Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:21:38 AM
714231 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Website « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: The Website  (Read 5945 times)
blkrider
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2004, 05:42:50 PM »

I feel like he jumped the gun a bit too....having a site be down a week is not that unusual an event--and starting a new site after only 2 days is definitely premature.   I haven't visited the new board yet...probably won't.  I waste too much time on the boards I go to now to start investigating new ones.  

Mentioning that the new board "has many features this one does not" makes me wonder about his intentions, though.
daveblackeye15
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2004, 06:45:20 PM »

Honstly AncyC I never thought AshtheCat was trying to take power and replace Andrew. No one could ever replace Andrew's sense of humor, nor his personality, or style (plus he does movie reviews). I thanked AshtheCat (or maybe just thought it) for giving us a place to huddle together in case the worst had happened to this site. And I would NEVER EVER EVER leave this board with the thoughts of "Oh ho!This board looks nicer than this dumb old board, I'm gonna go over to that nicer board. Duh ho ho!" If I were to never show up to this board again it would either be A)I died or B)Some how I lost interest with bad movies and the people who post here (god forbid that!!). So I'm not leaving this board, yes I'm gonna stick around as long as I can, YES I'll still go to AstheCat's board, NO I don't think AshtheCat is being sneaky. YES I still like pizza.

And uh, um ..uh....shame on you for thinking Andrew could is "replaceable" Andrew is LOADS cooler than AshtheCat!
(Ashthecat:dave, you bastard!)

So let's get back together and start talkin' about stuff! (Aren't we suppose to be havin' a FIESTA!?)

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Kory
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2004, 08:27:08 PM »

Can't we all just get along?
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2004, 08:49:09 PM »

AndyC wrote:

> When the board is temporarily down, and suddenly he's inviting
> the regulars to a new board that he controls, what am I
> supposed to think? I figured he was taking advantage of the
> situation to assert his imagined 'leadership'

So you're a psychologist now?
Yes, I do consider myself as an experienced member on this board with A LOT of writing under my belt.  I put a lot of time in here and that has to stand for something.
I have involved a lot of people in many different topics that no one else thought to write...I have made people laugh and I've p**sed people off.
Does that make me better than anyone else here?  Absolutely not.  
I don't think I'm better than anyone else here...contrary to what you might believe.
Sure, I might display a tinge of arrogance now & then but so what?  
Don't we all do that occasionally?

I do have initiative though, and I acted upon it when people were sitting around wondering what happened to Badmovies.org.
I stepped up and made that board happen.
I did everyone a favor by creating it!
They had someplace to go when this site was down.
A place they could fall back on and I think that's a good thing

It was originally going to be temporary, but as I started putting more work into it, I found that I liked it and wanted to make it permanent.
It was never intended to allow me to "assert my 'imagined' leadership"  That's simply a crock.

Look, I was planning to make my own board whether Andrew's went down or not.
Even if it had never gone down I would've contacted many members personally, including you, to see if they wanted to check my board out.  

I had been tinkering with the idea of creating my own board for some time now.

I never sat in my computer chair in the dark, light from my monitor reflecting off my face, rubbing my hands together while plotting & scheming on how one day, if Andrew's site goes down, I'd make my daring attack and steal EVERYONE away!  Mwahahahaaaa!!!!!!!  
They're all mine!    MINE MINE MINE!!!!!  
NOW ALL OF ANDREW'S DISCIPLES BELONG TO ME!!!
MWAHAHAHAAAA!!!!  (notice madness in eyes)

You liken what I did to a villain who will stop at nothing to get what he wants.
You're painting me as some bad guy who planned to steal away everyone on this board, lure them to mine and rule it all with an iron fist.
Come on!

Dude, this is reality.
I think you've been watching too much TV.

I just wanted a board, created by me and helped by others, where people from ANY other forums could hang out and chat about the stuff we all love chatting about.
No, it isn't a copy of this board.  The layout is completely different and we talk about much more than B movies.
It is an excellent place and a great alternative.
All of you are welcome to hang out here or there.

