Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:02:12 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  How to do special effects « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How to do special effects  (Read 1702 times)
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« on: October 09, 2004, 11:03:06 PM »

Hey guys it been a while since I posted. Recently me and a couple of my karate friends have decided to make a kung-fu zombie movie.We got the script almost done but we need to find out how to do all the exploding heads and limbs ripping off fx. We don't got alot of money to spend on this so I'm wondering if anyone knows about some websites or books that tell you how to do this stuff.

Smells like popcorn and shame
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 11:16:12 PM »

I suggest researching some of the stuff Peter Jackson did when he made Bad Taste.
Those guys had next to nothing for a budget but were still able to pull off very convincing special effects through great ingenuity.

Post Edited (10-10-04 01:16)
daveblackeye15

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 11:21:47 PM »

Hey in Bruce Campbell biograpy he gave a recipe on how to make fake blood I'll type it all in for ya:

So you're making a low-budget horror film,and you need gallons and gallons of fake blood? Then, this is the recipe for you!

Ingredients (coats two thespians)

6 pints clear Karo Syrup

3 pints red food coloring

1 pint non-dairy creamer

1 drop blue food coloring

Equipment:

Large ceramic bowl

Medium Sized Bowl

Spoon

Cleaning Products

1. The Karo Syrup is your foundation, the base of you blood. Pour syrup into large ceramic bowl

2. In the medium bowl,stir the non-dairy creamer until it turns into a nice paste.This will provide opacity.

3. Gradually fold the non-dairy paste into the syrup.

4. Stir in red food coloring. Add drop of blue food coloring for density.

5.Test  on white surface.

6. Coat in aspiring actor from top down.

7. To remove, place actor into hot shower, fully clothed, and let sit for 30 minutes or until clean.

Caution: Do not attempt to scare members of your family who have heart conditions--this blood looks real!

I don't think you could have asked for a better horror actor to get a receipe for blood from.

Note: All text is from "If Chins Could Kill. Confessions of a B Movies Actor" Copyright 2002 by Bruce Campbell.(Please don't sue me)

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
I luv dolma
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2004, 11:02:01 AM »

Also read Lloyd Kaufman's two books, "All I Learned About Filmmaking I Learning From the Toxic Avenger," and "Make Your Own Damn Movie."

If you want to crush somebody's head, simply put a wig on a cantalope, fill it with meat and simply crush it!
I luv dolma
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2004, 11:02:17 AM »

Also read Lloyd Kaufman's two books, "All I Learned About Filmmaking I Learning From the Toxic Avenger," and "Make Your Own Damn Movie."

If you want to crush somebody's head, simply put a wig on a cantalope, fill it with meat and simply crush it!
peter johnson
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2004, 01:10:21 PM »

Great topic!
We did the Karo blood thing for a slasher/horror thing called GEEKS!, which got a review in Psychotronic Review & then promptly disappeared.  I need to tell you, that stuff tastes terrible, if you need to do a blood-spitting scene.  Good lawd, try to flavor it with something, especially if you need a lot of takes.
Hamburger, the Karo blood, & dead leaves stuffed into panty-hose & then put into de-stitched or stitch-weakened shirts or trousers can serve for severed limbs.  Be sure to cut the stitching before shooting, though, if you plan to have the limbs ripped from a body on-camera,  as clothing is stronger than hamburger.
Old dept. store mannequins, which aren't all that hard to find, are a great thing to have around.  Very useful for crowd-massacre scenes, etc.
This is key:
WHATEVER YOU PLAN TO DO, SHOOT TEST-FOOTAGE FIRST!!  This will save you soooo much heartache later.  See footage of whatever you plan to do BEFORE you shoot it for real for the film.
peter johnson/denny crane
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2004, 04:14:48 PM »

I used to have a book called "Bizarro!"  The entire book consisted of Tom Savini explaining make-up and gore effects techniques.  It had a lot of photographs and illustrations.  I sold it to a used book store about 3 or 4 years ago.  I wish I had it back!  You can probably pick up a copy for a few bucks on Ebay.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  How to do special effects « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.