Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:42:06 PM
714253 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Horror Hotel (1960) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Horror Hotel (1960)  (Read 1125 times)
Derf
« on: October 19, 2004, 03:48:24 PM »

I picked up "Horror Hotel" for a buck at the Dollar Tree (along with several others). I bring it up here to rant about one character: Nan Barlow (Venetia Stevenson). She has to be le grande dame of stupid movie characters. As a grad student, she travels to Whitewood to study devil worship/witchcraft (yes, I know they're not the same thing). After coming upon a book ("Devil Worship in Puritan New England" or something like that), she reads a passage to the innkeeper. In that passage, she relates that on February 1st (which happens to be the current date for the scene), a coven of witches will select a young lady for sacrifice. They will take something of value from her and replace it with a dead bird and nail a twig of some specific kind on her door. With this binding, they will be able to call her from anywhere and sacrifice her to the devil. End of passage. Then she immediately tells the innkeeper that her locket is missing. When the innkeeper leaves the room, she opens her drawer to find...a dead bird! She opens her door to find...a twig! She looks out the window and sees hooded figures chanting while walking into the unconsecrated graveyard. So what does she do? Run to her car and head out of town? No! She decides she'd better explore a spooky staircase leading to a basement underneath her room. Could there be a stupider human being?

Has anyone come across someone doing anything this stupid in a movie? I realize it has become one of the staples of horror movies for someone to ignore warnings and go off (usually dressed only in underwear) to explore a deserted cabin only to find a cat trapped in a closet, breathe a sigh of relief and then be beheaded. These at least are usually stupid teenagers. This woman is supposed to be a graduate student, which implies a higher level of intelligence. Yes, I laughed out loud at the scene. It's hilarious. But she's still an idiot.

Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 07:26:33 PM »

Good film Derf ! You really got a bargain with HORROR HOTEL. I really loved the atmosphere is all the fog and the cult. Christopher Lee is in this film but he doesn't  do anything interesting. The ending of the film is quite good. The film is a.k.a CITY OF THE DEAD.

Post Edited (10-19-04 19:42)

Yaddo 42
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 05:28:50 PM »

Bought the $1 version after reading about the Dollar Tree thread was that your thread Derf). I've seen the film before, but I tend to think it's a film you watch more for the look and atmosphere than for great plotting, so I give it a pass on that front.

Makes me glad that a such a good looking film that seems to have fallen into public domain limbo turns up letterboxed everywhere. Guess they're all working from the same source material. Even when I've caught it on channels like Amerca One (also on a syndicated creature feature show they carried for a while) they've shown it letterboxed. Since the ending in the cemetary is all about visuals and use of shadows and sillouttes, I'm glad we get to see the whole picture.
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 09:11:21 PM »

Actually HORROR HOTEL is the first DVD that I picked up from Diamand Entertainment on a double disk with CARNIVAL OF SOULS. It's a keeper.

kriegerg69
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 11:48:26 PM »

Yaddo 42 wrote:

> Even when I've caught it on channels like Amerca One
> (also on a syndicated creature feature show they carried for a
> while) they've shown it letterboxed. Since the ending in the
> cemetary is all about visuals and use of shadows and
> sillouttes, I'm glad we get to see the whole picture.

Not quite (depends on one's point of view): The movie was filmed in a 1.85:1 matted ratio....not a 2.35:1 anamorphic ratio (like the STAR WARS movies, for example). The HORROR HOTEL widescreen is achieved by composing the wide image during filming, and then matting the top and bottom of the frame to that ratio. TECHNICALLY....even though what you're seeing in widescreen is what the director intended it to be seen in.....you're actually not seeing the entire film frame AS it was filmed in the camera.

For comparison, trying looking at a non-widescreen/full-frame version, and you'll see what I mean: You'll see more at the top and bottom of the image.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"Mein Führer! I can walk!!"
Yaddo 42
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 11:21:16 AM »

Thanks for the correction, krieger69. To be honest I don't ever remember seeing a full-frame version of "Horror Hotel". Even when I've rented it from the video store, it had the same on-screen image. I've seen the film from at least 5 different "sources" (the rented VHS copy, the DVD copy I bought, and on TV on two different channels - with one channel having the movie themselves and also showing it as part of a syndicated show "Engima Theater" produced by someone else).

I don't doubt there are full-frame copies out there, I've just never run across one. Which is why it seemed odd to me.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Horror Hotel (1960) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.