Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:41:16 PM
714228 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Website « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The Website  (Read 5944 times)
Scott H.
« on: October 19, 2004, 03:53:09 AM »

Well, I'm glad to see Badmovies.org back on the air after about a 7 day disappearance. Whatever happened, I'm glad it's active again and I hope there are no troubles in the future. To whomever got this place up and running again (Andrew, others) THANKS!!

Scott H.
the other Scott
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 05:15:56 AM »

Seconded!
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 06:55:45 AM »

Yep, I was beginning to get worried.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 07:39:46 AM »

Glad to see we're back up !!!! Does anybody know what happened?

ASHTHECAT set up a new message board and we tried emailing as many people as we had addresses for. I for one was having little withdrawal pangs.

You can check out the other board at  Bad Movies Board[/url

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 08:57:26 AM »

trek_geezer wrote:
> You can check out the other board

No thanks. This board was down all of two days before Ash seized the opportunity to start up his own board and grab as many regulars as he could. Nobody seems to have questioned his motives.

I, for one, think it was a rotten thing to do to our good host when his board was only down for a few days (we love your board Andrew, but it took us two days to replace you), and I'm very uncomfortable seeing that competing board promoted here. It can only detract from what we have here.

Right now, we need to be getting some activity going on this board again, not directing people elsewhere.

Post Edited (10-19-04 09:00)

---------------------
odinn7

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 09:01:39 AM »

Oh wow! It's great to see the familiar black, white and green of this board! Thanks to whoever took the time and effort to get this going again.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 10:05:51 AM »

I am not about to abandon this board, and as far as anyone's motives I haven't a clue.  I never went to other with the intention of leaving this one.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Ed
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 10:34:12 AM »

Ditto to you all, I was almost reduced to huddling under the desk rocking.  I also kept thinking of movies to look up, and no page to look them up on.
-Ed
Yaddo 42
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2004, 10:54:14 AM »

I missed it too. After about the third day I got worried that it was more than a temporary interruption. Hope things have worked out or been fixed where needed.

Definitely good to see the green and black again, and the familiar names again.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2004, 10:56:37 AM »

AndyC wrote:

> No thanks. This board was down all of two days before Ash
> seized the opportunity to start up his own board and grab as
> many regulars as he could. Nobody seems to have questioned his
> motives.
>
> I, for one, think it was a rotten thing to do to our good host
> when his board was only down for a few days (we love your board
> Andrew, but it took us two days to replace you), and I'm very
> uncomfortable seeing that competing board promoted here. It can
> only detract from what we have here.
>
> Right now, we need to be getting some activity going on this
> board again, not directing people elsewhere.

A rotten thing to do?
How do you figure?
On what basis do you think I was being clever and/or sneaky or trying to "take Andrew's place"?
And a "competing board"?
If there was anyone here who could make a successful board that discusses similar topics while still being very different it would be me.  Have you forgotten how long I've been here and how many topics and posts I have?  
Look at the average number of responses I get per thread on here.

It's not a competing board.
It is a companion board.

The truth is, there was no malice or bad intentions on my part at all.
Ask any of the regs who joined my board...not one of them will tell you that I made that board as a replacement for this or to steal away regulars....as a matter of fact EVERY ONE OF THEM THANKED ME for creating it!

Andy, you made a stupid presumption that was nowhere near correct.

So what if I do ask regs from this board to join mine?
I am perfectly within my rights to ask others if they want to hang out at my board and chat about B movies and more.

My board is now permanent...and it offers many features that this board does not.
It is a free country and if I want to make a board of my own then I will...and if people want to join mine as well, then they'll do that and be just as welcome there as they are here.
They can go to BOTH boards if they want to.

I just can't believe you would think that I was being "sneaky" about the entire thing.
G'head, ask the other regs if they thought I was being sneaky.
I would've hoped you could've been cool about it all and joined my board as well.
Guess not...

Post Edited (10-19-04 12:07)
raj

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2004, 12:24:40 PM »

Yeah, after a few days I was worried.  What was bizarre was that I wasn't even getting a DNS error.  Usually if I type in www.NotARealURL.com, I'll get an error message.  Not this time.
Whoever got this back and running (Katie?) Thanks.
PS,I don't think ASH was wrong to start another board.  Who knew how long it would take to get things back up and running-- Andrew does have a few more pressing things at the moment-- and I'd hate to see the community slowly dissolve away like a cheap monster splashed with acid.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2004, 01:18:54 PM »

True, a temporary place to chat was not out of line. But the board had only been down two days when the replacement appeared, and it didn't look like it was set up to be temporary. I'd have waited at least a week.

I also found it a little presumptuous of Ash to decide that he was the one to do this. The guy has always tried to hold himself up as some kind of leader here, and has often pushed the notion that some members rank higher than others, by virtue of how much they post, how many replies they get, or whether their names use upper case letters. He's been known to attack newbies and occasional posters, while sucking up to the folks he sees as the 'real' members.

When the board is temporarily down, and suddenly he's inviting the regulars to a new board that he controls, what am I supposed to think? I figured he was taking advantage of the situation to assert his imagined 'leadership' and it struck me as a slimy thing to do. I've read enough posts of his to know just how tempting it must have been to create a place where he was in charge, then appoint some familiar names as mods to give it some legitimacy.

I don't hold it against anyone for posting on the other board, but I stand by my opinion of it.

Post Edited (10-19-04 13:48)

---------------------
Flangepart

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2004, 03:07:02 PM »

Man, finaly!
Gettin worried there!
Btw, any news from Andrew?

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Acidburn
Bad Movie Lover

When I was your age, television was called Books!

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2004, 04:10:51 PM »

The way I look at it is like this, I love this site and appreciate Andrew for all the work he does on it.  But it is not the only site out there dedicated to bed movies. So are you going to attack all the other sites because they did not start here and stay here? No, it is his peragative  (sp?) to make his own site, maybe it is something he would just like to do to take up some free time.  It does not mean he is drawing a line in the sand and making you choose This site or that, I for one will be a regular at both sites.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The flowers are still standing...
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2004, 05:15:01 PM »

Not the same thing at all.

It's perfectly all right to start up your own board or site or whatever. What I see here is taking advantage of an established board being down. Not every day you can grab somebody's whole membership while his board is down.

Ash saw that this board was down, and set up a board with virtually the same topics we discuss here, and used information from here to invite as many members from here as he could. The initial story was that it would be temporary, but it took him no time at all to change that. And I'm sure he was hoping this board would be down long enough for his to get established.

I call that biting the hand that feeds you.

---------------------
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Website « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.