Oh and Andy, you're still welcome at the other board too!

Post Edited (10-20-04 06:11)
Ash

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2004, 09:10:30 PM »

AndyC wrote:

> Not the same thing at all.
>
> It's perfectly all right to start up your own board or site or
> whatever. What I see here is taking advantage of an established
> board being down. Not every day you can grab somebody's whole
> membership while his board is down.

How could I possibly 'grab' the entire membership?  I wouldn't
I could however, e-mail or IM everyone and invite them to take a look at our board.  
I'm not twisting anyone's arm to get them to go to my site.
It's all about personal choice remember?

> Ash saw that this board was down, and set up a board with
> virtually the same topics we discuss here, and used information
> from here to invite as many members from here as he could.

I wanted to point out that the ASHTHECAT & FRIENDS board was actually more of a joint effort between Skaboi, Susan & myself.
We three have been in contact via e-mail and Yahoo IM for a little while now.
I asked them for their input on what topics should be included and they gave it.
Skaboi came up with the idea to look on Archive.org to find members' e-mail addresses so we could contact them.
Susan put a notice on the top of her website to let others know that it was there and we were waiting to hear from them.
They both helped....It wan't just me.

>The initial story was that it would be temporary, but it took him
> no time at all to change that. And I'm sure he was hoping this
> board would be down long enough for his to get established.

Like I stated in my other post...Once I started putting work and time into the board, I began to like it and felt I should keep it around.  Remember, I had been toying with the idea of creating my own board for awhile now.

> I call that biting the hand that feeds you.

Biting the hand that feeds me?
It wasn't like Andrew was my Zen Master and I'm pulling the rug out from under him.
Not at all.
What is wrong with striking out on my own or with others?

I'm free to make my own site whether this board goes down or not.
But you have twisted what myself and others have done by making the idea of the board's very existence into some crazy power struggle over the loyalty of the members.

All of this boils down to the fact that you're blowing this WAY out of proportion.

Post Edited (10-20-04 06:16)
peter johnson
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2004, 09:17:55 PM »

Chirst, folks, this has been big news -- over at Jabootu there's a thread about the missing Badmovies site, etc.
I may go away for months at a time, but I always love to come back, and when I'm in the mood for Badmovie chat, and I can't get it, I get VERY ANGRY!!
No, what I meant was that I can take it or leave it . . . I can quit any time I like . . .
AAAIIIIEEEE!!  
Don't DO that again!!
peter johnson/denny crane
Was it only 7 days?  Seemed like eternity --
Susan
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2004, 09:30:31 PM »

Wow - day one and we're back to flame wars.

I'm glad Ash posted a board, because frankly some of us had no idea when badmovies would be back up. It was nice to just hear from some of you who sent me emails asking what was going on and wanted to reach out and contact eachother.  When I had people getting in touch with me I realized that it might be a good idea to have everyone contact eachother and try to get together.

I was missing the conversation with all of you - also it was an opportunity for others to realize it wasn't just them locked out, and we were hoping someone could figure out what was going on here. I kept checking this site everyday for access, but it's nice to know that there's another place that we can meet up if it goes down. It was nice to not feel alone out there and be able to still chat with friends on topics - since this is the only place i post at.

Stealing regulars? impossible. I nearly wet my pants when I saw this site was back up. Traitors? What the hell is this..pakistan? lol
So much catching up to do! :))

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2004, 01:58:51 AM »

And the website is alive, as myself.  Someone let me know it was down and I emailed the hosting company.  From what I know, they had performed an upgrade and goofed up PHP (they did this once before).  The site was running, but the pages wouldn't display.  If you, say, tried to load an image directly - it would work.

