Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:01:37 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  help! andrew and others...looking to move my site (www.310am.com) weird movies strange reviews)) hosting - lots of ?s « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: help! andrew and others...looking to move my site (www.310am.com) weird movies strange reviews)) hosting - lots of ?s  (Read 1521 times)
mr. henry
Bad Movie Lover

« on: December 01, 2004, 04:02:58 PM »

i have a small site (ANDREW was cool enough to list on his links page!!!!!!) using att.net space. (its www.310am.com) the space given is very small and i must use my six e.mail addresses to receive space, so all my pages are grouped into sections with the addresses based on my e.mail names.

i want to convert my site so that i can easily move it from provider to provider without needing to rename files based on folders with my various e.mails.

currently i use a domain name redirect...www.310am.com kicks over to save-latin etc. etc.

how can i minimize the "desctruction" of the links i've developed from other sites? while a link to 310am.com will work, anything linked to a specific page currently uses att.net headings in the addresses. if i convert to a true web hosting system, all links to my current pages will be lost.

please help. any info will help. good deals on web hosting, etc.

thanks all.

- mr. henry
www.310am.com

Post Edited (12-01-04 21:28)

"to be is to do" - Socrates
"to do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
- kurt vonnegut

ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 06:55:47 PM »

Well, first of all, you can use 'relative links' in your site to reference internal pages so that even if you change domain names, the internal references still work.  For example, suppose you have a page (in a subdirectory, just to show that this does not cause a problem) called  www.mysite.com/coolpages/thispage.html

If your anchor tags in your site that reference this page all look like

a href="http://www.mysite.com/coolpages/thispage.html"  then you do have a problem if you ever switch domains.

Change the anchor tags to something like

a href="coolpages/thispage.html"  and if you change domains, it will still work.

Okay, the next thing, you really need your own domain name - is this www.310am.com??  And, you need the dns system to work without this 'redirection.'  Put your site content on whatever host you want to use, that's step one (do all of this before taking down your existing site).

Step 2.  Get the IP address of the host that is hosting your site.  Use a reverse dns lookup, dig or some such, or, there are internet tools on websites that can help you do this.

Step 3.  Go to one of the free DNS services, such as zoneedit.com and create yourself an account. Add your domain and the IP address of the host for www.yourdomain.com.  That DNS server is now 'pointing' to your new host, but the "Internet" does not know about it yet.  After entering you info and creating a DNS "zone," zoneedit will give you two (at least) DNS server IP addresses/host names.  WRITE THESE DOWN and keep them in a safe place.  You will need them for Step 4.  (NOTE: ZoneEdite is free up to a point; above a certain amount of system usage, they charge.  But, I run several commercial web sites on a single zoneedit account and have yet to hit that level).

Step 4.  With what registrar is your domain name registered?  With Network Solutions, for example, it is very easy to change the DNS info (IP addresses of your DNS Zone servers), and it's free.  Some registrars, however, charge to make changed.  In any case, you want to change the IP addresses for the DNS zone servers to those zoneedit.com (or whoever you used) gave you in Step 3.

It takes a while (24-48 hours) for the Step 4 changes to take propagate to the Root Nameservers on the Internet...meaning, it will take a day or two before your new site host is the one that is visible from the internet.

Nice thing about ZoneEdit.com?  You can also forward email from your 'domain' email address(es) to whatever email address(es) you want to use.  You can set up as many (or as few) email addresses using your base domain as you want, and point them to whatever real or current email address you already have (or those created by your new hosting company).  The 'public' will see YOUR domain in the address, not your hosting company's domain.

Email me if you need further assistance.  This seems complicated, but it's really not.  It just takes a little patience to set it all up before you go 'live.'

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
mr. henry
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 10:24:04 PM »

thanks...i will have to study your post more.

some more elaboration...i own www.310am.com and use a redirect to point to att.net web space and all of my pages are referenced beginning with names based on e.mail----att.net gives storage space to each of my six a.mail addresses, so i have addresses as the following "save-latin/etc etc", save-latin2/etc. etc." and so on.

like i said, i will take a closer look at your post tommorrow. thank you for your help.

- mr. henry
www.310am.com
weird movies strange reviews at www.310am.com

- kurt vonnegut

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 03:13:15 AM »

Mr. Henry,

Unfortunately, if your links all point like I understand, your only real option is to move to the new host, then go through fixing all the links.  I ran into the same thing a few years back while working on Badmovies.org and another site I had created.  It sucks, but hopefully you could bang it all out in one day.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
JohnL

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 05:34:11 PM »

>Unfortunately, if your links all point like I understand, your only real option is to
>move to the new host, then go through fixing all the links. I ran into the same thing
>a few years back while working on Badmovies.org and another site I had
>created. It sucks, but hopefully you could bang it all out in one day.

With a good text editor, it should be possible to create a macro that will go through each file and change the links for you. Textpad is pretty good.
mr. henry
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2004, 12:31:58 AM »

thanks all...

what would be my best mode of attack to salvage links i have developed from OTHER sites that link to my site and pages? keep all my old pages, remove the info, and redirect to the new "modular" addresses that i'll be able easily move from provider to provider.

for example, if i didn't know badmovies.org listed a link to my site. i guess that's what i'll have to do. keep the old pages and redirect. renaming shouldn't be a problem as my site isn't that large. i'll keep my current space and start the "new" site until it's finished and then go live.

this would be the only way i can think of getting hits from links to my "old" site to kick  over to my new host and directory system.\

ALSO ALSO ALSO - what is the best way to run a kick ass message board, do some hosts offer this??? (im ignorant)

thanks all,
mr. henry
www.310am.com

"why do you want to shoot squirrels?"
"because they're gay"
- CABIN FEVER

Post Edited (12-03-04 23:50)

- kurt vonnegut

ulthar

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2004, 10:41:35 AM »

mr. henry wrote:

>
> ALSO ALSO ALSO - what is the best way to run a kick ass message
> board, do some hosts offer this??? (im ignorant)
>
>

Some hosts are not going to want you to run a message board due to the disk space and/or bandwidth requirements.  Soooooo, if you plan to add a board to your site, make sure the ability to do that is included in your plan BEFORE you sign on with a host, or you'll be moving again (or having your board on one host and your site on another, which can, of course, be done).

There's a BUNCH of bbs and message board software out there.  Ask your host which is available.  Or, they may say "install your own" in which case you will still need their help to set up the backend database, etc.

One thing I like to tell folks getting into this is depending on how complicated you see your site growing, you MAY want to consider doing your own hosting.  If you have a broadband connection, a spare computer of reasonable horsepower and plan limited site traffic (ie, not like Yahoo or Google or something), and modest computer skills, hosting your own site on your own server is by far the most flexible option.  Simply install one of the major Linux distros, set up Apache, load your content and you are flying (ie, leave all the DNS and other stuff to external free services).  Setting things up takes a few days, but after that, it just goes.  And you have TOTAL control.

Not for everybody, but it's worth a thought.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Real Genius
ulthar

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2004, 10:44:35 AM »

One other thing .. about the links TO your site.  If they are linking to your registered domain (that is currently redirected to the actual host domain), there is no problem.  Move to your new host, change your DNS zones to point to your new host, and it is all taken care of by the DNS system.

You only have a problem if the external links pointing in point to the redirected address.

Did this make sense?

--Real Genius
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  help! andrew and others...looking to move my site (www.310am.com) weird movies strange reviews)) hosting - lots of ?s « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.