Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:17:31 PM
714221 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Star Trek Nemesis « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Star Trek Nemesis  (Read 3773 times)
AlexB
« on: October 01, 2004, 04:13:04 AM »

I just got the video from a bargain bin and I wasn't expecting much, but it turned out to be surprisingly entertaining. OK, it is Star Trek so it has to have certain set piece scenes and conventions. If you don't like those, don't watch the series. It had some pretty obvious plot devices, such as the mind meld and the slowest weapon system in the quadrant. But on the whole, you have a stylish villain, (actually two of them) Picard doing great, lots of running around in corridors shooting laser guns (somebody ought to reinvent the hand grenade) and spectacular ship to ship action. Also, relatively few soul searching conversations or sub plots to hold the action up. What more could you want?

I'm not too certain about the Orcs (oops, Remans), though. For shock troops, they are very bad shots..
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004, 04:31:55 AM »

You'll find that I will probably be the only person here on this board who will agree with you that Star Trek Nemesis was a decent film.

Everybody else here dislikes it.
Be prepared for all types of negative comments and the terrible picking apart of this film.
They will rip apart this movie like cannibals who've just scored a fresh kill.
You watch...

It matters not....what matters is what you & I think.
And we like it!

Post Edited (10-01-04 05:29)
Bheliom
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2004, 05:42:58 AM »

Nope, you´ll find that I as well thought that Nemesis was okay. By far better then First contact wqas anyway ;)

Only downer on Nemesis was the Translated German Version. It sucked quite bad, cuz they screwed up some translations quite bad.

Other then that... the Movie was cool :)

"From the moon, come silver ghosts, spectres of the blood.
From my spirit comes the darkness.
From the void, the crimson fortress rises."
Acidburn
Bad Movie Lover

When I was your age, television was called Books!

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004, 07:36:58 AM »

I liked it very much, but I am a huge star trek fan so I am kind of bias.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The flowers are still standing...
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2004, 07:43:44 AM »

I'm not going to trash it, but I found most the Next Generation films to be quite ho-hum. Well made, but lacking the epic nature of what Star Trek could be. After  ST:TMP was such as disappointment, Paramount  turned the movies over to the TV division and that has always shown in the films.  Just better produced episodes of the show.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2004, 10:26:49 AM »

Well, here is someone else who liked it. I liked the action, especially the ship-on-ship collision in outer space. And I think Ron Perlman is a much underrated actor, especially when he plays the villain, as he does here.

Mr. Hockstatter
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2004, 10:48:53 AM »

As soon as they announced that it would take 7 minutes or whatever for the weapon to charge, the only question was whether it would be blown up at the 6 minute 59 second mark, or maybe 6 minutes 58 seconds.  I'm sort of sick of movies like that with an idiotic villian who could have accomplished his goal about 5 times but due to his being an idiot he let is slip through his grasp each time.  Then tere's some gigantic invisible ship with a gazillion disruptor banks that fires at the Enterprise 100 times, which causes some minor pyrotechnics to go off on the bridge, then the Enterprise hits the gigantic ship with two or three phaser shots and it's all of a sudden nearly out of action.  Yawn.

The book was a whole lot better.  They cut out most of the important elements as far as character motivation and such to make more time for photon torpedoes.

trekgeezer

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2004, 11:11:57 AM »

Still haven't had anyone explain why they detected a positronic signal half way across the galaxy, but they could zero in on it with tricorder from three feet away.  

The whole sequence on the planet where they find  the B4 android is just not Star Trek. It was contrived just so they could get in an action sequence. Who were the aliens shooting at them?

Worf is given nothing to do and they never explain what he's doing back on the Enterprise. At the end of DS9 he was off to be the Federation Ambassador  to the Klingon Empire.  Michael Dorn  actually turned down coming back because Worf was basically just  scenery , until they backed up the money truck.

Berman and Braga have finally given the running of Enterprise over to someone else, so maybe they will get things back on track.

Nemesis was well made, but the story was too contrived and in the end I just didn't care what happened.

Dave Munger
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2004, 05:05:25 PM »

Sometimes Kirk used to set a phaser on "overload" and use it as a grenade.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2004, 07:56:19 AM »

I agree with Trek Geezer's earlier statement. The last two movies especially have come off looking more like dressed up TV episodes. They had a movie budget, but they didn't feel like movies. The stories lacked scope, and I can honestly say I just didn't give a damn about any of the characters, worlds or situations in Insurrection or Nemesis. Just felt like they went scraping around in the unmade episode barrel for scripts.

Post Edited (10-02-04 08:03)

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
AlexB
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2004, 05:01:03 PM »

What Trek Geezer said, is a fair comment. Nemesis is very much a TV episode, with rather better production values. I also agree that Whorf was underused in the movie. He would be the obvious choice to duel with the Orc Chief (sorry, Reman Viceroy). As for the strange fluctuations in technological capacity, where would Star Trek be without them? Many an episode of the Next Generation era would be completely wrecked if there was any technological consistency. Finally, Doomsday weapons are required to have a countdown mechanisms for insurance purposes.

Of course, Nemesis has lots of faults, but I am not saying it is the best film ever. I found it quite fun, mainly for two reasons:
- it had lots of action in it, and none of the remodulating the secondary field generators to compensate for the phase shift in the quadriaxial relay nexus
- it had a great pair of villains. A film like this needs good villains. Look at Van Helsing: it had the most useless Prince of Darkness since Rutger Hauer in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
Mr. Hockstatter
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2004, 07:42:07 PM »

Do you like Enterprise?  Just wondering because everyone seems to detest it, but I think this past season was almost equal to the original Star Trek.  And I'm a huge fan of the original.  I mean, I think Enterprise is quite dramatic, something sorely missing for a long time.  I actually like and care about the characters.  No Wesley Crushers and Janeways here.  It depicts some really desperate situations, and I think it does a good job of it.  And no preaching!  And a story arc!

I'm absolutely astounded when I see the names Berman and Braga associated with it.

Please don't hit me with anything ;)

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2004, 07:11:12 AM »

I agree completely. It has been years since I actually followed a Star Trek series. I watched TNG pretty regularly until the last couple of seasons. DS9 and Voyager never did anything for me. The last season of Enterprise, however, was able to hook me. Made sure I was home every Wednesday to see it. I can't say I've done that for any show in a long time.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Prophet Tenebrae
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2004, 09:04:30 AM »

Enterprise sucked, even the last season which was supposedly good didn't really do anything for me. Could it possibly have been a more thinly veiled metaphor for the war on terror? Not to mention Archer's high horse and his on again off again antics.

I guess it was an improvement on the previous seasons but then, ghout is preferable to leprosy in the same way.
trekgeezer

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2004, 04:58:29 PM »

I might have a different opinion on Nemesis if  I could see what was in the 50 minutes they cut out of it..

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Star Trek Nemesis « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.