Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:21:38 PM
713370 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Wal-Mart cheapo bin findings « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Wal-Mart cheapo bin findings  (Read 2961 times)
Yaddo 42
« on: October 05, 2004, 12:34:02 PM »

While I haven't made the rounds of the local stores with $1 DVD yet, somehow I wonder if we'll get the "good stuff" here, the local Wal-Mart has gotten in a new selection of $5.50 titles. Although the bin has been replaced by a rickety bookshelf/entertainment center. On the one hand less fun to say, on the other hand less loss of dignity trying to move stuff around digging and leaning over the rim. They also seem to be putting the Halloween discounted horror title in here too.The latest finds:

"Phantom of the Paradise" - the Brian De Palma rock musical retelling of "Phantom of the Opera" from the 70s with Jessica Harper, Paul Williams, and Gerrit Graham. Has become a mild favorite of mine in recent years, glad to get it.

"Still Crazy" - a cute British comedy about the attempted reunion of a 70s era "never quite made it" rock band twnety odd years later. Stars Stepehn Rea, Bill Nighy, and Billy Connelly. A mild film, but enjoyable, the tunes are originals, but written to sound like music from the time and genre.

"The Postman Fights Back" - Not a Kevin Costner sequel no one wanted, buta HK flick from 1982 starring Chow Yun Fat and directed by Ronnie Yu. Never heard of it before, still haven't watched it, but the trailers for it and other HK flicks on the disc look cool. Anyone seen it? The comments on IMDB were mostly positive. I'll probably watch it this week.
Dropo
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 02:30:58 PM »

If I have to go to Wal-mart, which I hate, I never see anything good. I would LOVE to find Phantom.
jimmyd
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 05:02:56 PM »

i have a couple of wal maret 5$finds

frogs
and godzilla 2000
Yaddo 42
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 11:31:59 AM »

I watched "The Postman Strikes Back" while the board was down. I liked it to a point, but was mildly let down by some of the action scenes. Yuen Woo Ping is listed as producers but the action directors are Yuen Chung Yeung and Yuen Shun Yee. Family maybe? I remember from a Dr. Freex review of another film that much of Yuen Woo Ping's family have been active in HK film making on both sides of the camera for decades.

The story is a kind of "Seven Samurai/Maginificent Seven" or really more "The Professionals" or Five Man Army" style film with a group of individuals with different skills being recruited for a special mission. Chow Yun Fat is more of a co-star rather than the lead, based on his part in the film and his billing in the film itself, but he's still the best actor in the cast. As the plot goes on, I was surprised how brutal the film was to what was a pretty likeable group of characters. I guess to justify the anger and vengence of the final battle, but since it was kind of a let down, I just felt worse about what happens to some of the heroes. Some of the action earlier was better and the large fight on a frozen lake was the stand out of the film. Plus part of it made laugh with the thought of how to make the Winter Olympics more interesting: full contact curling.

The dialogue is pretty witty at times based on the subtitles and the acting, I watched it with the original Cantonese mono soundtrack after switching around a little. The English voices on dubbed audio track don't match the characters appearances at all, and from their speaking tones and lack of emotion, it sounded like a rush job. The 5.1 Dolby Surround Cantonese and English audio have weird redubbing of some of the sound effects (like during fights) and muffle (bury might be a better term) the music in the mix. I admit the music sounds a little dated, but the film is 22 years old. It's not like it's as distracting or annoying as say Keith Emerson's score for the Stallone flick "Nighthawks". A  film from roughly the same time that always stands out to me as the gold standard of horrible film scores.

Worth the price, better than average acting, just hated to see some of the characters be treated so badly. So-so action scenes (but the lake battle is good, as is Chow's solo battle involving two guys and a shelf (you just have to see it). Good to see a young (and skinny!) Chow in action. Give it a shot if you find it.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 11:44:01 AM »

Hmmm, I'll have to go looking for Phantom of the Paradise. Loved that movie ever since I first caught it on late-night TV in high school. Used to have the soundtrack, but I don't know what happened to it.

I've still got a backlog of movies to watch from my last trip to the bargain bin. I exercised some restraint and only bought Frogs, Logan's Run, Abraxas, Creepshow and The Cowboy Way. Seen them all before, owned a couple on VHS already, but all of them are movies I have a soft spot for.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Yaddo 42
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 12:10:31 PM »

My local Wal-Mart also has "Legend of Hell House" and "Battle Creek Brawl". Hope they still have that copy of "Strange Days" I've been putting off buying. After the previews on "Postman", I hope they get copies of "Mr Vampire", "Iron Fisted Monk" and "Knockabout" locally. All those plus BCB seem to be part of the same series of budget priced HK movies from Fortune Star and 20th Century Fox. I got "Duel to the Death" a while back which was part of another group HK films from them.

I've seen all the titles you mentioned at Wally World at one time or another, most of them recently. But I haven't seen a copy of "Logan's Run" there in a while; on the other hand I wish they'd ship some of the scores of copies of "Frogs" they have somewhere else.
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 03:08:57 PM »

Got "Eastern Condors" with Sammo Hung, and a while back, "Frogs" with Ray Milland. Good stuff, eh?

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Haze
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 02:40:19 PM »

Ghosts On the Loose/Little Shop of Horrors - $5.50
Leprechaun in Da' Hood - $5.50
Leprechaun: Back 2 Da' Hood - $5.50

They had a bunch of those little Goosebumps adaptations too.

That's just some of the candy!
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 04:55:58 PM »

Yep. Got Godzilla 2000 also, and "Hotshots Pt. Deux". Nice price.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
The Ghoul
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2004, 10:41:39 AM »

Wal-Mart has this Halloween bin of old Sci-Fi & horror..joy! Some good ones I found are Ray Mayland's "X - The Man With The X-Ray Eyes." From 1963...creeped me out at the end when I was a kid. I won't give the end away. This B movie king Roger Corman's commentary is on the DVD too! Also Tobe Hooper's (original Texas Chainsaw) 1986 remake of Invaders From Mars. A little too mello but John Dykstra (Star Wars) did the F/X and Stan Winston (Preditor) supplied the latex monsters. Too bad the script wasn't up to the effects talents. Still a good nacho cheesy B movie. These DVD's have a few extras like promo reels that I've never seen. Not bad for $5.50.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Wal-Mart cheapo bin findings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.