Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:22:46 AM
714200 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Star Wars TV series....What do you think? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Star Wars TV series....What do you think?  (Read 5817 times)
peter johnson
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2004, 10:10:18 PM »

I say leave it alone & let it die --
"Star Wars", the original 2 episodes, had that fairy-tale/mythic quality to it that Joseph Campbell talks about in "The Hero's Journey".  Episode whatever with the Ewoks went to Hell in a handbasket, and the last 2 were even worse.
Lucas has made some amazing technical advances, but hasn't been able to leave well-enough alone.  What the hell is he thinking, for example, having Han Solo "defend himself" now against the Greedo thing in the Wookie bar on the revised box-set -- along with other micro-managing tweaking?  The whole point of him shooting Greedo under the table was to underscore that he was a brigand, a smuggler, and not a nice person.  He becomes heroic through his association with the others on their journey.  If he's a good guy from the get-go, then there's no point.
Anyway, I got off-topic a bit -- but not really.  I think my point is is that I think it would suck suck suck, especially if Lucas was involved because he's proven he has no respect for his own mythology.
peter johnson/denny crane
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2004, 08:56:06 PM »

>I'd settle for an expanded version of the animated "Clone Wars" series rather
>than those two minute serial segments.

They're supposed to be making some more of those, but longer this time.
prozuim88
New Visitor

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2004, 09:01:42 AM »

Let's face it , it's just another lucasfilm cash cow !!!!!!!!!!!!!

If any of the new starwars movies are anything  to go by , I'm personally  not  particularlly bothered .
Sugar_Nads
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2004, 10:19:30 AM »

I think that they need to leave it alone. The last thing we need is some "Hollywood Hack" to screw up yet another perfect franchise.

If they really want to make the show happen, then they should leave all the "fan boys" out and let the greats take the wheel. Irvin Kershner anyone? Nuff said... ; )
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2004, 01:41:35 PM »

I really get tired of hearing people trash George Lucas. He started out in the business to be independent and guess what, he did it. He answers to no one but himself.  He was also smart enough to keep the merchandising rights for his movies when the studio heads were too stupid to see what they represented. Just because he doesn't do things the way you want doesn't constitute free license to bash the guy.

There is a simple way to prevent another  "cash cow" for  George. Quit buying or watching anything associated with Star Wars.  If he wasn't doing something that somebody liked he wouldn't be in a position to keep his "cash cow " going.

This is a little quote from H.G. Wells  I've posted before that fits people who trash others success,  " Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo."

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
nobody
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2004, 11:07:21 PM »

trek_geezer: "I really get tired of hearing people trash George Lucas. He started out in the business to be independent and guess what, he did it. He answers to no one but himself. He was also smart enough to keep the merchandising rights for his movies when the studio heads were too stupid to see what they represented. Just because he doesn't do things the way you want doesn't constitute free license to bash the guy."

What I'm about to say in response to this isn't anything new. I'm sure this point has been made a zillion times on other messageboards... but here it is again, anyway:

Lucas is an artist, right? And "Star Wars" is his art- which he chose to share with the world. So isn't he now open to both praise and criticism from the world?

I choose to criticize the guy, and I think that's my right. I watched his movies, I have opinions of those movies (and of the artist who produced them)... and when I feel like sharing those opinions, who is justified in stopping me?

I used to like Lucas's art, but not anymore- in much the same way I like Michelangelo's "David", but wouldn't like it if Michelangelo came back from the grave and started giving his David extra, unnecessary appendages. Or, if Michelangelo started marketing a massive, embarassing wave of David related trinkets and other assorted apparel, I'd be equally turned off to the entire "David Universe."

trek_geezer: "There is a simple way to prevent another "cash cow" for George. Quit buying or watching anything associated with Star Wars. If he wasn't doing something that somebody liked he wouldn't be in a position to keep his "cash cow " going. "

That's true. Anyone who bashes the guy (at least to the extreme that I do) but still continues to buy the merchandise is an idiot and a hypocrite. I didn't buy the "new" "Star Wars" DVDs. I got rid of all my old "Star Wars" related merchandise and I won't be wasting my money on future "Star Wars" products ever again.***

So, Trek_Geezer, If you don't want to read any Lucas bashing (at least from me), you probably shouldn't read any of my posts in "Star Wars" related threads.

BTW, I'm not trying to start a flame war with you. I just wanted to explain my side of the discussion. We're just at odds about this particular subject, and that's unfortunate.

***I will continue to support the "Star Wars" franchise "Knights of the Old Republic" for Xbox, because the first one was the greatest RPG I've ever played... and YES, that does make me somewhat of an idiot and a hypocrite, but I take pride in knowing that Lucas doesn't have anything to do with that project. ...So say what you will about that. I can't deny that I enjoyed the game immensely.
trekgeezer

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2004, 05:08:31 PM »

I support everyone's rights to their opinions. I just can't see expending the energy getting upset about someone or their art  that I can do nothing about but move on.