I do not think that Katie reads the board, so I'll say that things here keep me from checking in too often.  My Marines are supporting an entire CSSG and we run at least 14 hours a day, often going past that.  In addition, I am tired of morons with bulldozers, backhoes, and forklifts (yes, forklifts) tearing up my lines.  We take incoming fire often, sometimes every day for a stretch.  The bad guys always use large mortars and rockets (never little mortars, like 60mm).  One KIA and several WIA already, since we got in country in late August.  The KIA was last week, we had a number of rockets hit.  The one that killed that kid went over me before hitting almost right on top of the young Marine.  Sometimes we get the bad guys, but they are not out to fight.  They shoot and run.  Large rockets and mortars have a range measured in kilometers, which makes them getting away easier.

Not quite certain what to say about Ash's board and the argument going on.  I am always for freedom of choice.  People will post here because they enjoy talking, much like the dynamics behind a group of friends.  Ash's new board, under the circumstances, did catch me off guard and I'll spend some time thinking before making any judgements of my own.

Andrew out.

Post Edited (10-20-04 04:00)

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Ash

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2004, 04:59:00 AM »

blkrider wrote:

> Mentioning that the new board "has many features this one does
> not" makes me wonder about his intentions, though.

There are no hidden intentions there.
I was simply stating a fact about that board that cannot be disputed.
It literally does have features that this one does not.
Even though you doubt me, you're welcome to hang out there whenever you want.
No hard feelings.

Post Edited (10-20-04 05:01)
Deej
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2004, 05:28:55 AM »

Glad to see the Board back! Andrew, thanks for checking in with us, remember..."I'm up...he sees me....I'M DOWN"!!! Stay safe and, again, thanks for continuing to think about us, as we are all thinking of you!!

Everyone has potentially fatal flaws, but yours involve a love of soldiers' wives, an insatiable thirst for whiskey, and the seven weak points in your left ventricle.

DJ
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2004, 07:49:00 AM »

I never said Ash could replace this board, but I do say he was taking advantage of its absence for his own benefit. Personally, I don't think he has the temperament to run a successful board, but  I'm talking about his intentions, not what he's capable of.

Post Edited (10-20-04 07:56)

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2004, 08:03:33 AM »

As Ash has said, I did help out with the board.  I have no problem with that.  I'm still a loyal member of this board, and always will be.  But, I think this arguement goes beyond the "board issue", but that is not for me to get into.

I felt it was a good idea to have a place for us to meet UNTIL this board was back up and running.  The board is now back and I am here.  This doesn't mean I'm going to discard the other board.  It's more of a place to talk about non film related things so far, which is one thing that I know a lot of people complained about on this board.  The OT topics were building up quickly.

Yes, I did go to archive.org to try and let some of the members of this board know that we were still out there and that we had setup a temporary place for all of us to talk.  I certainly was not trying to take any members away from this board.  s**t, that's just crazy.  Most of my film knowledge has come from you guys here on the board.  Why would I or Ash want to ruin the great thing we have here?

Just let it go guys.  If you don't want to visit the other board, then don't.  It's certainly not going to harm this board in the least.

Also Andrew, it's good to know you're OK.  Stay safe out there man!

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
dean
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2004, 08:34:52 AM »

Wow, so little time has passed yet it seems like an eternity.

I commend Ash and those who helped for taking the time to email everyone and let them know what was going on with our [or at least my] favourite site.  Going to his board was like running to a community shelter after a disaster, something along the lines of: "Little Johnny didn't make it, but we're going to get through this thing together!"

It was very relieving to see that everyone else was just as lost as the rest of us, and me, along with many others, have mentioned that they were starting to get worried and go through withdrawal!

But now that its all back, how bout we all just forget this whole thing, we'll all be much better off for it.

Crisis averted, let's move on with our lives...
daveblackeye15

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2004, 10:10:13 AM »

All right, I'm sorry if I put words in your mouth. No hard feelings I hope?

daveblackeye15

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2004, 10:15:37 AM »

Phew I'm glad that you're all right. You and everybody else have got to hang in there!

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Website « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.