Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 05:53:39 AM
714255 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Weekend Watches « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Weekend Watches  (Read 1781 times)
Susan
« on: October 09, 2004, 08:37:59 AM »

Thanks to my local library i have subjected myself to the horror of what was "Howard the Duck". Somehow i thought it would be a nostalgic trip tot he 80's, but it was a horrifying example of a really bad Bad movie. So much so that I had to turn it off halfway through. Tim Robbins went on to Shawshank..amazing. The duck planet went overboard on making pun, but the only thing I couldn't get out of my brain was why these duckettes had BREASTS?? Talk about evolution making leaps and bounds.

The other was "THEY LIVE". I liked this movie and had never seen it. I hated that it moved so damn slow however, some scenes were painfully slow making the end result unsatisfying (and i am a person of patience). Even the fight scene..just put the glasses on already! It made no sense that the guy gave this man his weeks pay, showing he cared for him, and yet wanted to kick his ever lovin ass. Must be a guy thing.  The effects were good when viewing the 'unseen world', perhaps not as scary as it could have been when viewing the aliens. This is a movie I think i'd actually like to see remade if it were well done. And i'm not a fan of remakes. It just had its porky's moments, even with the ending showing a naked woman on top of an alien and then ending credits! Yep..guess they were lacking good ideas on how to wrap the film up. I'd like to see a remake get to that part of discovery halfway through and then continue with the 'what now?'.

Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 11:45:05 AM »

It made no sense that the guy gave this man his weeks pay, showing he cared for him, and yet wanted to kick his ever lovin ass. Must be a guy thing.

LOL!

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 02:40:46 PM »

I really hated what they did to poor Howard, the Marvel comic was quite good and I liked  Howard's tag line 'Trapped in a  world he never made!" (sorta how I felt sometimes in my youth).  He looked like a regular duck except for the hands and he wore a coat, tie, and hat , but like cousin Donald no pants. The girl friend, like other lasses in the comics, was far more vuluptuous that Lea Thompson.  It was actually good goofy social satire.

I still have a couple of those comics stored around here somewhere.  I remember the titles  "From the oven it rises!" , Howard battles the evil , giant  gingerbread man and "When bites the beaver!" about a guy in beaver suit with a wood fetish or somthing like that.  It was the 70's and such things were best enjoyed through the haze of chemicals (it's amazing how many things make sense under those conditions).

They Live! was a rather preachy and plodding comment on the Reagan years.  That really was a long and protracted fight between Rowdy Roddy and Keith David.  After  The Thing, Starman, and Big Trouble in Little China  John Carpenter has really not done a good movie.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
JohnL

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2004, 05:27:09 PM »

>Somehow i thought it would be a nostalgic trip tot he 80's, but it was a horrifying
>example of a really bad Bad movie. So much so that I had to turn it off halfway
>through.

Then you didn't watch the diner scene again? That was the best part.

"She took my eggs!"

"They're laughing at you...and they've got Mr. Code Key."

"He musta had the chilli..."

"Release the small water fowl! Bring me the code key Howard!"
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2004, 08:41:01 PM »

The fight scene in THEY LIVE is one of my favorites.  It's long, it makes no sense and by the end of it they're pretty much just throwing pro-wrestling moves.  It's brilliant, I tell you.

"Put on the glasses!"

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Yaddo 42
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 12:04:45 AM »

I have to wonder what kind of library would have "Howard the Duck"? I still loathe that movie, couldn't get that awful theme song out of my head for a week. Saw it at the theater with my family, I remember feeling annoyed for the entire length of the film. As a comic reader at the time I originally hoped the movie would be good and do well, so that more movies (hopefully good ones) based on Marvel characters would get made. Boy was I wrong on all fronts. Turned out to be a long wait for decent Marvel based movies. Since George Lucas produced it, this could have served as a warning of things to come.

I like "They Live" as an action movie and mildly clever political satire of Reagan era yuppies. Not his best film, but Carpenter has done much worse since then. Isn't Carpenter a libertarian? So the sensibility makes sense. The woman with the alien at the end was a good gag to me. Plus it fit with the ending where now everyone would know just how entrenched the aliens were and how totally they controlled everything. They were literally EVERYWHERE. Not subtle, but it was more clever than the digs at fundamentalism and PC health mavens in "Escape from LA".

It used to air at least once a month on our local independent (later Fox affiliate) station, usually late at night. The local station was supposedly a bad place to work, and their channel number was 54 (just like the one in the movie). So I always wondered if this was some kind of inside joke by the staff.
Susan
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 05:52:38 PM »

Watching howard in intimate suggestive scenes with a human is just foul. Or is that fowl..

Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2004, 06:38:56 PM »

HOWARD THE DUCK is the only fim I actually walked out of the theater on. Just detested the whole Howard the Duck thing.

THEY LIVE is a film that I didn't see till about 1 year ago and I enjoyed it. Even though I've been a long time wrestling fan especially during the 80's I just couldn't stand movies with Pro Wrestlers in them, but THEY LIVE proved me wrong.

Susan
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2004, 06:42:41 PM »

Scott wrote:Even though I've been a long time wrestling fan
> especially during the 80's I just couldn't stand movies with
> Pro Wrestlers in them, but THEY LIVE proved me wrong.

Hey i liked "The Princess bride". Andre the giant was the best actor of them all

Dave Munger
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2004, 06:47:27 PM »

I don't know if Carpenter is a libertarian, but the sensibility of "They Live" is more like something I would characterise as "Dead Kennedy's Zappatista". That should be a font.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Weekend Watches « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.