Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:05:34 AM
713344 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Attack of the Worst Special Effect « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Attack of the Worst Special Effect  (Read 7334 times)
nobody
« on: November 05, 2004, 08:15:16 PM »

I'm in the mood to watch a bad monster movie, but I want to see a monster that looks incredibly fake. I don't care what it's made out of: plastic, fabric, cgi... whatever. So long as the movie isn't TRYING to be bad, and they didn't make the monster look stupid on purpose, then I want to see it. Any suggestions?
Drezzy Mac
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 08:27:35 PM »

Pick a "Sci-Fi Original" movie about a giant animal, and there you go.
Mr. Hockstatter
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 09:51:47 PM »

Pinata:  Survival Island.  A CGI killer pinata...must be seen to be believed.

The Carnosaur franchise comes to mind as well.  The second movie is probably the best, it's actually a pretty good movie if you can survive the special effects.

Oh yeah, let's not forget Sabretooth.  And Boa vs. Python.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2004, 10:30:20 PM »

Any monster movie by Larry Buchanan. It's Alive is probably the best. Monster is a guy in a wet suit with ping pong balls for eyes. Very funny movie all around. Absolutely horrible.

Roger Corman's It Conquered the World has a monster that is extremely laughable.

The monster in Octaman, among other flaws, has a visible zipper.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
I luv dolma
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004, 10:40:26 PM »

Has anyone seen It Conquered the World? The thing touches you and you die! Nonetheless, I love Roger Corman.

And to answer the original question, watch Centipede! this Saturday night. The creatures look so fake.
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2004, 11:06:21 PM »

so many...so many...my mind has blocked most of them

Carnosaur 1-3...
Creepazoids
Breeders

so many

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
peter johnson
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2004, 12:14:28 AM »

I love bad monsters!  
Horrors of Spider Island have 2 incredibly bad monsters involved:  One bad spider puppet & one very bad "were-spider" guy.  It looks like someone trimmed a wig and threw the hair on this guy with a bit of glue.  The end .. .
Frank Zappa's description of It Conquered the World in the Cheepniz song is almost as good as the monster itself.
The visible strings on the claws of the crab monsters in Attack of the Crab Monsters just add to the whole ouvre of the film.
Kaiju anyone?
The Giant Claw
Creature From the Haunted Sea -- you can see the eye-grid that the guy in the suit needs to look out of to see where he's going.  Faker than fake!!
Many many sword & sandal Italian "Hercules' Big Arms" movies -- the titles are all so similar -- featured giant spiders, snakes, "dragons" (See "stuff glued to lizard"), that were like atrocious leftover Macy's floats or papier mache puppets.
The wasp woman mask in The Wasp Woman has a nicely lit zipper in the back.
The giant rubber hand of the woman in Attack of the 50-ft. Woman is one of the single worst props ever filmed.  When was the last time you saw that?!?!
My head is spinning . . .
peter johnson/denny crane
daveblackeye15

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2004, 12:23:19 AM »

Pumaman's flying scenes especially when he flys over a city.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Eirik
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2004, 12:29:59 AM »

Invasion From Inner Earth - The monster is a red flashlight shined onto a surface from off-camera.  I'm not kidding.  To show the monster creeping across the floor, the director has the camera man aim at the floor, and then shines a red flashlight onto the floor and slowly moves it from one end to the other.  If the red light makes it onto a person, they're toast.  

This is an actual exchange of dialogue (again, I am not kidding):

Guy 1: What's that??
Guy 2: It... it looks like a red light!
Guy 1: (With no particular urgency)  Let's get out of here.

There is an airplane in the movie (one character is an Alaska bush pilot), and I think that's where the whole budget went.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2004, 01:29:21 AM »

Ah yes, Peter, the 'giant spider' from "Ator" or the puppet-snakes from "Robot Holocaust"

Post Edited (11-06-04 08:31)

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2004, 10:40:46 AM »

Robot Holocaust also had a pretty cheesy giant spider. They didn't have the resources to do a whole one, so they kept it hidden around the corner, and the heroes fought a giant leg.

It also had the monster that was merely implied. A few bubbles on the water, some suggestive dialogue, and everybody beats a hasty retreat without seeing a damn thing.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
peter johnson
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2004, 11:43:55 AM »

Never seen Robot Holocaust, but fear I have to now.  Never wanted to watch it, 'cause I generally don't find old robot movies particularly satisfying -- though I did enjoy AI.  
With a title like that, you'd never know it had bad bugs in it!
AlexB
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2004, 02:58:30 PM »

He's only in there for a few seconds, but I'd vote for the guy in the bunny suit in 'Night of the Lepus'.
Yaddo 42
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2004, 05:40:17 PM »

Would "Konga" count? Mismatched scale and bad matte shots of the giant ape.

DId I miss it or have we failed to mention the menace of the killer carpet monsters from "The Creeping Terror" before now? The dictionary definition of bad monster suit. The people responsible seemed to be too inept to have done that on purpose.

The "Pinata: Survival Island" monster is pretty wretched use of CGI, as was mentioned earlier. I think I yawned when I first saw it. It makes the CGI "Alien Eve" at the end of "Species" almost look good.

The nagging woman's head in a tray full of blood and the un-menace of the monster in the closet (although only seen in full at the end) of "The Brain that Wouldn't Die".

The "moldy mashed potatoes" face of the Frankenstein monster from Al Adamson's "Dracula Vs. Frankenstein" is the "highlight" of that film. But the "fashion victim with an echo chamber voice" Dracula and the scientist's victims/test subjects who are supposed to in suspened animation yet they still shift around and blink also make it worth a look.
peter johnson
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2004, 07:33:29 PM »

Oh, if we're going to do "heads on a plate" bad, then good ol' Adolf from -- tada!! -=- They Saved Hitler's Brain -- never fails to elicit hiccupping laughter from moi --
I mean, here's the poor actor's head stuck through a seat cushion, inside an unconvincing bell-jar, screaming "Schell!!  Mach Schell!!" to noone in particular -- I mean, he's not even interacting at all with the other actors in the scene!! --
there has to be a special category/a special place just for badness like that . . . Oh, wait . . . I forgot!  . . . badmovies.org . . .
And on that topic, if you haven't seen the household appliances & the caulking gun, cleverly disguised as alien weapons from outer space in "The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra", then do yo'selves a favour(?).  Now that's a "special" effect by those in-the-know!!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Attack of the Worst Special Effect « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.