Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:10:53 AM
713386 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Simpsons suck now! « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Simpsons suck now!  (Read 9426 times)
Dave Munger
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2004, 08:23:06 PM »

>>There is a much more serious problem that's not getting enough attention: Funny
>>parts are being edited out of the re-runs!!!!!!!

>They do that with quite a few shows, so that they can cram in an extra 5 seconds of >commercial time.

JohnL

Do they go out of their way to cut out the funniest line in the episode with those other shows? It's much more noticeable in the Simpsons reruns. Someone start a thread to brainstorm our script ideas.
Gecko Brothers
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2004, 10:23:57 PM »

The wacky stuff started with Connan O Brien. I think first truely bizarre episode was the monorail episode.
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2004, 05:57:28 AM »

>Buffy and Angel certainly had a lot of scope but got too caught up in their own
>incessant soap opera.

Actually, Angel was cancelled mostly due to a network screwup. The WB decided it was interested in developing new shows based on Lost in Space and Dark Shadows. Since they couldn't afford all three shows and they were *SURE* that the two new ones would be hits, they cancelled Angel. Then the morons decided that maybe Dark Shaows (there was already a failed revival) and Lost in Space (the old show is looked at as being incredibly corny and the movie kinda tanked) wouldn't be such big hits after all. Later the WB was quoted as saying that maybe it was a mistake to cancel Angel.

What I want to know is; How can I become a network programmer? I mean, is the lobotamy required, or just strongly encouraged? :-/

>Do they go out of their way to cut out the funniest line in the episode with those
>other shows?

Sometimes. Several witty lines were cut out of the Buffy reruns.
lester1/2jr
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2004, 09:34:17 AM »

every season someone, usually canadian, does a topic like this.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2004, 09:41:13 AM »

And yet the monorail was one of their best episodes. One of the problems with the Simpsons, and I suppose with most shows, is that when something works, they try to give people as much as possible.

Consider the episodes that begin with one situation just to lead, in convoluted fashion, into a completely different plot. Like soccer leading into an episode about guns. That was funny the first couple of times, but they do that sort of thing all the time.

The same thing can be said of Homer. He started out as a sort of slow-witted lout who was more or less a believable caricature of a typical slob. They made him dumber, and it was funnier, because the humour was still clever and on target. But they kept doing it until we got episodes where he was just an idiot who did stupid things for no good reason. Some were still funny, but others fell flat.

People liked the wackiness, so they gave us more of it, without really understanding why it worked in those early episodes.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2004, 02:08:15 PM »

Does illustrate why the show is still going strong. I haven't really liked it for years, but I've been a fan for so long, I still watch it like clockwork. Don't know if it's out of curiosity or sheer habit. It's hard to give up on a show that was great for a number of years, and still manages to pull out a decent episode once in a while. Also hard to break a habit that has lasted so long.

But the show is dying. The quality has been dropping off for the past decade - very little at first, but more noticeably each year. They have rallied a couple of times and pulled it up for a while, but it is sinking.

Not sure what you meant by the 'Canadian' crack, especially when Gecko Brothers and most of the people on this thread aren't. Still, I can vouch for there being a lot of people with discriminating taste in comedy up here :)

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Mr. Briggs Inc.
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2004, 04:26:06 PM »

Simpsons always sucked!
bill
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2004, 08:26:23 PM »

simpsons is horrible now. they include pointless grossout now (the one where Homer's knee scab grows over ralph's hand). the writing is horrible
Wence
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2004, 09:45:55 PM »

Me I am more and more a fan of SOUTH PARK.
One week ago I saw a very funny episode of South Park: "The Death-Camp of Tolerance" (German: Todescamp der Toleranz)
Yeah, that was really really sick!!!

Garrison hires a gay slave whom he sticks a RAT IN THE ASS !!!

The rat is called Lemmiwinks and makes her way out of the gay ass, supported by the ghosts of other animals that died there...
I couldn´t stop laughing - that was as funny as shocking!

Compared to SOUTHPARK the SIMPSONS are absolute s**t -
- they´re too harmless and too boring.
dudeman
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2004, 10:52:48 PM »

Homer used to be my favorite character now I just can't stand him. It;'s like he tries too hard to be annoying. South Park is definatley the better cartoon cause the original creators are still the core creative department. I feel like Simpsons is just a heartless how now, tyrign to appel to the lowest denominator audience. For me Simpsons started going downhill from 1999 (boyband era when pop culture in general was horrible)
peter johnson
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2004, 11:35:04 PM »

The funniest thing on TV is what I'm watching right now:  William Shatner, singing as Denny Crane on "Boston Legal".  
Any show can become bad if it goes too long.  People get tired.  It's human.  Right now, Boston Legal is hungry, fast & absurd.  Shatner really digs his part & you can see the fire in everyone's eyes.  
Cut to 5 years from now:  The show is still on.  Shatner is sick of playing Crane.  He phones in his role.  The original writers have all been fired because they got too expensive.  It's dead on arrival . . .
TV eats its young.  Be happy when you can find anything at all on it worth watching.
peter johnson/denny crane
BeyondTheGrave
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2004, 11:58:15 PM »

peter johnson wrote:
> Cut to 5 years from now:  The show is still on.  Shatner is
> sick of playing Crane.  He phones in his role.  The original
> writers have all been fired because they got too expensive.
> It's dead on arrival . . .
> TV eats its young.  Be happy when you can find anything at all
> on it worth watching.
> peter johnson/denny crane

yeah i am with you on that peter. The only thing i find good watching is aqua teen hunger force and if they go on to long it will bomb. The simpsons just grew too stale. Its been on for 16 seasons! it should have ended awhile ago. for evey 1 good epsidoe  thiers 3 bad ones. same way I feel about south park.

"I know I know ive been exposed permeant psychoses..
at least the colors are nice"- Aeon Flux

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Simpsons suck now! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.