Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:42:48 PM
713363 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  When Will I Be Loved (2004) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When Will I Be Loved (2004)  (Read 1039 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: October 25, 2004, 02:40:09 AM »

I was bored so I went to this recently released film by myself.
I had read Ebert's 4 star review of it and since it was in limited release, I thought I'd go check it out.
I wasn't disappointed!
The local "2nd run" theater here in town specializes in getting those limited release indy films and they finally got it this weekend.

I also got the entire theater to myself.
What a treat!

("Where's the money Vera!!??")

Here is the synopsis taken from Justmovietrailers.com:

"When Will I Be Loved Synopsis:
Vera (Neve Campbell) is a beautiful, capricious young woman exploring the limits of her sexual and intellectual power. Vera's boyfriend is a fast-talking hustler named Ford (Frederick Weller). Prepared to do anything in order to make a buck, Ford sees his chance to make big money when he meets aging Italian media mogul Count Tommaso (Dominic Chianese). Tommaso quickly becomes enamored of Vera because of her sexuality, her intelligence, and what he perceives as her naiveté. Everything appears to be going even better than planned -- but the men have gravely underestimated Vera, who has a few desires of her own. Ford and the Count unwittingly play right into her hands, and when her plan comes to fruition, the results are staggering."

This is a very talky film that's rich with good dialogue and is definitely one of those where you can't check your brain at the door when you go in to see it.
It is not a mindless action flick...there's barely any real serious action it it at all.
It does contain violence though and it comes quickly and shockingly at the end.
You know something bad will happen but you don't know what it will be.
(and I won't tell)

This movie is sort of a more hardcore version of "Indecent Proposal" and that particular film is actually mentioned in it by Campbell's boyfriend Ford.
He uses it to introduce her to the idea of being with the billionaire so he can persuade her to give him the money....which she wisely sees coming and tells him so.
This is without a doubt, the best role I've ever seen Neve Campbell in.
She is so graceful & elegant, you can hardly take your eyes off her.
For us guys, we get a great first shot in the movie of Neve totally nude in the shower but that is a perk pretty much.
You get to see her full on from behind....but no full frontal.  
Breast shots are also included.
Oh, and she has a lesbian sex scene also that is actually quite well done.

The real treat for me personally was just looking at her face, watching her mannerisms and observing how she lays the trap for both of these men.
She considers both men vile for what they're trying to do to her.
One is trying to sell her while the other is trying to buy her.
She has other plans.

Ebert was right in his 4 star review of this film to state that not many actresses could've played her character effectively.

Go here to read Ebert's informative full review.

I was quickly drawn in by the excellent character development in the first half of the film which is done so well, you can easily believe the events that unfold at the end.
The music for the film starts out with various hip-hop then changes to a equal mix of violin music and then to piano.  It fits the film very well.

The running time is a bit short though.
The movie started at 9:40 pm and when the end credits rolled, I checked my watch to see that it was 10:58 pm.
Official specs state that it's only 81 minutes long.

Go here to watch the movie trailer

I highly recommend this film!
Had you heard of it before and do you think you'll see it?

Post Edited (10-25-04 06:40)
Neville

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 08:58:45 AM »

I've heard about it several times, always in celebrity pictures boards (yeah, I visit those places, so what?). I'm not much into indie movies but I have to admit I feel quite curious about this one.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 09:47:23 AM »

I've heard of the film numerous times since when I do watch TV it's mostly IFC.  This flick was made by IFC Films and they've had quite a bit of publicity for the film.  It looks quite interesting but I doubt I'll be able to see it until it's release on video.

Overall IFC films has been putting out some crittically acclaimed films lately.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  When Will I Be Loved (2004) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.