:38:42 PM »

I don't want the t.v. show to be like an soap opera but I don't think it's too much to ask for characters that you actually CARE about.

Example: (spoilers to Episode One and Star Wars)

Me when Qui Gon Jen died: Oh man! I'm outta soda!Huh? Oh that old Jedi just died, I guess this fight is almost over.

Me when Obi-Wan died (even to today): (With Luke) NO!

I would like to see a show that expanded the universe and that it would be a continuing story not episodic. It would be cool if an old Luke would show up in a few episodes but other than that I would like to see new characters. And it would be cool if there were no CGI characters ,if the background look well done then I don't mind but I hate CGI characeter (unless they look well done or appear in a complete CGI movie, then it's no problem)

And that's as they say is that.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Star Wars TV series....What do you think? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.