And I do admire the guy for reaching his goal of being idependent.  He actually sees the irony of his situation this has landed him in. In a  interview he did state that he had become the thing that he fought against his whole career, the head of a corporation.

The Ghoul
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2004, 02:55:10 PM »

Nobody has mentioned this but I recall the Indiana Jones TV series and it was no great whoop. It was not horrible but I can't recall a thing about it. Does anybody got something good to say about that show? Or the rancid Ewoks Adventures live action TV show?? I recall dancin' teddy bears and a 10 seconds of special F/X. So the track record on a Lucas inspired live action TV series is not there. As for a Star Wars live action TV show stinking up the place? I can't even invision a bomb as huge as the 1978 Thanksgiving Special. Even if I have a fond childhood memory of seeing Boba Fett for the first time in some squirrely 70's TV quality animation by Nelvana. Or for starting my complete and total hatred for anything Bea Arthur. So why now? Maybe to keep the Hasbro machine turning out Star Wars plastic after the curtain falls on the last movie??? I think Kevin Smith is mentioned as a possible director because of his widely known views of NOT likin' Return Of The Jedi. So no Ewoks unless it is to blow their planet up thus hearing a million furry voices silenced. Good luck on that! If it was my choice I'd like to see TROOPS! the TV series.
Mr. Hockstatter
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2004, 10:09:21 PM »

I just can't see expending the energy getting upset about someone or their art that I can do nothing about but move on.

Well, here's the reason.  You spend an hour (at least) getting the kids ready to go to the movie.  You drive 20 minutes, you stand in line for 45 minutes (oh the joy...).  You spend 3 or 4 or 5 hours worth of your paycheck (before taxes) on the movie, the popcorn, the pop and the candy bars.  You sit through a half hour of commercials, the 90 minutes of movie, and the 20 minute drive home.

And the movie freakin' sucks!  Lucas is apparently an egomaniac who's in the middle of - not his second childhood - but his second toddler-hood.  Spending 5 minutes on the net voicing your frustration and displeasure is utterly inconsequential in comparison to the entire evening you've blown on this thing.  We may not be able to "do" anything about it, but this is the only way we can express ourselves to anyone but our immediate circle of friends and family.

My apologies if you think we should just remain silent and mumble softly to ourselves.  :)

But I really have to ask, would this site even exist if every review was favorable?  I mean, criticizing "art" (lol) is such an incomprehensible waste of energy ;)

trekgeezer

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2004, 07:35:00 AM »

The only point I was making is I can't see ranting about something every time it's mentioned.

I love movies and believe me I am disappointed in a quite a lot of what I see these days and I do b***h about some of them, but I have a real life and real problems to deal with.  That's where I put most of my energy .

There are certain actors and directors that I don't like, so I avoid what they do.  I can only judge what they put on the screen and since I don't know them personally I'm surely not going to start ranting and disparaging them every damned time their name is mentioned.

Blow your cork all you want , it's a  free country.  If you want to get an ulcer over a movie,  have at it.

This is not a flame by the way, just stating an opinion.

George
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2004, 07:39:24 AM »

This would have given me real concern 15 years ago.  I think now, however, it would be awesome because of the groundwork laid by the various Star Trek TV series.  I only hope that the TV series stays away from the movie characters and focuses on the expanded universe.
Mr. Hockstatter
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2004, 11:01:13 PM »

No offense - I mean, you seem like a really nice guy, a "kindred spirit" of mine, and I agree with you one most things, but c'mon.  You're the one putting in all the time and energy.  Most people have 1 post each in this thread and you've got 6.

trekgeezer

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2004, 04:51:23 PM »

I know, but what can I say. I do like talking about this stuff and besides it's a good way to practice your grammar.

Hey , that makes seven now doesn't it ?

Flangepart

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2004, 12:05:42 PM »

Hummmm.....
Bablyon 5 worked character changes intom the scripts, and the plots were both shaped by, and shaped, the characters. Mike Garabaldi springs to mind there.

I love the X-Wing series of SW novels. THAT would make a great series! The average guys does the majority of the fighting and dieing...let them have their moment in historys sun shine.
Rogue, and later, Wraith squdrons were full of good characters who could die any minute. If Mike Stackpole does the books, or Michael J. Anderson, i'll give it a chance.

Finaly, what did you guys think of the Clone Wars toon, when run back to back? A bit too styalised, i thought. Did they realy expact them to not be run sequenscialy?

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Sugar_Nads
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2004, 11:00:45 PM »

Ok, you guys are seriously overreacting. I don't get ulcers over petty crap. The fact is... Kevin Smith is just a fan boy with a desire to undertake a phenomenal franchise that he could never possibly begin to comprehend. He should stick to stuffing his face and making "left winged" films. Just my two cents....
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Star Wars TV series....What do you think? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.