Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:38:03 AM
714234 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Attack of the Worst Special Effect « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Attack of the Worst Special Effect  (Read 7394 times)
Mr. Briggs inc.
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2004, 07:52:30 PM »

Try raptor island, a scifi original
Mr. Briggs inc.
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2004, 07:53:57 PM »

Oh wait! Try the devil bat!
peter johnson
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2004, 10:15:50 PM »

Okay!  Bats!  Bad Bats!!  (This thread is fun!!)
Hammer's Brides of Dracula, at the end, when Andrew Kier summons the legions of bats to destroy David Peel & his vampire "cult":  Multiple rubber bats on multiple strings, sort of like Christmas decorations, come crashing through the windows in a very scary fashion.  Well, not so scary really, as they're more like ristras than actual animals. (For those of you who don't live in the SouthWest, a ristra is a huge clump of chiles strung together.  Now imagine it done with bats.  There!  You've got the idea!)
Chris Lee is seen giving a "oh, come on!" expression towards a very unconvincing rubber bat being bobbled up and down above him -- it's supposed to be an "emissary" or something -- in Taste the Blood of Dracula.
Geez, people!  Come on!  I know there are more people than this on this site!!  Get crackin' here & write in some submissions -- this is the very reason this site exists!
peter johnson/denny crane
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2004, 12:05:12 AM »

as they're more like ristras than actual animals. (For those of you who don't live in the SouthWest, a ristra is a huge clump of chiles strung together. Now imagine it done with bats. There! You've got the idea!)

He he, I live in New Mexico and definitely know what a ristra is but as I was reading that my first thought was 'how many people are going to get *that* reference??'

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
peter johnson
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2004, 01:55:10 AM »

Muy Bueno, Senor Freep!!!
BUT -- did you see the film?
A mass o' rubber bats --
Amaseo rubero bats . . .
Nice pictures -- put bats where the chiles are . . .
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2004, 10:06:13 AM »

Robot Holocaust has more in common with sword and sorcery than with typical science fiction. It's more of a quest movie, with a chosen one who overcomes various obstacles (amazons, monsters, mutants) on his way to a big confrontation. It's sort of an Ator movie with robots.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2004, 10:52:46 AM »

An all time favorite among many B movie fans , The Angry Red Planet, features several bad effects.

The Martian sky effect, at night blue comes through the window and suddenly turns scarlet red when the sun comes up. When the crew is outside everything is scarlet red.

The space suits have no glass in the visor.

The bat-rat-spider-crab puppet. The ultimate in cobbled together monster making and notice how his legs don't touch the ground when he storms off after being blinded.

The giant aquatic amoeba with the rotating eyeball. Wouldn't a spinning eye be rather  disorienting?

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
peter johnson
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2004, 12:45:00 PM »

"And the HORRIBLE EYE
 And the HORRIBLE EYE
 And the HORRIBLE EYE
 Go rollin' around around around!!" -- Cheepniz/Zappa
Never noticed that ratbatspider's feet didn't touch the ground -- In England that would mean he's gay!
What the hell is the name of that Japanese thing where the giant viruses take over the space station?  They whirred and had a single eye in the middle of their mass, but what made them really special were the numerous visble/well-lit strings holding up thier numerous tentacles.  Damn.  They used to run it constantly at 1am in Virginia years ago -- From the '60's.
daveblackeye15

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2004, 01:09:15 PM »

You're talking about :"The Green Slime" that was a pretty bad one allright.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Derf
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2004, 06:04:30 PM »

There are so many to choose from! I just got "Yokai Monsters: 100 Monsters," which features a monster made from an umbrella. The effects are pretty cheesy overall, though the scene with the rubber-necked geisha works pretty well (her head extends on an extremely long neck and wraps around a guy. The neck is obviously fake, but they handle the face shots quite well; you hardly ever see the woman's black suit hiding behind the neck). This movie is actually a bit creepy, unlike the other Yokai Monsters movie I got ("along with ghosts"), which was more a murder mystery and less a guy-in-a-rubber-suit movie. Their production company is even called Rubbersuit. How can you go wrong looking for cheesy monsters?

dean
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2004, 06:35:18 PM »

My personal favourtie is Gappa, the Triphibian Monster (1967)
(Tagline, 'even mightier than king kong!')

Gappa, for those not in the know, are a couple of flying dinosaur-like creatures, who are creating havoc around the city of monsters: Tokyo.  It sort of has the theme that monsters can have feelings too, despite us wanting to kill them!

I just love crappy Godzilla remakes: the army consists of toy tanks, planes and boats, a volcano made out of plasticine, with a candle in the middle to make it looks ominous, and various other rather funny parts.

Highly recommended
peter johnson
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2004, 08:03:55 PM »

Okay, on Second City TV they had a glowing cabbage "special effect" in one of their low-budget horror parodies --
The day after that ran on NBC, PBS showed an episode of Dr. Who wherein this "monster" crawling up the side of this remote lighthouse was -- tada! -- an illuminated cabbage-like thing that was IDENTICAL to the make-believe alien cabbage that Eugene Levy was holding on SCTV!  
This synchronicity has haunted me for years . . . made me the man I am today . . .
Ozzymandias
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2004, 11:28:57 PM »

I remember that Doctor Who. My nephew was small when he saw it and thought it was a Brachs lime Sour Ball.
Ozzymandias
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2004, 11:33:35 PM »

Yes the monsters in that look stupid but that movie has the coolest theme song.
Open the door you'll find a secret,
To find the answer is to keep it.
You'll believe it when you find
Something screaming in your mind
GGGGRRRREEEEEENN SSSSLLLLIIIIIIMMME!
(Fuzztone guitar riff here)
GGGGRRRREEEEEENN SSSSLLLLIIIIIIMMME!
(Fuzztone guitar riff here)
The Ghoul
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2004, 10:14:03 AM »

Robot Monster (reviewed on this site and mentioned on many lists as the worst movie ever made) is the grand daddy of bad movie monsters. He does all the classic monster schtick, like carry a leggy woman, look like a cobbled together Halloween costume and lumber along like he has a load in his furry butt. Dare I say it, he's the Elvis of bad movie monsters. Pictures don't do him justice to how stupid the ape suited actor with the cheese space helmet acts. When you hear him talk you'll wish they made a sequel. I also wish someone made a Mc Farland like toy of him. Or a furry 12" action figure, that would be soooo f-ing cool with a sound chip too! Ro-Man kicks ass!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Attack of the Worst Special Effect « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.